Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-29-2017, 09:26 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Far off topic I know... But the disillusion of the current young generation is as much a reflection on the baby boomer generation as anything. We sit atop our wealth, half earned, but half stolen from future generations. While the new generation is getting squeezed from all sides from college loans, job market, housing, economy, benefits, healthcare. Yet we wonder why...

BTW, I'm not a boomer. It's eye opening being in a generation between the boomers and millennials. Yet I still consider myself fortunate, and feel for that generation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
The can do attitude has morphed into find any excuse not to do anything. It’s sad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Problem solving has become a lost skillset in America. Maybe they are putting something in the water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mer Paddler View Post
I’m pretty sure its the flu shot
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
As my wife puts it, “Lack of home education...”. It’s parents not doing their job properly.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:33 AM   #42

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We been towing our Airstream with a Hensley for twelve years. As far as I am concerned, a dealer that cannot handle with my Hensley is not competent enough to touch my Airstream.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:36 AM   #43
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I agree, but they are not as common as some say. State of thr art, dealers need to get onthe ball.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:50 AM   #44
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
I agree, but they are not as common as some say. State of thr art, dealers need to get onthe ball.
Hi

I think the real point here is that not all dealers are created equal back in the service department. That observation can extend to a *much* wider range of things than just having a hitch adapter available.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:53 AM   #45
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
-- snip -- We sit atop our wealth, half earned, but half stolen from future generations. While the new generation is getting squeezed from all sides from college loans, job market, housing, economy, benefits, healthcare. -- snip --.
College loans? Go to a junior college and work while you go to a state university. No loans required.

Housing? It is not necessary to live in a new or large house. An old house can be turned into a nice home with sweat equity. The current interest rate is a gift (remember 6-20% and variable rates). Yes, sometimes you have to commute - car pool.

Job Market? Move/commute to where the jobs are? Get an education that is marketable? Work a taxi job while you search for a better job. Do not be a victim.

Economy? More of a problem if you are consumption oriented than education, work and savings oriented. Pay cash.

Benefits, I agree. See next.

Healthcare, is a concern for all. Vote!

Half earned, Half stolen? No, all earned! Speak for yourself! Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:03 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
College loans? Go to a junior college and work while you go to a state university. No loans required.

Housing? It is not necessary to live in a new or large house. An old house can be turned into a nice home with sweat equity. The current interest rate is a gift (remember 6-20% and variable rates). Yes, sometimes you have to commute - car pool.

Job Market? Move/commute to where the jobs are? Get an education that is marketable? Work a taxi job while you search for a better job. Do not be a victim.

Economy? More of a problem if you are consumption oriented than education, work and savings oriented. Pay cash.

Benefits, I agree. See next.

Healthcare, is a concern for all. Vote!

Half earned, Half stolen? No, all earned! Speak for yourself! Pat

Applause.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:14 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Of course you guys see it this way. That's why there is a generational gap. The truth is certainly somewhere between.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:26 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
Of course you guys see it this way. That's why there is a generational gap. The truth is certainly somewhere between.

The truth is between. We have failed to deliver the Right America to the younger generation, and the younger generation wants too much handed to them. Its unfortunate.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:29 AM   #49
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Gee, yet another off topic wander in a thread. How unusual on any forum

Kids just aren't what they should be? I think you can trace that opinion back at least to ancient Greece. I doubt it started that recently

Back off and look at the recent US generation over generation economic statistics. They are not pretty going back into the 1960's. They get really grim starting in the 80's. Yes indeed, I dodged that bullet and so did my "next generation". There's a *lot* of folks that caught the bullet right in the forehead. Prior to the 60's there were ups and downs. Generation to generation, after the bumps finished (including the 1930's) things worked out pretty well.

If "kids" get to decide how they are raised, is that the kids fault? Do they get to pick what they study? I don't seem to remember having a lot of choices at age 10 ... I don't seem to remember giving out a lot of choices to kids at that age as a parent (or at age 16 or ...). Doubly so if it's Dad's money being spent. Net result -- *yes* we are responsible for the next generation. Kid picked poorly at age 18 and it's just the kid's fault - nonsense.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:39 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
No pun intended!
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:39 AM   #51
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Leave the stinger in. Problem solved.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:53 AM   #52
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
As to the off topic sideline...I once had a very heated debate with my mom once and at some point I said something to the effect of “ I am a direct result of YOUR parenting skills so if you don’t like the choices I am making you may need to look in the mirror “ ....there was a pause in the argument and she realized she raised one very smart, independent, hard working, and usually right young woman.
This latest generation has had their mommy and daddy make every decision for them, dodge ball can not be played anymore because someone might get their little feelings hurt, everyone who participates in a game gets a trophy just for showing up, Parents are actually calling their kids boss complaining that the boss hurt their kids feelings. Seriously, I would have died if my parents ever had any conversation with my employer. If the next gen turns out crappy it will be a direct result of the parenting they had.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:52 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Just yesterday we met a couple who purchased a new 30FC. They first talked to the Denver dealership, and also mentioned they planned to install a ProPride on the trailer. The dealer told them they'd have to remove the ProPride before that dealer would serviced the trailer.

They bought their new trailer Far Away from Denver.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:33 AM   #54
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
Just yesterday we met a couple who purchased a new 30FC. They first talked to the Denver dealership, and also mentioned they planned to install a ProPride on the trailer. The dealer told them they'd have to remove the ProPride before that dealer would service the trailer.

They bought their new trailer Far Away from Denver.

This happens every single week, sometimes multiple times, to dealers of every travel trailer brand. I talk to a lot of people doing their research. I've been doing it for over 20 years and it's not really hard to direct a customer to a dealer who is customer facing and focused on getting the job done no matter what the topic.

-
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:42 AM   #55
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
We been towing our Airstream with a Hensley for twelve years. As far as I am concerned, a dealer that cannot handle with my Hensley is not competent enough to touch my Airstream.

Brian
It's a red flag alright.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:58 PM   #56
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
At SLC Airstream, Left my stinger installed with the jacks run up a bit so there was a good down angle on the receiver square bar. Showed them how a short yellow strap on the fork truck tine and under the square bar would work just fine.