Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #341
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
To drive a common carrier you need a special license, but to drive a MH, essentially a bus, you don't. The rationale is that common carriers carry people who expect good driving, but the vehicle is the same. Commercial truck drivers need a special license too, but we don't. We are both towing, but ours are a lot smaller. These are not exact comparisons, but just information.

I'm not sure how you would set up and pay for special RV licenses.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #342
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I am not in favor of special licenses for motorcycles or anything else. These special licenses cost money. Most states that require motorcycle courses don’t pay for them. I do think it would be a good idea if folks over 65 have to have a real driving test to make sure they still have the faculties to drive. We hear at least once or twice a year an old person ran through a crowded bus stop and killed 12 people because they got confused and hit the gas instead of the brake. These folks don't need to be on the road and definitely not pulling an RV. I am not saying that old people are bad drivers but some have age related problems.

My main problem with tests is they take time and I don't have time to deal with it.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #343
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Oh boy, now us over 65 are basically unsafe drivers due to age.

I'm going down the three lane interstate, the soccer mom in front is fighting with the kids, the teeny on the left is driving with her knees while texting her girl friends, the guy on the right is eating hamburger/fries, and the businessman behind just finished a three-martini lunch. Then some hot shot is cutting in between us all trying to get to the next exit first.

Give me a break.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #344
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Sean, your Propride hitch is an extraordinary product for towing and I will be getting one soon. I want every measure for safety.

But I don't plan on driving faster under adverse conditions because of it. Why? Because sway is only one of the things that can put you upside down in the ditch. Proof? Look how many are upside down in the ditch without trailers.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:28 PM   #345
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
This aint true! I drive 63 (sweet spot on torque curve) and NEVER have had anyone try and run over me. Not even on I75! Just stay in the right lane (maybe second from right in urban areas).

This "gotta drive fast to be safe" is BUNK!
Couldn't agree more. To tow at 60-65mph is more comfortable, safe (or safer, relatively speaking) and saves gas. If other road users don't like it then they simply have to pass me (on the left, please, I'm normally in the right hand lane).

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #346
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Most of the interstate freeways have different speed limits for trucks. There IS a reason for that.
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:32 PM   #347
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Some states have aggressive programs to de-license older drivers if a doctor thinks they are too old to drive or if they have an accident. You don't need a doctor's recommendation to get a license and they don't use doctors to take you on a test drive for a license. How is a doctor to know whether people can drive in many cases. In Cal. some lawyers have made a career of getting older people's licenses back, but not everyone can afford that.

When someone loses their license, they become isolated if they have no family nearby. It is hard to function in our society without a car. I too have seen drivers of all ages driving like idiots. Older drivers have experience and that should count for something. Many cops never bother with bad drivers; instead they do the easy thing—give speeding tickets.

In Colorado I can't more than a 5 year license though younger people can get a 10 year license. Yet all they test me for is eyesight and I don't even need glasses to drive.

Maybe the test for older drivers is whether they can lift up the hitch head. That thing must weigh at least 50 lbs.

Gene
Old 10-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #348
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Dang, in Illinois everybody gets a 4 year license and at 85 (I think that's when my dad had to) we test every year.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:08 PM   #349
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Well old does not mean bad. If you are senile, half blind, deaf, and have the reaction time of a slug then you are unsafe at any speed. A guy at work was joking with me several years ago when we were both a lot younger and he said if you are too old to screw you are too old to drive. I am not sure if the same skill set is necessary to drive. There maybe some truth to that statement however distasteful it appears. There are lots of folks in their 90's that are sharp as a tack. Then there are some at 60 that get lost in their back yard.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #350
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
A guy at work was joking with me several years ago when we were both a lot younger and he said if you are too old to screw you are too old to drive.

Perry
How are they going to test for that?

Gene
Old 10-27-2011, 08:29 PM   #351
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Interview with your spouse?
Old 10-27-2011, 08:32 PM   #352
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Bad comparison. They have magic pills for that but not for driving.
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:42 PM   #353
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
How are they going to test for that?

Gene
Hmmmmm, webcam maybe? You first!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:41 AM   #354
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Sean, your Propride hitch is an extraordinary product for towing and I will be getting one soon. I want every measure for safety.

But I don't plan on driving faster under adverse conditions because of it. Why? Because sway is only one of the things that can put you upside down in the ditch. Proof? Look how many are upside down in the ditch without trailers.

doug k

I can't argue with any of this logic -
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:36 AM   #355
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I have to agree with DOUG . PICK ON the OLD PEOPLE. Just cause Im 73 dont mean Im a bad driver. I still have the skills I developed with the 45 yrs of drivin a big truck. I can drive 75 towing but I won't. Speed Limit is fine THANK YOU. I'm wondering WHERE THE HELL IS THE FIRE????? Seems Everyone thinks the RED WHITE AND BLUE sign along Interstate 75 is the speed limit. I am not understand the mentality of "I cant stay behind this guy,I need to be in front to make my next right or left." So they speed past (when Im already 5 over the speed limit) then pass me and jam on the brakes to make the next right. AMAZING ! I dont get upset anymore I just adjust my following distance,OH by the way?? What ever happen to the 3 second rule for following. SEEMS everyone wants to be rite on my tailgate.
O WELL MAYBE IM GETTING OLD.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #356
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Just cause Im 73 dont mean Im a bad driver. I still have the skills I developed with the 45 yrs of drivin a big truck.

But most never develop any skills worthy of note. Following the front wheels around isn't a skill. And, once old, these old bad habits come to bite them (and the rest of us) as there was never a principle involved in how to make driving decisions.

If I called MiketheFixit a steerin' wheel holder I can guarantee you it would be from well beyond the reach of arm or leg: that's truck driver shorthand for a clueless, skill-less driver.

Yet it may be a majority of drivers on the road.

Then we add to that the problem of age: medications, failing eyesight and hearing, lack of energy and a sad situation thus emerges.

This is not unrelated to the desirability for WDH: these arguments become silly when the claim is made by some that "they" never have a problem without it. One could bet that SAE and the OEM's would never bother in requiring it under some circumstances, well laid out, were the above statistically valid. It isn't.

The relation between old & bad is the further assumption that all roads are smoothly new, beautifully-lit, with mile long sight lines. All roads are limited access. All other drivers are young, highly-trained and their vehicles in perfect mechanical shape. All RV drivers are never tired, ill, injured or distracted. Their vehicles also never suffer malfunctions, as well as being designed from the ground up as TV's.

Etc.

Skill is great. And yet it's never quite enough.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #357
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sunset Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
I can't argue with any of this logic -
Sean,

I'm still planning to get the Pro Pride hitch. It is simply not going to be connecting an Airstream and Touareg. Thank you for all of your help with the Touareg, it was greatly appreciated, but I think I'm going to go Sierra 2500HD or F250.

Cheers,
Rion
GinMame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:56 PM   #358
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Now that we codgers are talking about someone trying to pry our cold dead hands off the steering wheel, I guess we are done with sway control.

The conclusion of the sway control debate seems to be we each have the best system there is, Airstreams tow well, and we should drive carefully. I recommend everyone buy what I did even though the dealer choose it and he was an idiot and I knew nothing at the time (and maybe not much more now). But the exception is that since Sean makes his own, he should keep his. I won't make my own because I don't know how to work metal and I don't think a wood one would work very well.

Glad that's settled until we discuss the WBCCI opinion on sway and old people driving.

Gene
Old 10-28-2011, 03:47 PM   #359
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Gene,

Didn't we both have a codger b-day recintly??

Bob
Old 10-28-2011, 07:42 PM   #360
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Gene,

Didn't we both have a codger b-day recintly??

Bob
I can't remember. Let me ask my nurse. I'll text her while I drive through this cloverleaf and get the damn cap off my beer.

Gene