Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2011, 07:19 AM   #261
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
How does that system transfer weight to the front wheels of your truck?

Andy
Um, he doesn't. He is masking physics with aesthetics.
Although, just lifting the back of the truck does change the CG a little forward....but VERY LITTLE. Maybe 40 to 50lbs, at the very most! Not even worth bringing into the discussion.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:23 AM   #262
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
If one wears a seat belt in their vehicle, why would they tow without a weight stabilizing / anti-sway system?

Sorry, it doesn't make any "safety" sense.

Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:30 AM   #263
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigidachs View Post
If one wears a seat belt in their vehicle, why would they tow without a weight stabilizing / anti-sway system?

Sorry, it doesn't make any "safety" sense.

I agree.

Raising the back end of a truck, with whatever system, other than torsion bars, does "nothing" more that exactly that. It cannot transfer any weight to the steering axle.

But what it does do, is raise the back end of the truck so that it doesn't bottom out, and stops the headlights from shining sky high.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #264
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Obviously, it would be a good idea to weigh that TV before and after to check axle loads. SAE thought it a good idea to use rear axle air shocks in testing TT/TV handling on a mid-70's Monte Carlo (truly, a representative TV).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:32 PM   #265
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Obviously, it would be a good idea to weigh that TV before and after to check axle loads. SAE thought it a good idea to use rear axle air shocks in testing TT/TV handling on a mid-70's Monte Carlo (truly, a representative TV).
I wonder if they know that to use air shocks (inflated), air bags(inflated), overload springs, Monroe "Load levelers", or anything of the like, basically levels the tow vehicle, but transfers little to no weight to the steering axle, AND defeats the purpose of a load equalizing hitch!

Someday, just maybe, all of this will come to a head, for the benefit of all.

Andy
Old 10-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #266
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
I wonder if they know that to use air shocks (inflated), air bags(inflated), overload springs, Monroe "Load levelers", or anything of the like, basically levels the tow vehicle, but transfers little to no weight to the steering axle, AND defeats the purpose of a load equalizing hitch!

Someday, just maybe, all of this will come to a head, for the benefit of all.

Andy
I should have clarified that this was without a WDH. As to coming to a head, the "rules" appear to be about the minimum found necessary for a non-representative trailer (construction, loaded with concrete blocks about 3' high) behind a poor choice of TV, in general. The new J2807 is about consistency, but it still isn't about what may be best as the questions used to determine an answer are deliberate in exclusion.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:42 PM   #267
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Rivet Do I Need Sway Control??

Absolutely!!

Don't leave your yard on a trip, without it!

Trailer Sway Control by Hensley
TRfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:49 AM   #268
1 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
West Salem , Wisconsin
What would you recommend for a 2012 20' flying cloud (single axel) pulled by a f150?
Mr. O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:02 AM   #269
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. O View Post
What would you recommend for a 2012 20' flying cloud (single axel) pulled by a f150?
The ProPride with the lightest bars they sell. The single axle trailers tend to sway more easily than the larger tandem axle trailers. The round bars of the ProPride hitch will insure a soft ride for your trailer, contrary to the square bars of the Reese type hitch.

Almost forgot....welcome to the forum.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:19 AM   #270
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
The ProPride with the lightest bars they sell. The single axle trailers tend to sway more easily than the larger tandem axle trailers. The round bars of the ProPride hitch will insure a soft ride for your trailer, contrary to the square bars of the Reese type hitch.

The cross-section shape of the bar will have the same impact on the ride as the color of the bar; e.g. none. What matters is the spring rate.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:49 AM   #271
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post

My Reese dual cam has tapered square bars and it works just fine for me.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:03 AM   #272
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
I have "experience" as some would say, actually using square bar hitches, and round bar hitches, of the same weight range, on the same trailer, with the same tow vehicle, and from that experience I can tell you the round bar hitches ride smoother.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:48 AM   #273
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Hey Steve, I already embarassed myself on this subject and had to go back to school. A round bar and a square bar with the same cross sectional area and made of the same material will have the same "stiffness". That being said, your particular round bar may be "softer than your last square bar, but that is due to:
1) Material (alloy)
or
2)effective length
or
3) Taper differences
or
4)cross sectional differences

Anyway, just round vs square isn't a valid argument from a stiffness standpoint.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:01 AM   #274
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Anyway, just round vs square isn't a valid argument from a stiffness standpoint.
I'm not an engineer, and have not done any scientific tests, but if I did, I would have the data to back it up.

But having said that, I can tell you without any hesitation, that while towing a '01 25' Airstream, with a '07 GMC 1/2 ton pickup, using both a Reese Dual Cam hitch with 800 pound square bars, and a ProPride hitch using their 1000 pound bars, the 1000 pound ProPride round bars rode significantly smoother.

I did not measure the sectional density of either bar, did not compare the lengths, did not determine what materials were used in the bars. I just know the round bars sold by ProPride rode smoother.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:06 AM   #275
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Two dif hitches negates the accuracy . jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:14 AM   #276
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Also, there is no standard by which a mfr rates the bars. In other words two 1000 pound bars from different mfrs are just that....a label and some set of numbers which their engineers say the product will perform to and their risk management folks can live with.

Otherwise, we'd have so little to argue about on this subject. Where's the fun in that?
Old 10-21-2011, 02:36 PM   #277
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBigDogs
We have a 2011 Airstream 25FB tow with 2011 F-150 Platinum 4X4 EcoBoost, now over 4000 miles of towing, The mid size Airstream follows behind without a problem, high cross winds, no sway and no problem, - passing large 18 wheelers, no sway and no problem. I do believe in buying the best, and that is why I purchased an Airstream. The very low center of gravity and aerodynamics makes this very easy to tow. The GVW of my airstream is 7400# and I am more of a minimalists, so it is way under 7000#'s most of the time. The only addition to my F-150 is RoadMaster Active Suspension.
Roadmaster Active Suspension, rear leaf spring suspension, simple installation, improve road handling, reduce sway, reduce dangerous body roll on cornering, eliminate bottoming out, eliminate wheel hop, eliminate axle wrap, strengthen the rear leaf s
This combined with Fords sway system keeps me very safe. I just hitch up and go, I like to keep it simple and I truly believe for me, I do not need anything, but to hitch up and go...... This works for me, is the key here..... I would not tow anything heaver without sway bars/control, The F-150 is a good match for my Airstream and the F-250 is an overkill and pulls it well, because I towed my new Airstream off the lot with a 2011 F-250 I had and it was like running solo, I opted to trade to the F-150 for ride improvement.
I tow a 2011 27FB, which has less tongue weight than the 25FB, with an F150 Platinum 4x4. Mine is the 4 door version - Ford calls this something but I don't remember what.
Strike 1: the sticker on my door indicate maximum weight of cargo and passengers is not to exceed 878 pounds.
Strike 2: no matter how I adjust the WD hitch I cant distribute enough of the the 700 pound tongue weight of the 27FB to get the rear axel load under the rear GAWR as stated on the door.
Strike 3: the Pirelli Scorpion tires are "P" rated passenger car tires and are unsuitable from a load capacity and tread wear point of view.

If you have an interest, and from the fact that you posted and modified your suspension I take it that you do, take a run through the scales. I'm betting you will be unpleasantly shocked, as the mod to your suspension may be giving a smoother ride but it will not make the truck capable of handling more payload.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:10 PM   #278
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sunset Beach , California
You you need sway control???

Not if you want to end up like this guy and park your Airstream in the center median.

An RV crash to remember - YouTube

Seriously though, you do need it. You don't want to end up like this poor Airstream owner.

RV Camper Crash on I-40 turned over on it's side - Wreck Poor Guy! - YouTube

Spent some quality time unexpectedly with Andy in his office at Inland RV Center yesterday afternoon. Great lesson on the need for sway control. Thanks Andy!

GinMame
GinMame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:18 PM   #279
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
That first video actually looked more like a simple blow over from high winds. Did not see any oscillation.

Would have been interesting to see what hitch was used in each case.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:32 PM   #280
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinMame View Post
You you need sway control???

Not if you want to end up like this guy and park your Airstream in the center median.

An RV crash to remember - YouTube

Seriously though, you do need it. You don't want to end up like this poor Airstream owner.

RV Camper Crash on I-40 turned over on it's side - Wreck Poor Guy! - YouTube

Spent some quality time unexpectedly with Andy in his office at Inland RV Center yesterday afternoon. Great lesson on the need for sway control. Thanks Andy!

GinMame
Thank you for visiting with us.

Glad to try and help, anyone, anytime.

Andy