Old 06-21-2013, 07:30 AM   #421
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Ever watch the show "Cops"?

Ever see them do a "pick" maneuver?

A "sway" condition can be mild or unrecoverable..... And it is a "pick" force.

Seems to me you would avoid that.

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #422
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
'Mover, I agree that numb steering is a bad thing. I want to feel the road through the wheel so I know what I'm driving on. Toyota steering is traditionally described as numb as Toyota likes to make soft riding vehicles. But I can feel the road through the wheel, it just takes a bit more sensitivity.

However, electric steering is coming—no road feel at all. That'll be like power steering used to be decades ago when you could steer with one finger. I will avoid buying any vehicles with that as long as I can.

Gene

Old 06-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #423
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
However, electric steering is coming—no road feel at all. That'll be like power steering used to be decades ago when you could steer with one finger. I will avoid buying any vehicles with that as long as I can.

Gene
Why would electric power steering necessarily have no feel at all? After all, arcade driving games use a torque motor to provide feedback to the "driver".

Our Prius has poor steering feedback - but that's a choice by the engineer/designer, not implicit in the technology.

- Bart
http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #424
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
2011 25' FB International
Carencro , Louisiana
Just returned from a 5000 mile trip out west. Went 4x4ing in the back country.... I love Electric Steering..it is flawless all the feel of the rocky road, and on the highway it is flawless as well. Btw towed my 2011 25fb by hitching it up, to my EcoBoost F-150. It does not sway, you cannot feel 18 wheelers pass by, drove thou dust storms, high winds and like the last 10,000 of towing it was flawless. My truck did not sputter.... In fact the Cruise control would climb 8% hills at 65 mph with no loss of speed, lots of power towing. I know a lots of you will not want to hear this but the truck did not sputter the trailer does not sway And the tires on my Airstrem do not pop. Had a great trip. In fact that's why I Purchased the airstream because it toes so very easily. It's back in its garage clean and ready for the fall.
Aluminum pulling Aluminum 2018 F-150 4X4 Platinum, 3.5L V-6, 10 speed trans, 6.5 bed, Max Tow 3.55 Elec Locking axle, Roadmaster Active Suspension ~ 2015 Airstream Custom Ordered 27fb International Serenity - Lafayette Louisiana
WBCCI 11100
LaBigDogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #425
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
What kind of hitch do you use? Also, you might want to check your owners manual about towing in cruise control. I agree, most of the problems on the forum are blown out of proportion by a few members. Jim
Old 07-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #426
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBigDogs View Post
Just returned from a 5000 mile trip out west. Went 4x4ing in the back country.... I love Electric Steering..it is flawless all the feel of the rocky road, and on the highway it is flawless as well. Btw towed my 2011 25fb by hitching it up, to my EcoBoost F-150. It does not sway, you cannot feel 18 wheelers pass by, drove thou dust storms, high winds and like the last 10,000 of towing it was flawless. My truck did not sputter.... In fact the Cruise control would climb 8% hills at 65 mph with no loss of speed, lots of power towing. I know a lots of you will not want to hear this but the truck did not sputter the trailer does not sway And the tires on my Airstrem do not pop. Had a great trip. In fact that's why I Purchased the airstream because it toes so very easily. It's back in its garage clean and ready for the fall.
prey tell...what hitch...im in the middle of sorting this out

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #427
3 Rivet Member

Carencro , Louisiana
I "Free Ball" it! Just the original factory hitch. My 2013 Platinum 4x4 F-150 has hd Trailer toe pack large power Telescopic "F-250" mirrors, 3.73 axle and I replaced all tires with an a/t larger tire. I also had RoadMaster spring installed. My 2011 platinum 4x4 F-150 ecoBoost had the same equipment except 3.55 Axle ratio - I like this ratio much better, but I wanted the huge mirrors and it was in a package on the 2013....
Aluminum pulling Aluminum 2018 F-150 4X4 Platinum, 3.5L V-6, 10 speed trans, 6.5 bed, Max Tow 3.55 Elec Locking axle, Roadmaster Active Suspension ~ 2015 Airstream Custom Ordered 27fb International Serenity - Lafayette Louisiana
WBCCI 11100
Old 07-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #428
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
"cause I'm freeee.....free baalllliiin"

Old 07-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #429
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I "Free Ball" it! Just the original factory hitch. My 2013 Platinum 4x4 F-150 has hd Trailer toe pack large power Telescopic "F-250" mirrors, 3.73 axle and I replaced all tires with an a/t larger tire. I also had RoadMaster spring installed. My 2011 platinum 4x4 F-150 ecoBoost had the same equipment except 3.55 Axle ratio - I like this ratio much better, but I wanted the huge mirrors and it was in a package on the 2013....
Studies have proved that you "will" become a stastic in time, when you and your passengers least expect it.

Load equalizing hitches have a purpose, that it appears you have sent to the curb.

By the way, since attorneys are desperate for work, make sure you have plenty of liabilty insurance.

Loss of control accidents happen all the time, and usually to those that have discarded safety and Physics.

Step up to the plate and get rigged properly, and safely.

Andy
Old 07-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #430
3 Rivet Member

Carencro , Louisiana
I love it! You have to resort to scare tactics to lure your customers into your shop and or website. First off I like to say that I'm 55 years old and have never been in a automobile accident or an aircraft accident, I'm am a certified Airline transport jet pilot. I travel extensively, been to all 50 states all the Canadian provinces and territories most of Mexico. I've driven to Alaska, Inevk Northwest Territories, I've driven to Key West I've driven to Main, I've driven to Seattle Washington all without incident. In college I made an A in honors advanced physics. I don't live in California I'm glad about not living California I live in Louisiana and proud to live in Louisiana. Sounds like the attorneys in California are much like your business with scare tactics. I will continue to do what I have done all my life and I do truly feel with the tow vehicle that I have matched to the airstream that is a perfect balance and any apparatus with actually cause more harm than good. A good place to start on the confusion is here you can say that whoever spends the most money believes they have the best system but I say keep it simple that's the way it was designed. I can afford any apparatus, I choose not to because of all The confusion and misunderstanding. And yes I have fantastic liability coverage. I truly believe this form is for advice not scare tactics. If I would done this in the four businesses I own I would be broke however in 30 years I've never had to resort to that.
WBCCI 11100
Old 07-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #431
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I love it! You have to resort to scare tactics to lure your customers into your shop and or website. First off I like to say that I'm 55 years old and have never been in a automobile accident or an aircraft accident, I'm am a certified Airline transport jet pilot. I travel extensively, been to all 50 states all the Canadian provinces and territories most of Mexico. I've driven to Alaska, Inevk Northwest Territories, I've driven to Key West I've driven to Main, I've driven to Seattle Washington all without incident. In college I made an A in honors advanced physics. I don't live in California I'm glad about not living California I live in Louisiana and proud to live in Louisiana. Sounds like the attorneys in California are much like your business with scare tactics. I will continue to do what I have done all my life and I do truly feel with the tow vehicle that I have matched to the airstream that is a perfect balance and any apparatus with actually cause more harm than good. A good place to start on the confusion is here you can say that whoever spends the most money believes they have the best system but I say keep it simple that's the way it was designed. I can afford any apparatus, I choose not to because of all The confusion and misunderstanding. And yes I have fantastic liability coverage. I truly believe this form is for advice not scare tactics. If I would done this in the four businesses I own I would be broke however in 30 years I've never had to resort to that.
Not care, just facts.

I have investigated over 1000 loss of control accidents, which answered many "why" questions.

Speed for aircraft is a friend.

Speed for towing an Airstream, can be an enemy.

Andy
Old 07-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #432
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Andy referenced "studies"...I am a "geek" by nature and if there are studies that show driving airstreams without sway control increases significantly the statistical odds of accidents, then that is evidence that bears down and supercedes opinion.

Perhaps Andy it will be useful for you to cite this research at this point to further prove the point?

I am a newb about this all, but LaBigDogs...without KNOWING the answer to this question myself (without knowing the research he speaks of), your response is not surprising...

If I assume that the research shows this safety risk, then I could draw the analogy to my patients in my clinic who when told smoking increases the statistical risk greatly of lung cancer, COPD, etc...and they tell me "well, my grandpa smoked two packs per day for 63 years and was healthy and died at age 98"....

"risk" usually in most cases requires a look at statistics...sometimes the stats are so profound that the risk bleeds into the common knowledge without the need even for stats...

Not saying I know the answers to these questions, but that is food for thought...if there is scientific evidence that speaks to what Andy speaks of, then it is information and not scare tactics? "scare tactics" imply that the assertion is entirely contrived for an alterior motive...makes sense I guess if you are trying to sell more of this or that equipment...but im willing to guess we have some elements of research that speak to the need for sway control? That show that without it, there is a higher statistical risk of accidents?

Googling for such research now

Old 07-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #433
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Accusing people of "scare tactics" is getting personal. 'Dogs, if you don't want a WD hitch or sway control, that's your privilege, but debate the facts and not the personality. What one person sees as "scare tactics" others may see as advice, perhaps not stated quite perfectly.

You are right to be proud of your accident free life, however, no one is bullet proof and accidents can happen in the future—or, as it is said, past performance is not indicative of future results.

As I see it, sway control increases the margin of safety when things go wrong. Cheap insurance.

Gene
Old 07-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #434
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I know I shouldn't take the bait, but I can't believe someone who is 55 and travels extensively has never been in an auto accident. There are too many idiots out there, and sometimes there's nothing you can do - like the time I was rear-ended at a red light, or the time someone pulled out from a parallel parking spot without looking and hit the side of my car.

To be fair, for most accidents, a lawsuit just isn't worth the trouble or expense. Lawsuits are messy, and insurance companies want to settle and move on. That said, I have a friend that was sued over a traffic accident she wasn't even involved in (someone was using her car and caused an accident), and the plaintiff wasn't seriously injured, so it does happen. People look for a payday. But this is also why you carry insurance in the first place.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote