Old 12-09-2009, 05:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2004 25' Safari
N/A , Michigan/Florida
Draw Tite WD Hitch

I just purchased a 25' Safari TT and it comes with a Draw-Tite WD hitch. For weeks I've been studying up on the Reeses and Hensleys, but did not run into the Draw-Tite.

I'll leave it as it is just to get it home until I can get a handle on whether to keep it or replace it. The TT loaded will be around 7000# and my TV's towing capacity is 9000#.

Is the Draw-Tite WD hitch in the ballpark with the Resses and Hensleys performance/safetywise?

Thank you in advance.

greatlakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Draw Tite owns Reese and the hitches are just about identical as far as engineering principles are concerned. The set up is intended to accomplish the same thing with both, transfer weight to the front TV axle. If equiped with sway control accessory cams they reduce sway through friction.

The Hensley system is a completely different engineering system.

The Hensley system carries a higher level of satisfaction mostly because 90% of the Reese/Draw Tites are set up wrong.

2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Sparks , Nevada
I also have a DrawTite. I called Reese to inquire about adding the sway/cam portions and to obtain new, (reduced load) trunion bars. They said they will fit correctly - but I still have yet to purchase either additional part. I am satisfied with the weight distribution offered by the system. My PO also gave me the set-up guide which I found to be very straight forward. The guide is available on the web also. I finally towed my rig to the CAT scales to tweek my adjustments.

Here's the instructions for adjusting the WD hitch!!!

and another presentation from the drawtite site - which may not be all that accurate/appropriate:

Oh, and there are specifics for adjusting the hitch depending on particular types of shocks, leveling systems with which your tow vehicle is equipped in the first link.

try searching Drawtite - without the hyphen and maybe you'll find some of my posts - which may, or may not, be of any benefit
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
2004 25' Safari
N/A , Michigan/Florida

Thank you both for your input. I feel better about this unknown.

Those reference sites are very helpful and I plan to run this combination until I can find fault with it, if any. My trailer loaded max wt rating is 6300# rather than 7000#, so I have even more towing capacity reserve than I thought. Just hope the hitch is up to it. If not, I'll look to upgrade.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:57 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
1986 25' Sovereign
Gainesville , Georgia
I have a Reese/Draw Tite WD and Anti Sway.

The prior owner of my AS spent at least 3 hrs and 3-4 different "sets" to get it exactly right on my TV and it pulls like a dream with NO issues.

I pull an 86 SOV (about 5500lbs) with a V8 Tahoe (6800 lbs GVWR) so I'm close to the limit. No issues, though it does SUCK GAS going uphill!!! Yikes!!

A 3/5 Ton diesel is in our future though it may be a few years!

Make sure its set up right and it shouldn't be a problem.
1986 Sovereign 25' CB - "Melody"

2001 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4x4 Crew Cab, 7.3L PSD

Air #41001
big_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I have an old Reese Straightline Dual Cam WD hitch with 550 lbs bars and I use 6 links of the chain under tension. We use the TV mentioned below. We have absolutely no Ride or sway issues. I see no reason to spend 3k $ for a different hitch. The hitch you have will do the job if setup correctly,using actual scale weights from a State Certified scale such as CAT or any feed mill or Scrapyard that buys and sells to make your adjustments.
It would be nice Frank if you would list you TV and Trailer on the bottom of your profile and then we all will know exactly what you are talking about.
Welcome to AirForums
Roger & MaryLou
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:33 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
2004 25' Safari
N/A , Michigan/Florida
Handled. Thank you.

2004 25' Safari
2010 4x4 Ford EB Expedition