Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2008, 08:23 PM   #81
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Oh great .. here I was feeling real comfortable about my hitch (Equilizer) and confident as to how it's set up. Then, just kind of surfin' the forums this evening, I happen upon hitches then migrated to this thread.

After reading all the posts and directions, tips, measurements, distances, weights, torques, friction, deflections and genuflections and cosmic alignment, I'm convinced I need to take tomorrow off from work ( ) and re-contemplate the whole arrangement before my 'Stream and I part on the road going different directions... Gawd! Education is a scary thing
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:00 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Jaxon,

Actually it's not that hard to tune it up, just time consuming. Do it and you will have a sweet towing package.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:25 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
I’ve had two different airstreams, two different TV’s, and three different hitches

Reese WD with friction sway control, equal-i-zer, and currently using the Hensley Arrow

That is also in order of performance, from bad to best (my data is anecdotal, no flames please)

Like an earlier poster stated- there’s a lot of variables, the info posted on this forum is very good- but you’ve got to do your own scaling/measuring/testing/driving…

Keep an eye on your trucks receiver… some of what you’re experiencing sounds like my bent GM receiver. I upgraded to a class V (reese tow beast)

My 1200/12000 equal-i-zer couldn’t transfer adequate load to steer axle (2500 suburban/30’ slide. 1200 tongue) Loading for travel only increased tongue, and exacerbated problem.
Instead of upgrading to 1400/14000 equal-i-zer, I decided to go with the 1400/14000 Arrow. Performance is outstanding

Also, the ‘measurement’ technique outlined in equal-i-zer installation manual was not adequate-- for MY rig. According to the measurements, it was OK… but on the scale it was way out of wack.

Ps- I picked up a sherline tongue scale, this is invaluable… especially since my a/s, when sloppily loaded, tipped the tongue scale at 1650lbs on one occasion…

Its possible your 720lb published tongue is substantially more?
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:42 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
goor idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon
Oh great .. here I was feeling real comfortable about my hitch (Equilizer) and confident as to how it's set up. Then, just kind of surfin' the forums this evening, I happen upon hitches then migrated to this thread.

After reading all the posts and directions, tips, measurements, distances, weights, torques, friction, deflections and genuflections and cosmic alignment, I'm convinced I need to take tomorrow off from work ( ) and re-contemplate the whole arrangement before my 'Stream and I part on the road going different directions... Gawd! Education is a scary thing
This sure sounds like a great excuse to take a day of vacation or most likely a day of sick leave. Of course, if you take as long as I did to set up your EQ, you may want to consider taking off a full week!

just saying,
time
Old 04-09-2008, 09:10 PM   #85
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Tongue Scale

You can measure the tongue weight with a bathroom scale if you don't want to spend the dough to buy an actual tongue weight scale.

Park the trailer on level solid ground. Put a brick on the ground 1 foot to the right of the center of the jack post. Put the scale 4 feet to the left of the center of the jack post. Put a stout board across the two. Now lower the jack onto the board. You use math to figure out what the tongue weight is based on the weight reading on the scale. In this case, it's five times the reading on the scale.

So, if the bathroom scale reads 240lbs, you've got a 1200lb tongue weight.

Formula is:

D1= jack center line to brick centerline
D2= jack center line to scale center line
P = scale reading
TW = tongue weight

So for example, D1 = 1 foot, D2 = 4 foot, P = 175 lbs

Moment 2 = P * (D1+D2) = 175 lbs * (4+1 feet) = 875 ft-lbs
Moment 1 = Moment 2 = 875 ft-lbs
TW = Moment 1 / D1 = 875 ft-lbs / 1 ft = 875 lbs tongue weight

Keeps it simple by making D1 = 1 ft.

Have fun!
Old 03-09-2010, 10:21 AM   #86
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
Washers for Equalizer

Anyone know if the washers that fit on the Equalizer hitch are only available through Equalizer, or can I buy some at any hardware store?

Jerry & Susan
2007 19' Bambi SE; 2018 Ford F-350 5.4L SuperCrew 4x4
ESCAPE POD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:13 AM   #87
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
You can buy them at Home Depot or Lowe's IIRC. They HAVE to be the zinc washers. The steel ones will compress too much under the stresses applied by the hitch system and weight of the trailer.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:33 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Deciphering the Scale Numbers

Back around post #52, Mikethefixit suggested I put the rig on the scales for a final check. I did last summer when we were on a caravan. I just put a post on this thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...-in-17984.html to get some help deciphering the numbers.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:43 PM   #89
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
The June issue of Trailer Life magazine included an article specifically reviewing the Equal-i-zer trailer hitch. In the article, the author stated that the test trailer was too light in the tongue and had a strong sway problem. He said that the Equal-i-zer brought the rig into comfortable towing status.

I don't think it is acceptable for the hitch to mask the issue of too little weight on the tongue without it being corrected, but it does show that the Equal-i-zer brand does offer a high degree of sway control.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:34 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Old post update

Posting here for the Rollertoaster:
Yep, 1200# bars were too much for the rig after all. We sold them pretty much right away and went back to the 1000# Equalizer set up, along with some airbags on the TV.
After many more happy miles, all is good. Except for that crow pie.
Thanks especially to Andy and Michelle...
Old 01-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #91
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
The June issue of Trailer Life magazine included an article specifically reviewing the Equal-i-zer trailer hitch. In the article, the author stated that the test trailer was too light in the tongue and had a strong sway problem. He said that the Equal-i-zer brought the rig into comfortable towing status.

I don't think it is acceptable for the hitch to mask the issue of too little weight on the tongue without it being corrected, but it does show that the Equal-i-zer brand does offer a high degree of sway control.

Since the Equal-izer's performance is directly proportional to the tongue weight this unit must not have really had that much of a tongue weight issue if the Equal-i-zer stabilized it.

-
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #92
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Equalizer torsion bars offer the least give, when hitting bumps.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:11 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff

Since the Equal-izer's performance is directly proportional to the tongue weight this unit must not have really had that much of a tongue weight issue if the Equal-i-zer stabilized it.

-
Are you saying that a higher tongue weight makes the Equal-I-zer work better.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:29 PM   #94
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini View Post
Are you saying that a higher tongue weight makes the Equal-I-zer work better.
I will field this question so Sean doesn't have to get involved in an in depth discussion of a competitive product.

The friction that is used to dampen sway on a basic Equal-I-Zer hitch is generated in four places. (I am aware that the company now makes some hitches that may operate differently). The first two are the points where the WD bars rotate in the hitch head. The other two are where the hitch bars move across the rear supporting brackets.

There are many factors that control the amount of friction that is created. One of the factors is the amount of force that is pushing the two surfaces together. This force is effected by the angle of the hitch head, how much force is being applied to the WD bars to transfer weight to the front of the TV, and the vertical position of the brackets supporting the rear of the WD bars.

So if everything else is equal and the tongue weight is increased, more force will need to be applied to the WD bars to transfer some of the addition weight. That increased force will increase the friction at the four points and thus increase the sway dampening.

Regards,

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:34 PM   #95
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Thanks, Ken...

You're right on.

-
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:03 PM   #96
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts

I will field this question so Sean doesn't have to get involved in an in depth discussion of a competitive product.

The friction that is used to dampen sway on a basic Equal-I-Zer hitch is generated in four places. (I am aware that the company now makes some hitches that may operate differently). The first two are the points where the WD bars rotate in the hitch head. The other two are where the hitch bars move across the rear supporting brackets.

There are many factors that control the amount of friction that is created. One of the factors is the amount of force that is pushing the two surfaces together. This force is effected by the angle of the hitch head, how much force is being applied to the WD bars to transfer weight to the front of the TV, and the vertical position of the brackets supporting the rear of the WD bars.

So if everything else is equal and the tongue weight is increased, more force will need to be applied to the WD bars to transfer some of the addition weight. That increased force will increase the friction at the four points and thus increase the sway dampening.

Regards,

Ken
Thanks for the explanation. I knew about the head angle. I never thought about the tongue weight having an effect.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote