Old 02-21-2010, 12:08 PM   #113
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Andy you just don't understand.....we are working towards the absurd here.
Agreed!!!!

Andy

Old 02-21-2010, 12:09 PM   #114
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
This be a classic example of the blind trying to lead the blind!
How did you know that I wear glasses too?

Ken

Old 02-21-2010, 12:13 PM   #115
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
People only see what they are prepared to see. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

-
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:26 PM   #116
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
People only see what they are prepared to see. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
-
And sometimes, even glasses don't help.

Ask me how I know.

Andy
Old 02-21-2010, 12:31 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
Lets go back to that argument that we are more dangerous with a sway control device because it leads to complacency.
That was a good one!
I used to feel the same way about brakes.

Rich the Viking
Old 02-21-2010, 12:36 PM   #118
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
I will admit I've never had the joy of playing with a table top model hitch. And I will admit that what I say is based on my exxperiance in life and my job experiance for a auto manufacterer.But it seems that the rebuttal opinions always overlook the fact that the company I work for does not use or advocate sway control. The rebutal arguements point out that if you advocate swaycontrol as unprovable then you must be an ignorant, unsafe, nearsighted person with total disregard for others safety. If you are going to malign my opinion why not back up your opinion with some data? Adios, John
Old 02-21-2010, 12:44 PM   #119
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel1 View Post
I will admit I've never had the joy of playing with a table top model hitch. And I will admit that what I say is based on my exxperiance in life and my job experiance for a auto manufacterer.But it seems that the rebuttal opinions always overlook the fact that the company I work for does not use or advocate sway control. The rebutal arguements point out that if you advocate swaycontrol as unprovable then you must be an ignorant, unsafe, nearsighted person with total disregard for others safety. If you are going to malign my opinion why not back up your opinion with some data? Adios, John

I don't know what manufacturer you work. I'm sure I'll get accused of fear mongering but I'd like to ask if you know how many sway related accident suits your company has settled out of court?

Also, consider that the rebuttal opinions may have a perspective based on much more experience through many more experiences. Back to a seeing thing. If you have only traveled so far down the road, you never know what you might see later in your travels.
Tu ne cede malis
Old 02-21-2010, 01:15 PM   #120
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
I don't know what manufacturer you work. I'm sure I'll get accused of fear mongering but I'd like to ask if you know how many sway related accident suits your company has settled out of court?

Also, consider that the rebuttal opinions may have a perspective based on much more experience through many more experiences. Back to a seeing thing. If you have only traveled so far down the road, you never know what you might see later in your travels.
I will gladly listen to your many experiances, but I to have many experiances that a lot of posters here are ready to religate to the trash heap. Untill you know my experiances I am unsure how you can conlude that yours are better.The company I work for, I have no dought has many times over the experiance and data that all the posters here combined have. As to your settling of lawsuits question, the answer is I don't know. Do you know the answer,you are in that business (hitch), that would be a right handy sales pitch.Even if you only know how many sway related lawsuits were settled out of court for one of the big three that would be a handy piece of information. My guess,and it is only a guess is not many. Like all big companys the bean counters assign risk, I'm thinking the risk must be low. As in not to many crashes caused by lack of sway control or we would be running those hitches in our towing tests. What we do is weigh,weigh,weigh. We balance the load,we secure the load,we test and check and change the brakes.In other words we follow safe towing procedures at the proving ground. Safety as you may know is a huge thing at a big company. Its the right thing to do and all. And with all the safety rules guess what .....not a sway control hitch in sight. hhmmm.
Adios, John
Old 02-21-2010, 01:35 PM   #121
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel1 View Post
I will gladly listen to your many experiances, but I to have many experiances that a lot of posters here are ready to religate to the trash heap. Untill you know my experiances I am unsure how you can conlude that yours are better.The company I work for, I have no dought has many times over the experiance and data that all the posters here combined have. As to your settling of lawsuits question, the answer is I don't know. Do you know the answer,you are in that business (hitch), that would be a right handy sales pitch.Even if you only know how many sway related lawsuits were settled out of court for one of the big three that would be a handy piece of information. My guess,and it is only a guess is not many. Like all big companys the bean counters assign risk, I'm thinking the risk must be low. As in not to many crashes caused by lack of sway control or we would be running those hitches in our towing tests. What we do is weigh,weigh,weigh. We balance the load,we secure the load,we test and check and change the brakes.In other words we follow safe towing procedures at the proving ground. Safety as you may know is a huge thing at a big company. Its the right thing to do and all. And with all the safety rules guess what .....not a sway control hitch in sight. hhmmm.
Adios, John

I only know of the cases for which I have given a deposition. I don't know the total.

I may have misunderstood. Are you saying that your company doesn't advocate sway control for its employees due to the steps taken for safety? That is a different issue than advocating sway control for the customers of your company. Projecting the decision made for employees to that of a decision made for the customers isn't the way most companies do it. If sway control for customers was not advocated I'm sure they would not be designing "trailer sway control" into their vehicles.

I am not discounting your experiences. I am trying to point out that everyone here has experiences and they all shape our perspective. If I have towed with EVERY SINGLE sway control hitch design made I have a different perspective than someone that has towed with, let's say, a Reese Dual-Cam and a sway bar. If it were me, I wouldn't state, unequivocally like many do, that one sway control is the "best" when I had not even used all of them to make a decision. That doesn't seem like good logic to me.

That said, in my opinion, the first question a hitch buyer should ask a hitch salesman is what hitches they have personally used. Otherwise, the hitch buyer is basing a decision on recommendation formed by a limited perspective.

-
Tu ne cede malis
Old 02-21-2010, 04:42 PM   #122
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I will make one statement type post on this thread, and then back out of it, because I read a lot of argueing here.

I've been towing different types of travel trailers since 1971, and fortunately, no accidents. I towed lots of them on just a ball in the beginning. Then, got my first WD hitch and it didn't even have a sway control...I believe it was an Easy Lift...big improvement. Then, I added a friction type sway control. Even bigger improvement. Later, I got one of the Reese Dual Cam hitches, the earlier model, and I thought it was fantastic. Later, another Easy Lift type, although a clone, with a friction sway control, and it worked. Then a couple of years ago, another Reese Dual Cam, the new one, and what a PITA to adjust correctly. Worked with that one for almost a year before I figured out how to get it adjusted correctly, but then it worked as good as the old model.

In all those years, with all those hitches, I was always at times, "white knuckled", because there was always a tendancy for the trailer to "wiggle" behind the tow vehicle when there was too much side wind, or due to road irregularities. Although there was never a major problem, I never felt totally "in control" of the trailer.

Then, a few months ago I bought and installed a ProPride hitch. Words cannot describe the difference totally...it's something you really need to experience. There is no more "wiggle", no more feeling of not in control, no matter the driving or road conditions. I will never go back to any of the above mentioned hitches. And, no, I do not work for ProPride.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:03 PM   #123
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I will make one statement type post on this thread, and then back out of it, because I read a lot of argueing here.

I've been towing different types of travel trailers since 1971, and fortunately, no accidents. I towed lots of them on just a ball in the beginning. Then, got my first WD hitch and it didn't even have a sway control...I believe it was an Easy Lift...big improvement. Then, I added a friction type sway control. Even bigger improvement. Later, I got one of the Reese Dual Cam hitches, the earlier model, and I thought it was fantastic. Later, another Easy Lift type, although a clone, with a friction sway control, and it worked. Then a couple of years ago, another Reese Dual Cam, the new one, and what a PITA to adjust correctly. Worked with that one for almost a year before I figured out how to get it adjusted correctly, but then it worked as good as the old model.

In all those years, with all those hitches, I was always at times, "white knuckled", because there was always a tendancy for the trailer to "wiggle" behind the tow vehicle when there was too much side wind, or due to road irregularities. Although there was never a major problem, I never felt totally "in control" of the trailer.

Then, a few months ago I bought and installed a ProPride hitch. Words cannot describe the difference totally...it's something you really need to experience. There is no more "wiggle", no more feeling of not in control, no matter the driving or road conditions. I will never go back to any of the above mentioned hitches. And, no, I do not work for ProPride.
Thank you Steve, but you must realize that your experiences, like others, with various hitch applications don't mean squat here without the stats to back them up.

The feeling in your backside don't count.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:02 AM   #124
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
re: "BUT, when another driver, or a foreign object was dropped on the road in front of you and causes you to swerve your rig, you don't have time to play games."

One of the biggest mistakes you can make when towing a trailer or heavy vehicle is a sudden maneuver. This, again, gets into a many variable problem where there is no set solution. The NV Class A/B driver license prep handbook gets into this somewhat in a number of its sections but they tend to address the motorhome situation and not the TT situation.

As for those trying to gain something out of this thread, note the use of ridicule. Think about what it means when folks devolve to ridicule as a contrast to the stated purpose of these forums, for instance. Ridicule is denying the issues raised, not extending, qualifying, or clarifying them.

re: "The feeling in your backside don't count. "
-- I think it does count. It is the feedback mechanism that nearly everyone uses to influence their driving behavior. If they haven't been brainwashed by the 'get total safety by using some gimmick' assurance, they will use their comfort or discomfort to adjust their speed, driving leeway considerations, attention, and other matters. This particular phenomena is one of the basic assumptions used in the MUTCD for establishing certain traffic safety and control devices.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:10 AM   #125
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
One of the national hamburger shops advertises "have it your way".

I guess that applies to more things than just hamburgers.

Andy
Old 02-22-2010, 10:14 AM   #126
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Will someone please think of the poor horse...
Attached Images

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote