Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2010, 12:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Southern , California
Equal-i-zer hitch for a Caravel

Hi Guys,
I'm considering buying an Equal-i-zer hitch for my '65 Caravel. Per my trailer's manual, My trailer weights 2,250 lbs and tongue weights 250 lbs (probably unloaded).
I can go with the 4K model (max tongue weight: 400 lbs and max trailer weight at 4K) but I'm thinking I may go a step bigger just in case (600/6000 lbs).
What are the drawbacks of getting a bit bigger set up like the 6K?
As always, thank you very much for your comments and suggestions.
Suti
teeraniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:23 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I don't think you want to go bigger because the trailer will get a rougher ride. There's no reason to, because your 4k lb model is already overkill for your little trailer. I towed with an overrated EZLift for a while, and it was hard on the trailer.

You may also want to consider that the weight of the tongue has to do with the friction sway control, so too light a tongue weight may not be enough to activate the sway control. I looked into Reese Dual Cam hitches and they indicated that the 250# tongue weight was not enough to activate the sway control on their hitch.

Sometimes bigger is not better.

Also, just so you know, fully loaded our trailer runs about 2800# with a 280 tongue weight.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:40 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Southern , California
Thanks Stephanie, I will probably go with the 4k like you suggested. I'm still not entirely sure if I need one, but better safe than sorry, right?
Old 01-16-2010, 12:56 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
I was pretty nervous starting out towing, but our Caravel has been no problem at all to tow. Just try to match the hitch up to the trailer. We were actually losing rivets out of the front panels above the A frame! Since we got rid of the too-heavy-duty hitch, it's been fine.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeraniti View Post
Hi Guys,
I'm considering buying an Equal-i-zer hitch for my '65 Caravel. Per my trailer's manual, My trailer weights 2,250 lbs and tongue weights 250 lbs (probably unloaded).
I can go with the 4K model (max tongue weight: 400 lbs and max trailer weight at 4K) but I'm thinking I may go a step bigger just in case (600/6000 lbs).
What are the drawbacks of getting a bit bigger set up like the 6K?
As always, thank you very much for your comments and suggestions.
Suti
With a trailer that light, the tow vehicle has a lot to do with what you choose. Unless your have a light tow vehicle, you may not need any weight distribution. However, the design of the Equal-I-Zer, relies on the force created by the weight distribution to make the anti-sway portion effective. The construction of the Equal-I-Zer hitch with its square non tapering bars does a great job of transferring shock back and forth between TT and TV. I am guessing that would not be good for your light vintage trailer. I used an Equal-I-Zer for 7 years and did not no how jarring it was until I changed to a hitch with round tapered bars that allow some spring. I you decide on a Equal-I-Zer, I would recommend the lightest bars you can get away with. However, you will probably get a lot of opinions, and I am not representing mine as better than anyone else's.
Good luck,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
You may also want to consider that the weight of the tongue has to do with the friction sway control, so too light a tongue weight may not be enough to activate the sway control. I looked into Reese Dual Cam hitches and they indicated that the 250# tongue weight was not enough to activate the sway control on their hitch.

The only way the tongue weight affects sway control with the Equal-I-Zer is indirectly. The force developed by the weight distribution increases the friction of the sway control. Since the real purpose of weight distribution is to distribute the tongue weight, if properly adjusted, less tongue weight, less weight distribution, therefore less sway control. You could however increase the sway control friction, by using the weight distribution to force more load to the front than necessary. This is, in effect, what I had to do to some degree when I was using the Equal-I-Zer.
Regards,
Ken
Old 01-16-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , California
I've used this Reese 66024 lite duty on alot of heavier Coleman (Fleetwood) tent trailers, worked very well. http://www.reeseprod.com/fitguides/pdf/N66024.pdf

Greg
ZoomZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
You don't say what you tow vehicle is, but I would be afraid any of the Equilizer hitches would be too much for you Caravel, and ride too rough because of the square bars.

I have a light duty, one round bar hitch that I use with a 17' Casita that we also have, and think it is perfect for that size and weight trailer. Take a look at it here: Single Bar Weight Distribution Kit for A-Frame 3205 - etrailer.com
Old 01-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Southern , California
Stephanie, are you using any sway control with your Caravel right now?
Old 01-16-2010, 05:05 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Southern , California
My TV is Honda Passport. 4500 lbs max towing capacity. Do I need a sway control hitch?
Old 01-16-2010, 05:06 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Southern , California
Thanks Steve, I'll check it out.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:15 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Southern , California
Thanks Greg, does your Reese 66024 help with sway control or just WD?
Old 01-16-2010, 05:20 PM   #13

1968 17' Caravel
I use a friction sway control, (pictured below).

We actually just tow on the ball now, but our tow vehicle is so big it just doesn't need the weight distribution setup. If we switch to a smaller tow vehicle, I would like to get the single bar setup SteveH mentions.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2010, 05:50 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Like Stef, we just tow the Caravel on the ball, with no weight distribution or sway control. I've been very happy with the resistance to sway that the Caravel inherently has, and the 250-300 lbs of tongue weight is too little to worry about distributing to the front axle.

But I tow with a vehicle with about 123" of wheel base and your Honda Passport is considerably shorter, at about 106-109" (depending on model year). That makes a large difference in handling. It also is an SUV that rides well with an extra 300 lbs of weight in the back. Your Passport may not.

So the lesson is that "your mileage may vary." You'll have to do some experimenting to find the ideal solution for your combination. It would be nice if there was one single answer to your question, but the RV industry and automotive industries have left us to engineer our own hitch setups with barely any useful real-world guidance.

Generally speaking, however, the Caravel is one of the best-towing Airstreams ever made and I suspect you'll find it does very well.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:56 PM   #15
_

. , .
Quote:
...I'm considering buying an Equal-i-zer hitch for my '65 Caravel. Per my trailer's manual, My trailer weights 2,250 lbs and tongue weights 250 lbs (probably unloaded...
Quote:
My TV is Honda Passport. 4500 lbs max towing capacity. Do I need a sway control hitch?
no offense but the p-port is not a great vehicle design for towing.

it's high riding, narrow AND short wheelbase, has over sized tires/less than ideal suspension and a marginal driveline.

the 4500 lbs is probably best case downhill, with the wind and with the tv EMPTY...

it is body on frame construction so there is potential to inexpensively IMPROVE the ride/towing experience...

with things like a solid w/d hitch AND sway control and better tires, shocks, springs, anti roll bars and so on...

so YES a "full on hitch" may help with towing, even a caravel.

the a/s estimate of weight is 40+ years old, doesn't include a spare tire or lp gas, or water or gear/supplies...

-and perhaps you'll add a 2nd battery?

-and how old are the axles, brakes, and running bits on the trailer?

-and what about the inevitable modifications that come with an old trailer, that almost ALL add mass?

and the issue of FRONTAL WIND resistance is the same as any other stream, so it will get pushed around...

while this might be better than a big box trailer, it still has significant wind and buffeting issues.

-will u be towing in traffic?
-multilane roads?
-trying to go WITH the prevailing speed?

-will you ever have a FLAT tire while towing IN traffic ?

-or need to avoid road hazards?

-are the brakes UP TO capacity on EITHER vehicle?

and so on.

every towing set up is different and every person towing has somewhat different needs or daily conditions or towing experience...

stefs got a full size van, lives OFF the beaten path and tows into somewhat remote areas at a leisurely speed ...

not exactly socal.

MORE tongue weigh improves the manners of single axle trailers...

so getting up to 400 or even 500 lbs at the ball (depending on overall mass) could improve stability...

but THAT would translate into 550-700 lbs on the rear/drive axle of the p-port.

and LIGHTEN the steering axle by perhaps 150-200 lbs...

not a good thing.

the ONLY way to restore that steering axle load (and grip/control) is using w/d equipment...

and including sway dampening with the w/d is a good thing.

the dual cam might be a better choice, but IF going with the e-q-izer consider basing the 400/600 size on REAL weights, not estimates.

neither of these threads applies directly to your combo, but the info may still be useful...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...-do-21015.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...-ii-21000.html

in addition consider changing the tires on the p-port to something MORE useful for towing and watch the inflation pressures on ALL the tires...

properly inflated tires all around will improve stability and the towing experience...

the p-port may also need shocks, a tranny cooler and other 'towing' enhancements...

ideal set up and the proper combo is ALWAYS about the details...

and we know very little in this (your) example except the model names of tv and trailer.

at some point (early on) it will be useful to WEIGHT the rig (all axles) and tongue and honda UNhitched...

those values will provide a LOT of important data in selecting the proper hitch/wd/sway control and fine tuning...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:13 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Light Narrow Trailers and Truck Ruts

Our first travel trailer was a 1993 15 ft Casita. It's max weight was about 2200 lbs, if I remember correctly. Our first Tow vehicle was a 1990 Nissan Pathfinder. That was before I even heard of weight distribution or sway control. The track of the Casita was significantly narrower than the distance between the semi truck ruts in the interstates. The trailer would keep falling of the crown between the ruts and start swaying. It scared me good a few times. I finally learned to do whatever necessary to avoid the ruts. I wish I had some guidance back then. I am wondering if all the Airstreams are wide enough to avoid that.

Regards,
Ken
Old 01-16-2010, 06:13 PM   #17

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post

every towing set up is different and every person towing has somewhat different needs or daily conditions or towing experience...

stefs got a full size van, lives OFF the beaten path and tows into somewhat remote areas at a leisurely speed ...

not exactly socal.
I agree with 2Air completely on this point! We figured out what worked best with our setup over the last six years of towing, which includes where we go and how fast we drive, among other factors. If I switched to another tow vehicle, I think we would have to learn what works best all over again. And what works for you and your style of driving and where you plan to take it might be entirely different.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:56 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Southern , California
Thanks, I'll tow the trailer once it done and figure it out the set up. I will weight the trailer and TV as well. Anyway, thanks all for your suggestions.

Tags
caravel