Old 07-26-2015, 10:15 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
A tip from my then 9 year-old daughter when she saw us struggling with the greasy hitch head and bars; when you expose the grease covered ball, pop a new sandwich baggie over it. Do the same with the bars as you remove them. The bars and ball are then effectively grease-free and can be stored much more easily - we put the head and bars into the outside storage compartment at the rear of the Airstream or stow them in the back of the minivan as there's plenty of room with the third row of seats folded away.

When you need to re-fit the bars and hitch up, simply discard the used baggies. They cost a couple of dollars for a large box so there's no real expense involved; a box will last us a season or two.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:29 AM   #16
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Thank you Wanderer, SSquared, and Steve. I am going to use a mixture of the ideas based on what I have laying around the garage. I know I have some drilled pins that will accept a lock, several locks all requiring the same key, and at least a hundred used bags that I could not throw away as per my wife's instructions. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 07-27-2015, 05:06 AM   #17
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I used to store my weight bars in the outside storage compartment under the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Thanks m.hony. My Storage area is full of junk already. I'm afraid I would get everything covered with grease if I attempted to stick anything else in there. Good idea for over the winter. Jim

Old 07-27-2015, 08:28 AM   #18
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Ambiguous reference. Her instructions were to throw the bags away since they contained my daily fruit ration or health cookies or other items that she deems necessary for me to consume. Now how does that make sense since I may need them in the future, like now. As Charlie would say, winning. Found my extra hitch pin and lock. Actually found a bunch of stuff. Various shanks, my old Reese Dual Cam. (Great hitch). Several CB Radios. One day, I will have to organize the garage. Retirement project I guess. Sometime in the future. Gotta make hay when the sun shines. Jim

Old 07-27-2015, 07:08 PM   #19
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
I initially thought that I would get one wearing out of the baggies but they are tougher than that. Very pleased. I will no longer complain about waisting a bag on a few grapes. JimClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1438045663.001463.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	244041

Old 07-27-2015, 08:18 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
Thanks m.hony. My Storage area is full of junk already. I'm afraid I would get everything covered with grease if I attempted to stick anything else in there. Good idea for over the winter. Jim

I wrapped the greasy ends in old towels.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:33 PM   #21
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Another 'option' for the greasy bit ends...

Get a couple sections of 2 inch hose and slide over the ends.. If you get the clear vinyl hose it is easy to handle..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:27 PM   #22
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Thank you cwf. A great cost effective option. Jim

Old 10-03-2015, 05:08 PM   #23
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
I have decided that I am not happy with the Eaz Lift hitch and sway bar performance on my Jeep after using it for a trip to the Maritimes and another to Florida. It does not do the same job as my old Hensley which seemed to provide effortless control for the driver, vehicle, and Airstream combination.The Hensley was simply far superior at controlling sway and about the same at transferring weight. Sway was non existant. However, the Hensley was history after it broke 3 times and a grease leak at the chambers holding the WD bars was not repairable. The Eaz Lift sway bars have now broken 3 times over two trips. It is incredibly jittery on bad roads, nasty wind and it is really noisy in the rain. Not good enough. Fortunately all malfunctions with both hitches occurred in various parking lots. My Reese Dual Cam never malfunctioned and provided much more control than the Eaz Lift with the friction anti sway bars although the Reese was used only with my 25' Safari. 300,000k no problems. With a 30' Signature and Jeep combination, it is now time to try a Pro Pride. Unless Tino can convince me that his new system is better. Jim

Old 10-04-2015, 12:51 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
That's disappointing, Jim. Mind you, real world tales of woe all help to inform others when making decisions.

I'm no advocate for Eaz-Lift, but it is all I know; I have no other experience on which to make a comparison. I will say, though, that I've had very little trouble with the set up, albeit that we don't do that much traveling. I've no doubt that if I tried the Hensley then I'd probably complain about the Eaz-Lift but until then, I'll continue to enjoy the relatively easy ride I get from the current system.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:57 PM   #25
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Hi Steve, The Eaz Lift seems to have a loyal following and your experience is typical. I think my experience is related to the relatively short wheel base Jeep and a pretty big Airstream which is why I went for the Hensley to start with. I had a look at a Pro Pride today at the storage yard and it is much beefier than the Hensley. It has more support in the weak area around the stinger insert and more heavy duty spring bar jacks. I am looking forward to trying it. Hope Can Am can arrange it. I will check tomorrow. Jim

Old 10-05-2015, 07:51 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Hi Steve, The Eaz Lift seems to have a loyal following and your experience is typical. I think my experience is related to the relatively short wheel base Jeep and a pretty big Airstream which is why I went for the Hensley to start with. I had a look at a Pro Pride today at the storage yard and it is much beefier than the Hensley. It has more support in the weak area around the stinger insert and more heavy duty spring bar jacks. I am looking forward to trying it. Hope Can Am can arrange it. I will check tomorrow. Jim
I shall follow your experiences with interest, Jim. I'm going to need a new receiver next season as the old Hidden Hitch, as modified by Andy, is not only rusted badly (thanks Canadian winter) but the receiver box has become deformed with the loading exerted by the Eaz-Lift bars. Whilst doing that I may move to the Pro-Pride at the same time. I've never heard Andy express an opinion on it and I know that he doesn't sell them as Sean does all his own selling. I assume he and Sean are often in contact and that Andy has favourable things to say. Keep us informed, Jim.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:35 AM   #27
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Another trip, another broken sway bar. This time at the gas station making a normal turn to get out of the place. The sway system is just not good enough. The thing must perform during normal turns, tight turns, angular turns, any turn. No problem with the weight distribution part.
I saw a real nice west bound setup near Gananoque on Friday. I think the tow vehicle was a cream coloured SUV and it was a newer Airstream. Jim

Old 08-13-2016, 05:29 PM   #28
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , Ontario
Quote:
Where does one store the WD bars and hitch head when storing the Airstream!
Apologies for re-opening an older thread, but I was looking for ideas on how to store the bars. I found two of these padded fishing rod cases at W_mart on sale at $25 per. Each one holds one torsion bar perfectly. It zips up to keep the greasy parts inside and I can store them in the TV while at the camp site.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fishing Rod Case.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	268986

I put the head unit and sway bar in a large canvas tool bag.

WBCCI #6497

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948
Adventure.AS is online now   Reply With Quote