Old 07-24-2010, 07:03 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
Forgot to ask... the pin hole to center of ball hole on current shank is 15.5 inches. Some drop shanks I've seen are 10-14 inches long in that same measurement. Will I lose turning ability or risk bumper crushing with a shorter shank length like these?

Tim

tvanwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #16
_

. , .
keep look'n

is the one you've included rated for W/D?

looks 2 me, mehbe knot.

here's another example that IS rated properly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	anotheroption.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	299.0 KB
ID:	107389

yes shorter=less clearance 4 turns.

but shorter also = less influence from tongue mass on drive axle (yaw)

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:49 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
a 2 INCH difference front/2/back may be golden...

but it is significantly UNLEVEL and will result in UNeven loading of the tires and brakes...

and the axles which may have already settled significantly in 20 years.

looking at the profile of a 34 a 2 inch variance is obvious and too much.
A 34' A/S has a 31' body, and three axles on 30" centers. with 60" from the front to back axle (5 feet) the axles cover 1/6th of the length of the body of the trailer. Therefore, the maximum 2" difference across the entire body represents a 1/3" difference from the front to back axle (or 1/6" difference between adjacent axles). Remember, a 2" variance means the nose is up 1" and the tail is down 1" from level.

With 7000 lbs dry weight, minus 800 lbs tongue weight, 6200/6=1033 lbs per wheel. With this low loading, a 1/6" difference between the axles is a non-issue, given the axles will take half the difference. A back of envelope calculation shows the rearmost axle would be taking about 2.6% higher load than the front - less than the difference induced by running on wet road. The difference in braking effort - less than that. In this application, uneven brake effort requires either lack of traction or a different rotation speed - certainly greater than the likely difference of a new tire next to a partially worn tire - which is the sort of height difference we're talking about. This worst case is about 12 lbs load difference from the front to back axle, and assumes very very stiff suspension.

Remember, I said "up to" - I'm guessing it'll end up with an arrangement where you have less than 1/2" difference front to back. On that length of trailer I'd be looking for less than 1" front to back. As I said in my previous post, I'd consider it "safe" to tow at 2".

This raises the question why this trailer has three axles instead of two when two would carry the weight and three axles introduce tire wear problems? Distributing shock loads across three more lightly loaded axles reduces transmission of shock energy to the very long frame by one third, allowing them to keep the frame weight down, and to use the standard shell design without heavy reinforcements, while also keeping the center of gravity low. Plus the lovely handling characteristics.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:28 PM   #18
_

. , .
lotza good math there.

now if ONLY my 34 showed that loading at the wheelz (it doesn't but it does weigh more) or tongue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post
...Distributing shock loads across three more lightly loaded axles reduces transmission of shock energy to the very long frame by one third, allowing them to keep the frame weight down, and to use the standard shell design without heavy reinforcements, while also keeping the center of gravity low. Plus the lovely handling characteristics.
i like this notion TOO, but leaving OUT 'reinforcements' has created issues...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ion-35237.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...oor-54952.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:46 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
*grins* You know what they say...

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice.

In practice, there is.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:14 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Drummond Island , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvanwave View Post
I like the reese extra drop pictuted here. Provides 5.75 inches of drop... but if I need more thene not so good. Is your recommendation to look for a 7" drop and if i need less - OK? I'm worried about some fabricated hitches not having the real rating that they advertise. Thanks for the comments.
I have a '05 F350 we tow our 31' with and use a Reese "tall" draw bar with a 6" drop. In our original 1980 Airstream manual it suggests that the ball height and hitch height should be about 1/2 inch of each other. After we replaced the axles on the trailer we measured the hitch height with the trailer leveled at 17 1/2 inches and luckily the ball is about 18 inches high with the drop hitch. I drop the trailer onto the ball until it just settles on the hitch, snap the coupler closed and then install the equalizer bars with two chain links and then fully retract the tongue jack. The truck settles and trailer is level at that setting. We have about 25K miles on the set up now with no problems.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:14 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
Thumbs up

Quote:
I like the reese extra drop pictuted here. Provides 5.75 inches of drop... but if I need more thene not so good. Is your recommendation to look for a 7" drop and if i need less - OK? I'm worried about some fabricated hitches not having the real rating that they advertise. Thanks for the comments.

Ordered this one today. Distance from top of reciever to ground 21" Drop on this hitch is 5.75. Ball platform should then be at 15.25. Add ball height of 3" I should be right at 18.25 unloaded. Depending on loaded squat on truck (about 2" ) I should be able to adjust up if needed, prob no need for lower. I will post pics and response one parts get here and I do the install. Thanks to all the rivet pros for helping me with this question.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:19 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
Quote:
Ordered this one today. Distance from top of reciever to ground 21" Drop on this hitch is 5.75. Ball platform should then be at 15.25. Add ball height of 3" I should be right at 18.25 unloaded. Depending on loaded squat on truck (about 2" ) I should be able to adjust up if needed, prob no need for lower. I will post pics and response one parts get here and I do the install. Thanks to all the rivet pros for helping me with this question.

Long drop shank came today. Is it an OK idea to use the trim strip on the side of the AS as a measuring point to determine whether ot not the trailer is level? I am OK in the front with the hitch frame but in the rear I cant get to the frame due to sealed underbelly. This could throw measurements of a bit.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:30 PM   #23
_

. , .
yes.

i typically use the MID level beltline trim

since the stream sides curve OUT to this level...

cheers
2air'

Old 08-06-2010, 08:52 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
yes.

i typically use the MID level beltline trim

since the stream sides curve OUT to this level...

cheers
2air'

Thanks again 2air--- I will use the mid level beltline trim
Old 08-06-2010, 09:00 PM   #25
_

. , .
a bubble level can also be used

but finding a reliable reference point is tricky.

so one approach is to use the beltline trim in a REALLY REALLY flat concrete location...

and once it's reasonably level MOUNT a bubble level somewhere

(like the tongue) or just inside the entry door or on the SKIN somewhere...

or ?

this will pay off later and each time you seek level for parking, towing and so on...

finding a LONG level strip of roadway is often tricky when REchecks are needed.

with older units getting the FRIDGE really level is important 4 efficient function.

so older rigs (like yours) often have...

a small square/ROUND (target shaped) BUBBLE level in the freezer for this purpose.

cheers
2air'

Old 09-06-2010, 04:48 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
Installed this shank using lowest holes. Everything now matches up!
Thanks again for everyone's help