Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2010, 04:16 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Good info Terry. That explains it. thnxs
Old 04-07-2010, 04:49 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Many of them were "fixed" by Airstream after this tendency was discovered. The one I towed had not been retrofitted with the "fix". The "fix" is to weld several hundred pounds of steel into the tongue of the trailer. I didn't go into that because it was not relevant to the topic.
Quite relevant as Airstream did exactly the opposite of my silly idea by adding weight to the tongue instead of removing it.

Another question: does the amount of axles on the trailer reduces sway?
gamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:07 PM   #43
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamana View Post
Quite relevant as Airstream did exactly the opposite of my silly idea by adding weight to the tongue instead of removing it.

Another question: does the amount of axles on the trailer reduces sway?
Single axle trailers will tend to sway more than multi-axle trailers.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:21 PM   #44
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Axles don't reduce sway. Tire sidewall stiffness reduces sway.

More axles = more tires = more sidewall stiffness = less sway.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

Miami , Florida
That's what I thought. I always wondered why trailers were not built with two axles far apart with the front axle built on pivot (like a car). It would reduce the sway and lighten the tongue, no?
Old 04-07-2010, 06:23 PM   #46
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
Axles don't reduce sway. Tire sidewall stiffness reduces sway. More axles = more tires = more sidewall stiffness = less sway.

so 6 tires on ONE axle = 6 tires on 3 axles, in relation to sway control or stability?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:15 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Land of fruits and nuts , California
Go big or go home. All these gimmicks you're thinking of will cost more in the long run and will leave you upside down in a ditch in short order.

Do it right or not at all.
Airstream01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:29 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream01 View Post
Go big or go home. All these gimmicks you're thinking of will cost more in the long run and will leave you upside down in a ditch in short order.

Do it right or not at all.
Well, you view it as gimmicks. I view it as thoughts. I am not an engineer, builder or stunt man, I certainly don't like flipping into ditches and, as a matter of fact, I know just about nothing about sway. I would therefore use, like everyone else, a good WD, sway control and TV to tow an AS.

BUT, going back to concepts, considering that all objects in motion tend to sway from outside forces, it is obvious that some objects do better than others in controlling sway. A car, for example, is subjected to the same outside forces than the trailer but it handles sway better. You could say that the car is smaller (lower center of gravity) than the trailer but even if you take a bus the same size as the trailer, it will still handle better.

I could be completely wrong but my guts tell me that the tires in each corner of the car/bus are the main factor as to why the sway is controlled.

Now, why would the principle not be applicable to a trailer?

go ahead. bury me.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:58 PM   #49
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I believe one of the reasons axles/tires are located close together on a trailer is they would simply scrub and scuff way too much in turns if they were located out at the corners. A car's front wheels steer so that isn't a problem.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:05 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
I believe one of the reasons axles/tires are located close together on a trailer is they would simply scrub and scuff way too much in turns if they were located out at the corners. A car's front wheels steer so that isn't a problem.
true, unless the front axle of the trailer is also on a pivot, similar to those big farm trailers.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:44 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
There are trailers with wheels at "the four corners." In this country, we call them "hay wagons." The small version are called "little red wagons." They both have front wheels that steer.

As for your theory of sway, motorcycles can be extremely stable and they only have two wheels. I'm also going to disagree with Mark Doane. The flex of tire sidewall can be important for vehicle handling on corners, but when it comes to travel trailers, properly balanced and aligned running gear is far more important.

A properly aligned, balanced and loaded single-axle trailer correctly hitched can certainly pull (and track) better than a poorly aligned, unbalanced and improperly loaded and/or hitched dual axle trailer. Dual axles are more forgiving because of the additional friction between the road and the tire. Try this. Take a roller skate. With only two wheels on the ground, roll it in an "S" path. It moves back and forth pretty easily. Now follow the same path with all four wheels on the ground.

Most vehicles have all kinds of improvements that trailers don't have, like independent front (and rear) suspensions. If you want some insight into why trailers sway, I'll let you take a spin in our '66 Dodge D200 with single beam axle front suspension.

Here's the thing. What you see on the road today, trailers and vehicles, represents the cumulative experience of billions of miles traveled and the thoughts of some of the finest engineering minds the world... and a heckuva lots of compromising to make things affordable. I appreciate the brainstorming, but there's some common sense reasons why travel trailer have the current hitch/ball setup with tires that don't steer. Again, try a practical experience. Put your kid in a little red wagon and pull him (or her) over a rough surface. Because the wagon wheels can turn, they do (even if you are trying real hard). When the wheels turn, the wagon's momentum shifts and you have real sway on your hands.

Now, if you made a travel trailer with eight or ten axles, it probably wouldnt sway much (particularly if everything was aligned), but I wouldn't want to turn it often.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:18 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' SS International
Pasadena , California
Great idea, go right ahead... I can't believe not one trailer manufacturer has thought about this...
flmgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:43 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I do not recommend this or suggest doing it, but I think you would be much better off installing a water tank on the front bumper of your tow vehicle for the added weight needed to keep the front wheels on the ground. This is still crazy, but to me, makes a lot more sense than your idea of weight in the rear of the trailer.

Note: I would never do this, but this thread needs someone to stir the pot.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:35 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Odd no one mentioned fifth wheels or the Draw tite hitch that basically puts the pivot point under the tow vehicle's rear axle.

Just wanted to toss a bit of petrol on the fire.

Paula
Old 04-07-2010, 11:41 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
Back on page two, (I think), of this thread, Jammer hit the nail on the head, with just three words; "moment of inertia". This concerns yaw around the polar axis, and the stability is enhanced when the moments are asemmetrical in relation to the trailer axle(s).
rangebowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:19 AM   #56
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Here's an interesting link; I took several classes during graduate school from the author, and was the teaching assistant one spring in his class in vehicle stability back in the 80s.... Equation 5.44 on page 95 is relevant...

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:11 AM   #57
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
Here's an interesting link; I took several classes during graduate school from the author, and was the teaching assistant one spring in his class in vehicle stability back in the 80s.... Equation 5.44 on page 95 is relevant...

- Bart
Thanks for the link, I've bookmarked it for future perusal.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:58 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
The link about the single degree of freedom model is a common misdirection in these discussions. It's failure is that it assumes an infinite mass tow vehicle with rotation around the hitch point.

Trailer sway is most often rotation about the trailer's center of mass pushing a limited weight tow vehicle around.

There are two key points about trailer sway that need emphasis IMHO. One is that it cannot be eliminated but only reduced to something comfortable. The other is that it is the driver response that is often the most significant factor in escalating episodes. That is due to the fact that most hitches tend to promote oversteer and many drivers don't compensate properly.

As for 'wheels on the corner' trailers, I saw a bunch of them heading up a canyon while at a rally last year -- sheepherders on their way to shear a flock. For most of us, the simplicity of a centered axle trailer is good enough.

As for size, some of the best sway handling advice I have seen is from tent trailer owners. Smaller trailers can be quite active but they don't have the weight to really push around the tow vehicle.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:56 AM   #59
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanl View Post
The link about the single degree of freedom model is a common misdirection in these discussions. It's failure is that it assumes an infinite mass tow vehicle with rotation around the hitch point.

Trailer sway is most often rotation about the trailer's center of mass pushing a limited weight tow vehicle around.

There are two key points about trailer sway that need emphasis IMHO. One is that it cannot be eliminated but only reduced to something comfortable. The other is that it is the driver response that is often the most significant factor in escalating episodes. That is due to the fact that most hitches tend to promote oversteer and many drivers don't compensate properly.

As for 'wheels on the corner' trailers, I saw a bunch of them heading up a canyon while at a rally last year -- sheepherders on their way to shear a flock. For most of us, the simplicity of a centered axle trailer is good enough.

As for size, some of the best sway handling advice I have seen is from tent trailer owners. Smaller trailers can be quite active but they don't have the weight to really push around the tow vehicle.
You'll note that the text starts with a single DOF model; the final analysis I referred on on page 95 is a three DOF approach, and includes the effects of tongue length, CG position, speed, polar moment and damping on stability.

I completely concur with your comments regarding driver input; I've driven rigs that demonstrated complete phase reversal on input in that counter-steering produced more pronounced sway rather than reducing the problem; if one steered with the sway it went away.

Of course, a more complete analysis would include any roll steer due to trailing axles; I've not seen such in the literature in casual search, however. It's clear that the dynamics of trailer sway are complex, but that some sway behaviors can be predicted with relatively simple models.

One thing I'm curious about - where is the dissipative force coming from in the Reese twin cam hitches? It seems as if those bars act more as springs to generate a force proportional to hitch angle than as a traditional damper.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:19 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
>>hampstead=This is why larger tanks (water, fuel, etc.) often have baffles.<<

Baffles do not stop the water from moving,, it just divides the large mass it into a smaller moving masses. Still creates the same problem but just minimize others such as water slide/Tip.

Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote