Old 01-23-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Diamond Bar , California
Equal i zer connection

I've never used one of these until I got my Airstream. When the dealer first connected my trailer I was blown away that the front trailer jack lifted the back of my truck in the air in order to connect the anti sway bars to my trailer.

Is it better to connect the ball, and then use my floor jack to lift the anti sway bar on to its mount instead of lifting the truck sky high? Thanks

Old 01-23-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Only if you need the exercise and want to do a lot of totally unnecessary work.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Jack

By using the electric jack on the Airstream to lift the truck you are then distributing weight from the trailer to the truck. This is the right procedure....Tim

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You were among the luck one that may have found a dealer that knew how to set up a WD hitch.

The following is a description of what suggest to individuals on how to set up the hitch. This is not a 5 min. job but once done you will find the results worthwhile.
The purpose of the WD Hitch is to move weight to the trailer axles and the front axle of the truck.

Set up the system again with these considerations.

Make sure you are on a level pavement for both TV and trailer combination.

Drive onto the pavement while towing the trailer straight for at least 75 ft.

Use the trailer brakes to stop the combination, this insure things are straight.

Disconnect the trailer.

Measure the height of both truck fenders right up through the center line of the wheels. It helps to put a piece of masking tape on the fender and marking the measurement point on the tape. Record the measurements.

Hitch up and measure the fender heights again. Both measurements should drop. Generally I look for a 60 40 ratio with the rear fender dropping more than the front fender. This will depend on spring ratios of the truck put the important consideration is you want to see a drop in the front fender height.

If adjustments are required either take up a chain link and remeasure or tilt the hitch head back and remeasure.

If things do not fall into place, and you would have to be very lucky for that to happen, make adjustments. This is not a 5 min. job so don't start this in the sun.

When done you want the trailer tongue slightly higher than the rear and weight on the front axle of the truck. This difference in the trailer height should not be more than a ½ in. if that on shorter trailers. The reason I mention the height of the trailer tongue as being higher is with the Airstream axles not being self equalizing you want to insure you are not reducing the tongue weight by having shifted weight to the rear of the trailer.

If after you have completed the set up and you find you have trailer sway you should consider getting a duel cam sway control system. If you do install a duel cam system the set up is much the same except that when finished you have to be sure the trailing arms are seated on the saddles while the combination is straight. This may require reentry onto the pavement and checking things again because misaligned cams will change the WD effects of the system.

If you are setting up and have the Dual Cam or Straight Line system I would suggest you loosen the U bolts that hold the Dual Cam to the tongue or loosen both nuts on the yokes of the Straight Line system. Have these nuts and U blots loose before you pull on the level work area. Leave them loose through out the set up and periodically tap the saddles or the yokes with a 2 lbs. hammer to make sure they are sitting directly over the cams. Once you have adjusted this so the trailer sits parallel to the surface you are working on and the truck has reasonable weight on the front axle you can set the U bolts to 75 ft. lbs. and set the inner nut on the yoke by hand and then tighten the outer nut. It helps to put downward pressure, with an 18 in wrench, on the drivers side cam arm while tightening the outer nut on the that side. If not the tightening may cause the arm to tilt upwards and the face of the bar and cam will not meet flush. This is due to the sloop in the machining of the groove in the arm.

I have spent as much as 4 hours before everything came together so find a cool spot to work. And that is why no dealer will ever do it right.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
great tips

Howie,
Thanks for including tip on where to make measurement from ground and to put tape on towvee fenders above wheels, as a place to mark the measure point.

Great idea.

Sort of an aside, we became this past year unable to get front of truck down. Formerly front and rear both came down pretty equally. I am suspecting, since little else has changed, the OEM GM hitch receiver is flexing along the tubular pipe bars and at the pinbox. We aren't getting the required distribution of weight from our drawbar shank.

We haven't detected any cracking yet at the receiver welds, but we're buying a new and more solid receiver to get the right connection between our Equal-i-zer and the truck.

Thanks again for the tips on measuring height from ground.
Jim

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamStreamr View Post
Howie,
Sort of an aside, we became this past year unable to get front of truck down. Formerly front and rear both came down pretty equally. I am suspecting, since little else has changed, the OEM GM hitch receiver is flexing along the tubular pipe bars and at the pinbox. We aren't getting the required distribution of weight from our drawbar shank.
I don't have an image of your hitch but normal ware will reduce the amount of weight being transferred to the front axle. This is quite common with a Reese WD hitch. I have to readjust mine every year to compensate for ware in the head cups and the tips on the bars.

While that type of ware should not happen with an Equalizer head the bars themselves may relax and reduce the weight transferred forward.

If the head is adjustable just tilt it back a notch or 2 and remeasure the trucks front axle.

You definitely want some weight transferred to maintain steering and sway control

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:06 PM   #7
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Yeah, I'm due for a day of retuning and told my dw same a few minutes ago. Pretty much will start over and redo it and see how it works out. Then if it doesn't balance out correctly I'll look fwd to the new receiver.

I guess I'm in for a new receiver regardless. Every time I look at the OEM Chevy one, coupled with all the bad GM receiver reports from a few years ago, I crave getting a better quality receiver.

Next warm day we're hitching up and moving over to the parking lot for a couple of hours of messin' around with the hitch. FUN!

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote