Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-04-2011, 06:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master
 
SteveH's Avatar
 
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,311
Equal-i-zer 600/6000

Anyone ever used a 600/6000 pound Equal-i-zer hitch with a heavier trailer...say maybe an 8000 pound? Would it be safe? What I know about the bars, it seems like it would work, but isn't the head smaller also?
__________________

__________________
Regards,
Steve
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
 
RUMSHIP's Avatar
 
1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 325
Images: 16
There are numerous threads on hitching. They all end the same way, many strong minded individuals banging there heads against the computer screen trying to prove there point is more right then the other guy. Thanks for starting yet another debate. Easy answer to question. Get the proper size for the weight of your rig and enjoy a cup of joe by the campfire. No disrespect.
__________________

__________________
Happiness only real when shared.
Christopher Johnson McCandless
2/12/68 - 8/18/92
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
SteveH's Avatar
 
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,311
Yes, Rumship, I've read most all the hitch threads, and participated in a lot of them.

I've asked some specific questions here, and I'd like to hear from those who have experience with the EqualI-zer. Do you have experience with one?
__________________
Regards,
Steve
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,270
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Anyone ever used a 600/6000 pound Equal-i-zer hitch with a heavier trailer...say maybe an 8000 pound? Would it be safe? What I know about the bars, it seems like it would work, but isn't the head smaller also?

Hi, may I ask, why you ask this question since you are a Propride person? Or is this one of those, it's for a friend of mine type deals?
__________________
Bob

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
SteveH's Avatar
 
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, may I ask, why you ask this question since you are a Propride person? Or is this one of those, it's for a friend of mine type deals?
No, I'm not getting rid of the ProPride. It's for a potential temporary thing I am contemplating.
__________________
Regards,
Steve
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,409
Images: 5
Steve, If EQ would wake up and make the bars interchangeable, I might still be an Eq guy. IMHO, the 6000 lb head is the problem.

I would need a 10,000# head and 600# bars for my rig. Ain't no such animal. I'm a little chicken to sleeve the head so a 600# bar would fit, and REALLY chicken to take a grinder to 1000# bars to increase flex. (both had been suggested to me in the past)
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
SteveH's Avatar
 
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Steve, If EQ would wake up and make the bars interchangeable, I might still be an Eq guy. IMHO, the 6000 lb head is the problem.

I would need a 10,000# head and 600# bars for my rig. Ain't no such animal. I'm a little chicken to sleeve the head so a 600# bar would fit, and REALLY chicken to take a grinder to 1000# bars to increase flex. (both had been suggested to me in the past)
Yes, all this I understand. But would you personally use a 6000 lb head with a 8000 lb load? Would it handle it, temporarily, or would it self destruct?
__________________
Regards,
Steve
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
SteveH's Avatar
 
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,311
OK, found some specs: Equal-i-zer® Hitch - Product Info - Specifications

In the weight section of the hitch heads, both the 6000 and the 10000 hitch head boxes weigh 62 pounds. Seems like the heads are at least the same amount of "mass"?

Has anyone compared the 6000 and 10000 pound heads side by side?
__________________
Regards,
Steve
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
 
2010 27' FB International
La Crescent , Minnesota
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 95
We have an Equl-i-zer hitch. We used it on our 22'CCD and now use it on our 27'.
I want to see where this goes.
Jay
__________________
mjayjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,409
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Yes, all this I understand. But would you personally use a 6000 lb head with a 8000 lb load? Would it handle it, temporarily, or would it self destruct?
No, I wouldn't risk it. It's one thing to risk smaller bars...you're still connected. I'd never risk an under rated ball, head, nor receiver.
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:29 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,409
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjayjensen View Post
We have an Equl-i-zer hitch. We used it on our 22'CCD and now use it on our 27'.
I want to see where this goes.
Jay
What's the rating though?
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar

 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,409
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
OK, found some specs: Equal-i-zer® Hitch - Product Info - Specifications

In the weight section of the hitch heads, both the 6000 and the 10000 hitch head boxes weigh 62 pounds. Seems like the heads are at least the same amount of "mass"?

Has anyone compared the 6000 and 10000 pound heads side by side?
That's interesting.........wonder what Eq would say?
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:33 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
SteveH's Avatar
 
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
That's interesting.........wonder what Eq would say?
Well, I think knowing how lawyers are these days, and how our society is today, we already know the answer to that question.
__________________
Regards,
Steve
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master
 
SteveH's Avatar
 
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, may I ask, why you ask this question since you are a Propride person? Or is this one of those, it's for a friend of mine type deals?
What I want to do is buy a 600/6000 pound used hitch that is available here, and use it to tow a 8000 +,- trailer 1000 miles, and then resell the hitch. I don't want to move my ProPride.
__________________

__________________
Regards,
Steve
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
looking for 22' with equal size side windows.... turfclubroad 1980 Caravelle 7 01-07-2010 07:05 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.