Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2004, 09:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Rivet Eaz lift

I have an Eaz Lift WD hitch. Is it possible to add dual cam sway control to this hitch. If so any thoughts where to buy? Thanks for the help
ardenrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 11:16 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Eaz lift

Greetings ardenrj!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardenrj
I have an Eaz Lift WD hitch. Is it possible to add dual cam sway control to this hitch. If so any thoughts where to buy? Thanks for the help
I seriously doubt that the Dual Cam system is compatible with the round-bars utilized in the Eaz Lift hitches that I have seen. The saddles are designed to mount on the flat surface of the weight distribution bar, and it was my understanding that the system isn't compatible with the (Pre-High Performance round-bar weight distributing hitch) Reese round-bar weight distributing hitch (the only two styles of weight distribution bars shown in the adjustment instructions for the Dual Cam show either the newer high-performance bars (trunion or round-bar style) or the older trunion style weight distribution bars both of which have a "rectangular" profile where the weight distribution bar saddle mounts).

Reese Dual Cam Installation Instructions

Reese Dual Cam Parts Identification

If you check the part identified as #7, this is the critical component regarding adaptability to the weight distribution bar. The U-bolt wraps around the outside of the bar, and the screw identified as #1 fits into a tapped hole in the stock Reese weight distribution bars.

I have used my Dual Cam system with the trunion-style bars offered by Draw-Tite, and have talked with others who have utilized the system with other "trunion-style" weight distribution bars, but haven't run across anyone who has adapted the system to a "round-bar" system with limited or no rectangular profile where the adjustment chains are located.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 07:03 AM   #3
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardenrj
As Kevin mentioned, if you have the round bars all the way, then it can't be converted.
If your bars taper off into flat ends, then it is possible. Andy at InlandRV in Corona has the information on where to get the saddles.

However, before attempting to do so, you might want to clean and carefully inspect the hitch head receptacles and the hitch side bar ends for wear and/ or scoring. A common problem with eaz-lift type wd hitches is scoring and/ or ovaling of the receptacle holes due to lack of lubrication, and due to dirt accumulating on the curved bar end. Sometimes this can lead to uneven bar tension between the two sides. ( As it is on my old hitch)
So, before investing in updating an eaz lift to dual cams, make sure it's in perfect working order, or you'll waste your money.