Old 11-18-2009, 11:12 AM   #29
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4WEDI View Post
You should calm down man...... this kind of posting attitude runs good people off and I'd rather not see anymore good knowledgable people gone. Personally, I do hear your tone as disrespect.

No disrespect intended.

I was simply giving you an easy way to create a sway, and that's why I suggested a low speed.

Quick manuvers, are the usual cause of loss of control, that unfortunately can happen to all of us, when we least expect it.

Far better that you can experience a sway under controlled conditions, than uncontrolled.

When doing the test, keep your hand on the brake controller, so that you can quickly apply the trailer brakes.

Having even a one time experience with even a small sway, will prepare you for the big one, that hopefully never happens, but if it does, you would be prepared to handle it.

Again, only trying to help you, the easy way.

Andy

Old 11-18-2009, 01:26 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
Sorry Andy... This comment was not directed to you from me.
Sorry 2air... I guess I too am human and jumped the gun.

If nothing else, I should know better than to get involved in these types of threads...

Have fun guys !

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:04 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
Shoreacres , Texas
Looks like I fly against the prevailing wisdom of the group! I am pulling a 2008 27FB Intnl CCD with a 2004 GMC Sierra Denali that has the 6 liter engine, 4 wheel steering, ,all wheel drive and a class III weight Distrib. hitch. My dealer said that I should try it first without sway control because I most likely would not feel a need for it. I have since pulled it on a 6,000 mile round trip from Texas to Washington state and back, and never once wished that I had sway control. The trip included everything from 35-45 mph crosswinds in Az and Nv to 7% up and down grades in Cali and Oregon with slushy, snowy roads. In what I considered to be some of the worst conditions you may ever encounter, the AS stayed steady as a rock and felt like it was on rails following behind. HOWEVER, I am not advocating that you don't use sway control since additional precautions cannot hurt anything. I think it also depends on each individual rig and it's setup as well.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:10 PM   #32
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh350 View Post
...a class III weight Distrib. hitch...
i hope THIS PART is a tie-poh!

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	valley_receiver_chart.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	91258  

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:16 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

Shoreacres , Texas
2 air, yes it's a typo, I don't remember the brand, but it is the WD hitch that the dealer set me up with.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:24 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

Shoreacres , Texas
I do have another question concerning the WD bars. The dealer set it up with 1000 lb. bars. I bought a hydraulic scale to measure tongue weight, and I am at 900 lbs with my usual travelling load. Are 1000 lb bars the right ones to use or should I look for 900 lb bars? Most of the time it pulls smooth, but on some road surfaces, I have noticed that the front of the trailer can get bounced pretty good, so I was wondering if those bars are too stiff?
Old 11-18-2009, 03:30 PM   #35
_

. , .
Quote:
I do have another question concerning the WD bars...
the answer REALLY depends on the brand of hitch and TYPE of w/d bar.

so post a PIC or the brand/model info for the hitch gizmo.

it's a good idea to go SLOWER on bumpy roads, but u know that already.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:40 PM   #36
_

. , .
back 2 green' and the original question...

here are 3 threads without hype or anger that may help u understand the options....

NONE of them relate specifically to airbag hitches but do address the issue of wiggles...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...tion-5166.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...trol-3920.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...rol-19849.html

cheers
2air'

Old 11-18-2009, 04:49 PM   #37

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
I do have another question concerning the WD bars. The dealer set it up with 1000 lb. bars. I bought a hydraulic scale to measure tongue weight, and I am at 900 lbs with my usual travelling load. Are 1000 lb bars the right ones to use or should I look for 900 lb bars? Most of the time it pulls smooth, but on some road surfaces, I have noticed that the front of the trailer can get bounced pretty good, so I was wondering if those bars are too stiff?
I know I addressed that question once to the tech support guys from Reese. I do remember that the rear of my half ton van could be driven down pretty heavily by the hitch weight of my Safari when I would travel on the Interstates where the roads had a series of dips. There were a couple on I-55 just north of STL and at the Lake Springfield bridge near Springfield Illinois that were pretty severe. The folks at Reese said that in these conditions, the bars are bending at some pretty extreme angles and that under sizing the bar could lead you to a condition where the bars could technically snap. In their opinion they advised me to upgrade to a heavier bar since my tow vehicle was being influenced greatly by those roads with dips.

My 3/4 van is completely different from a suspension basis and really doesn't deflect downwards as much as the half ton did. Obviously in my case the bar would not be subjected to the same stress or load factors since the suspension is not subject to as much downward deflection. Lighter bars could handle the load.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:13 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Do the Sway Test at 40 mph

I think Andy has a good point especially for the Newbies out there. Do the lane change test under a controlled condition so it is locked in your forehead. Do it more than once. Because some day it won't be a test. It could happen when you're tired after a long day and your reflexes aren't too smooth, or at night on a dark road in the rain or when you're going 75 mph downhill. At that time I want to have the best equipment possible and be on my toes.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:15 AM   #39
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Last year I was moving my trailer only 3-4 miles, so I didn't bother putting the Reese dual WD/sways on, just droped on the ball.

I jumped on I 75 ........wow that was scary at 60mph the semi's were throwing me off, big mistake not hooking up right.

I normally drive with a very light hand on the wheel when set up right so yes WD/sways are needed.

But setup incorrectly and they don't do much take the time to do them right.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote