Old 06-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
equa-li-zer model 90-100-1000

tounge weight 1000 klbs....trailer weight 10,000 lbs.....this is what i have been using...what the dealer recommended for my 08 25fb safari gvw 7300......set up incorrectly, i believe at the onset by the dealer and soon i began to get dangerous and study the instructions and set it up the way i thought was correct.....and there it stayed for about 25000 miles with no problems other than the travel on the frame...
it was then, last october when i ask cc II in buda to help and replace the bolts that hold the unit to the trailer frame......they did and it was not long after that that the bolts began to shear off the frame about 1000 miles ...and the last time this happened they sheared my propane line.......and i was able to make it back to ccii and they discovered (by accident) that the head of the hitch was cracked and they contacted the mfg and the head was replaced free....additionally they included a new set of bolt plates to hold the bars........and of course the dealer competely set the hitch up again....completely different than it had been the previous 25000 miles...

and then the hitch receiver twist completely OFFFFFFFFFFFabout 6000 miles down the road.......

WTF OVER
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 093.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	351.6 KB
ID:	131509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 097.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	366.7 KB
ID:	131510  

Name:	Picture 098.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	131511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 096.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	365.5 KB
ID:	131512  

WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher24 View Post
tounge weight 1000 klbs....trailer weight 10,000 lbs.....this is what i have been using...what the dealer recommended for my 08 25fb safari gvw 7300......set up incorrectly, i believe at the onset by the dealer and soon i began to get dangerous and study the instructions and set it up the way i thought was correct.....and there it stayed for about 25000 miles with no problems other than the travel on the frame...
it was then, last october when i ask cc II in buda to help and replace the bolts that hold the unit to the trailer frame......they did and it was not long after that that the bolts began to shear off the frame about 1000 miles ...and the last time this happened they sheared my propane line.......and i was able to make it back to ccii and they discovered (by accident) that the head of the hitch was cracked and they contacted the mfg and the head was replaced free....additionally they included a new set of bolt plates to hold the bars........and of course the dealer competely set the hitch up again....completely different than it had been the previous 25000 miles...

and then the hitch receiver twist completely OFFFFFFFFFFFabout 6000 miles down the road.......

WTF OVER
Your anger will not go away until you make some changes in your hitch.

First of all, the Equalizer brand bars have very little give, or bend, which in turn, transfers much more road shock to the trailer as well as the ball mount.

With the trailer and tow vehicle you have, you should be using no more than 600 pound bars.

But, if you wish to further improve the issue of failures, I would suggest you look into a Reese 600 pound full sway control hitch. Those bars offer much more flexing than the Equalizer could ever give you, as well as a far superior torsion sway control.

Andy

Old 06-04-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher24 View Post

WTF OVER
Perhaps this article will help you.

The Hitch Torsion Bar Story

Andy
Old 06-04-2011, 06:15 PM   #4
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs down Sad but true....

I have retired from the Chevy store but as of two years ago this was still a concern..http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...les-34603.html

When we got our 06 Burb the first thing I did was install a Tow Beast...45008 - Reese Titan® Class V Receiver - RedTrailers.com

Go thru the entire thread...'yer not alone...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3 REESE CLASSV.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	374.4 KB
ID:	131523   Click image for larger version

Name:	2006 Suburban OEM reciever 003.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	323.6 KB
ID:	131524  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote