Old 06-08-2006, 11:10 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Sacramento , California
Dual Cam install question

I'm getting ready to install my new Dual Cam HP hitch and was looking at the instructions. It's says for tubular frame (what we have) just drill the holes in the frame and screw in the bolts with the flange and torque them! No nut on the other side or bolt all the way through?

Am I missing something? Do they self tap and that holds good enough? I just glanced over the instructions. Do you need to tap the hole for them to screw into?

Mike

Old 06-09-2006, 06:03 AM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
They are thinking you will use self-tapping lag bolts, such as the ones I used when I installed my stabilizers. Personally, if you can get to the back side of the bolts, I would suggest grade 8 bolts, nuts, and lockwashers. If not, the lag bolts, and lockwashers will have to do. Stainless steel lag bolts are available, so you won't have to worry about them rotting off.

Old 06-09-2006, 07:22 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The Reese Dual Cam HP that I bought, had self tapping bolts. You need a punch to start the drill location because the bit will fly all over the frame without a punch. From there, after the hole is drilled to spec, I applied some silicone caulk to the threads, head and brackets to seal any water out as I torqued the bolts down.

So far, the brackets have stayed attached and I've been happy with the dual cam, particularly since going to 600# bars with our Safari. Remember, you need some flex of the bars for the dual cam to work properly.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 07:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Those bolts do not really have much force on them other the self centering forces generated and they are in shear on the bolts. Big self tappers would be good enough. I would drill thru only one side of the tubular frame. That frame is marginal strength as it is, no need to futher weaken it by drilling more holes.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:00 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Sacramento , California
Thanks for the information. I went with the 600 pound bars as recomended by InlandRV Andy. His experience and research makes sense to me. Especially since my 1000 pound bars had popped rivets on the inside of my 87 Soverign. I don't want to beat my new beauty to death with over hitching.

Mike