Old 12-11-2007, 08:31 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Drop Receiver, Yes or No?

I do not have a dedicated tow vehicle for towing my 26' Argosy. Rather I have several trucks to choose from at any given time. When I bought my trailer it came with a rigid/straight w/d hitch. The ball mount head is welded to the bar that slides into the receiver. I generally select a tow vehicle with a receiver height that is close to my coupler height and so far have been able to get everything more or less visually level (I know, I know) and the Argosy has towed wonderfully. I have never towed it very far or very fast and will make a better effort to have a more proper set up if I do.

I have run into the occasion when the only tow vehicles available sit higher than the coupler by a couple of inches. My coupler, when trailer is not loaded, sits at a little over 19 inches. Full size 1500 Dodge Ram 4WDís have a receiver height around 21 inches - 3/4 tons a little higher still. When I have towed with these trucks I cannot get the trailer level. It is high at the front. It still tows ok but I am aware of the problems associated with towing like this. I have also read several threads on the proper set up (including the whys and hows) of a wd hitch, trailer and truck attitude, brake and sway control etc. These threads are particularly fun to read as they are more heated and edgy than the ones concerning what material to use to recover the gaucho.

I am thinking about getting a 2 inch drop receiver, but would like to get some opinions about using one. I think the drop receiver also adds 4 to 6 inches in length. Does or has anyone else lowered their wd ball mount by using a drop receiver? Howíd it do? Would I be giving up any towing capacity (does a drop receiver lower the weight capacity of the frame mounted hitch receiver?) Is this a safe way to lower the height of the ball?

Iíll hang up now and listen to your response. Thanks, Roger

Old 12-11-2007, 08:43 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi rb'

i don't know what a 'drop receiver' is...

the receiver is the thing welded or bolted to the tv frame that provides the 2 inch hole, right?

the 'stinger or hitch bar or ball mount goes in that hole...

stingers with a variety of drops/rise are available and rated just like straight ones...

ther are also adjustable height models and that might be the best choice for someone towing with several vehicles...

i really like the aluminum ones, they are amazingly light and strong, but cost more.

here are 3 pages of options, reese also has an adjustable steel version.

pick a stinger, any stinger....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:57 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

I call it a drop receiver. Sorry if it has another name. I've tried to post a picture.
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2007, 09:00 PM   #4
_

. , .
ah........

it really IS a drop receiver (adapter thingie)!

that's why pix are so helpful...

what's the rating for that one? can it be used with w/d gear?

i've seen these for adding bike racks and still having a receiver opening,

but they aren't usually rated for serious towing or w/d systems

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:18 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

The catalog reads, "Inserts into 2" receiver hitch to lower or raise the connection height for tow bars or ball mounts. Class IV, 10,000 lbs. rated." The drop portion is 6.25" in length.

This is not the same as the ones used for bike racks as it does not add an extra receiver opening. The bar is solid.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:33 PM   #6
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Drop hitch recivers

2Air;

You probably know already that those drop hitch recivers are sold by Blue Ox. The Blue Ox web site says that they are rated for Class IV, 10,000 lbs.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
It looks like it would work for me. I see no downsides structually. It might rattle a little due to fit but should be no problem. I would think it would give the same bending moment and loading to the truck hitch as if the head were directly inserted into the receiver. I had an adjustable head on my twin cam but I had to buy one of those $95 L drop hitch bars to match my much higher new truck. If all you want is 2 inches your drop hitch adapter would be cheaper.