Old 03-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #127
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Ormond Beach , Florida
I just went into town to get some WD-40. Bars are off, watched the hitch until the ball was loose from hitch, still locked. I'll try the WD and see what happens. There was a large hammer in the CarQuest store where I bought the WD
😜
When all are awake in the park I'll try again
Thanks
Mike

Old 03-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #128
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
North Wales , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikec1231 View Post
I just went into town to get some WD-40. Bars are off, watched the hitch until the ball was loose from hitch, still locked. I'll try the WD and see what happens. There was a large hammer in the CarQuest store where I bought the WD
😜
When all are awake in the park I'll try again
Thanks
Mike
Mike,

A dumb question -- you have the ball released? You have to push the release forward, then lift it up.

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2016 Nissan XD Turbo Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #129
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The reason to lower the tongue once you remove the bars from the tongue is that it releases most of the tension on the ball and locking mechanism. Sometimes the lever doesn't want to move forward and then upward, but with a little umphh it'll come off, usually. With the hitch head disconnected from the truck, tension on the ball may increase.

It is also possible the locking mechanism in the coupler has jammed in some way. You are supposed to use light oil on the lever where the pin on top attaches the lever to the parts under the top of the coupler. Once the hitch head has been removed from the truck receiver, the angle of the ball may change enough to bind it, so try lifting the head at the front to change the angle while pushing the lever forward and then up. Or, support the hitch head with scrap wood or something else to keep the tension in the coupler reduced. Make sure your feet are not nearby because the hitch head might land on them otherwise. That will be very unpleasant. If you use WD40, it will wash away any grease inside the coupler and ball, so wipe off the WD40 after you get the hitch head and ball out of the coupler and apply new grease. Wheel bearing grease works fine.

Once you get the hitch head off, look under the coupler. You'll need a flashlight to see in there. Somehow, every time I try to look in there, the sun is right above and I can't see anything. Have someone block out the sun. There's a locking mechanism in there to hold the ball onto the tongue. When the lever on top is up, the mechanism should move freely back and forth. Make sure it is greased and nothing is stuck in there. I think it moves a bit less freely when locked, but I can't recall right now.

After this problem is solved, other things to think about—sometimes we leave the hitch head on the truck and put a tennis ball on the ball to keep it cleaner (when hitching again, I clean off the ball anyway and apply more grease). It depends where we are going and for how long. Sometimes you just have to unhitch and park the truck so it doesn't stick into the access road and there's no need to remove the hitch head from the truck.

Everyone has something go wrong with a new trailer. On one of our first trips, I drove away from our site with the foot still on the jack and left quite a furrow in the ground. Someone came running after us with the foot. My wife thought I had destroyed our new trailer. Actually the foot fit better onto the jack shaft after this "modification".

Gene
Old 03-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #130
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Depending on where your camping. You may want to go to the office and ask for some help from a staff member. If for nothing but an extra pair of hands. Maybe there is a helpful fellow streamer at the campground also.
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #131
2 Rivet Member

Ormond Beach , Florida
There is really good news. A few shots of the WD-40, a lift on the lock mechanism and the ball dropped out. Just needed some lube.
Thanks for all your help.
Mike
Old 03-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #132
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Woooooo hooooo

Now you can enjoy the rest of your camping trip.
You now have a story to tell and some experience to pass along.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #133
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Glad that worked out. Post pics? Make sure you lube the hitch parts with marine grade grease!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:22 PM   #134
2 Rivet Member

Ormond Beach , Florida
Run ship,
Now I can add the Pam w/olive oil or Astro-glide does not hold a candle to WD-40!
😜
Just tried to make due with what we had.
Thanks
Mike
Old 03-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #135
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Home remedies. Lol
Old 03-31-2013, 07:27 AM   #136
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Mike, tsk, tsk, tsk......

Remember...
The Ark was built by amateurs under Divine tutaledge,
The Titanic by professionals under their own.

And, screen doors are a wonderful invention, but it is a lousy application to mount them on a submarine !

Happy, Blessed Easter!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:58 AM   #137
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Just picked our new to us 2008 Classic 25fb. The dealer included the Equalizer hitch with the purchase. I've never towed a trailer with a WDH. We had to drive about 60 miles from the dealer to our covered storage space. The Toyota Tundra Double Cab with 5.7L pulled it fine and the Equalizer seemed to doing its job, the TV and trailer seemed like one. We had to drive in in some city and highway and the Equalizer only groaned a couple of times in sharp bumpy turns. The wife was more nervous than me! I told her this design hitch makes a few noises in turns. When we got to storage I was able to back in the AS into our spot without too much trouble. The Equalizer didn't make any noise backing to the curbside at about 60 degrees. We were amused when we drove up to find a 30' Airstream Intl on one side. The AS disengaged from the ball after the bars where removed and I lowered it to where there was hardly any weight on the hitch. There are now 5 Airstreams in this storage area. My previous tow experience is with a 17' Casita with no WDH.

I took the hitch off the Tundra. I need to work out a little more to increase my upper body and back strength. It was a lot more heavy than I expected.

Kelvin
Old 03-31-2013, 09:41 AM   #138
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Just picked our new to us 2008 Classic 25fb.

Kelvin
Kelvin,

Nice you got your trailer, could you comment back in your threads about the brake issues and your resolutions to your concerns.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #139
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
To summarize, the dealer performed the two recalls: replaced the brake hoses and checked if the Actibrake controller was leaking into the motor/electronics chamber. The Actibrake passed the test but I negotiated to have it replaced by the Dexter unit. When I picked it up the Dexter unit looked like it as made for the Airstream. In the 25 FB Classic it's not in the A frame but in a side compartment. All the wiring to me looked good.

Getting back to the Equalizer, I brought my Sherline hitch scale and with the AS with a full water tank, which is near the rear axle the hitch weight was 1100 lbs. I noticed the Equalizer bars were 1000lbs. With the Tundra hooked up and the Equalizer engaged the trailer is level and the front and rear fender measurements are close to each other. When the tech was intalling the hitch the PDI tech, myself and my wife were in the trailer. I would think that is 195 lbs for me, 157 lb for the wife and the tech 160 lbs plus a full water tank (39 gallons) when the hitch was installed. I would think this is close to loaded weight. We would never travel with 39 gallons of water, maybe 10 gallons.

Kelvin

Kelvin
Old 04-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #140
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikec1231 View Post
There is really good news. A few shots of the WD-40, a lift on the lock mechanism and the ball dropped out. Just needed some lube.
Thanks for all your help.
Mike
And ... are both of your feet intact ... LOL ...

* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote