Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2012, 06:33 AM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
If I understand correctly, let me clear up a couple of things, minor to major : the trailer is a different brand ("vintage kin" as they say around here), and the hitch is a Hensley Arrow.

So I can't say I can answer your questions except with this:

The Hensley "head" attaches almost permanently to the trailer coupler (just locked down) and is otherwise attached of its' own devices to the jacks (via struts).

But I do understand the low, bad angle on a heavy hitch head (being 19-years old was a long while back). I've seen folks use a milk jug carton. Lift it on and slide it up to the trailer. And similar ways.

What I'd really recommend is to pull up one of the old long threads on the Equal-I-Zer and re-post this question there. What's great about AIR is that there is (in a manner of speaking) no unanswered question . . . there's already three solutions to any given problem. And whomever it was posted on that thread will be alerted that it is up and about again.

Title search with hitch name in box.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:46 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2019 ​Interstate Nineteen
Prince George , Virginia
Sorry, wondered why it looks a little different, thought it was an old model, but the idea of keeping the equalizer to be attached to the AS all the time is tempting. Since, it's a pain to connect and reconnect this 60# necessity.

Thanks,
mcintoshMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Andy,
Here is my 2 cents worth. Have pulled trailers, SOB and AS, for many years. I have a friend with an SOB, 27'. He bought an Equalizer and raved about it. I found a used Equalizer w/ 1000# bars and towed my 30' Classic w/ slide that has hitch weight of 920# to FL. and back this winter. Tow truck is '10 F150 w/max tow pkg and 5.4 gas w/6spd auto. It was the most pleasant towing trip ever for me. Even in St. Louis, second only to Atlanta for places I hate to tow, I found myself at ease and sometimes only one hand on the wheel. Semis passing didn't bother one bit!! In your OP you asked about the "bracket jackets" for silencing the friction noises. I used them and they did the job they were designed for. I had very little noise from the hitch. I think the occasional noise was from the side of the bars sliding against the L bracket. I plan to get another Equalizer w/ bracket jackets for my smaller trailer when my son tows it to the Black Hills this summer. (As a little added security I put a bolt in the empty hole on the top of the L brackets, just in case the set screws work loose. Some adjustments may not leave a hole above the brackets to do this.) Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
The bracket pads make our EQ brand hardly noticable as far as noises while underway ... you can, however, still hear the metal to metal noises when just moving around the yard / parking. We mark our L-bracket positions with paint dots to ease in adjustment and for use between vehicles. Ask your wife or daughter for some old fingernail polish; that makes the job easy!
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote