Old 11-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #393
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
I have an Equalizer and back out of my storage shed every time I use the trailer. Because of tight quarters, I need to jack knife while backing, of course very slowly. After 4 years I have not had any issues except for a lot of creaking and groaning.

John

Old 11-04-2011, 03:49 PM   #394
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I know about the no back up rule. But for me a rule is just begging a challenge. I must admit previously the ball thingy was too forward and caused me to bend the thick cast iron on the hitch where it's partner is.

Taking off the friction bar before backing is best practice. Usually I'm in too much of a hurry or too lazy or both. Not the best personality traits. As Arlo Guthrie said "you can't always do what you are supposed to do".

My towing guru says that it isn't necessary to take the friction bars off when backing up, at least not on his installations. I do, though, because our bars can be noisy. Well, if I remember I do.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:57 PM   #395
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
After 4 years I have not had any issues except for a lot of creaking and groaning.

John
You? or the friction bar?
Old 02-13-2013, 08:17 AM   #396
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
It would be nice if people who are posting would not add links to advertising unless that link pertained to the topic of discussion.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #397
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Saint Charles , Illinois
We have the same model Airstream and it pulls very nicely by virtue of the sway control. We were recently in the Keys for a month, and happened to be moving from one state park to another, crossing all those bridges in a 40 mph crosswind. Although not as sophisticated as the Hensley, our Reese Dual Cam system kept my truck and trailer on a straight course without much movement at all.
I dare say the people traveling in the opposite lane were also happy I had sway control.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #398
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Sway control is just a basic necessity for an Airstream. Safety AND comfort make this mandatory.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #399
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
Sway control is just a basic necessity for an Airstream. Safety AND comfort make this mandatory.
PLUS covering a liability to your family and or passengers.

Andy
Old 06-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #400
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Taft , Texas
I stay off the interstates if at all possible. Probably less than 100 miles on Alaska trip, and maybe 100 to Newfoundland.
We are retired and this is supposed to be fun. We meander around on secondary roads getting a feel for the people and places. Every interstate in every state is about the same in my opinion, and I HATE the danged trucks. Drove one for ten years in my early days and know how hard it is to stop 80,000 pounds. In my day we were governed to 62 mph. Now the sky is the limit and it's not safe.
2016 F-350 6.7 Diesel (Overkill and loving it)
Matt Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:17 AM   #401
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Taft , Texas
Good point, but isn't that just as aptly said about life in general. "I went 60 years without cancer and then bingo."
Point is. Many people are new on here, and new to towing. Making them feel like they are going to upset if they don't have sway control is a very broad statement. I'm pulling 5,300 pound with an 8,000 pound truck. That tail ain't gonna wag the dog. You can't say across the board that people need sway control, and most that need it also need a beefier TV.
When I was new I bought into all sorts of crap on this forum because I didn't know any better. Gave away my new Goodyear Marathons and bought what was being touted here. Now after over 100,000 miles towing my Airstream I KNOW
2016 F-350 6.7 Diesel (Overkill and loving it)
Matt Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:15 AM   #402
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Kline View Post
Good point, but isn't that just as aptly said about life in general. "I went 60 years without cancer and then bingo."
Point is. Many people are new on here, and new to towing. Making them feel like they are going to upset if they don't have sway control is a very broad statement. I'm pulling 5,300 pound with an 8,000 pound truck. That tail ain't gonna wag the dog. You can't say across the board that people need sway control, and most that need it also need a beefier TV.
When I was new I bought into all sorts of crap on this forum because I didn't know any better. Gave away my new Goodyear Marathons and bought what was being touted here. Now after over 100,000 miles towing my Airstream I KNOW
This is why I keep reading these posts. I have to sit and chuckle most of the time seeing these people worried about sway bars and air hitches and every other toy to pull with they think they must have. If the tow vehicle is not undersized like most of these are then they can safely tow without all these gadgets and never have an issue. An F250 and an airstream seems to be about right for TV. WDH is not mandatory but if you think it will make you safer then by all means buy that hitch. Make sure you are very through with your maintenance on your TV and trailer.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #403
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
You might do some checking to see when Ford quit making "twin-I-Beams"; it was a while ago, a long while ago.
WRONG ANSWER MIKE> I have a 2002 F350 AND IT HAS TWIN I BEAM. The 3/4 and 1 ton trucks still have I beam construction
Old 06-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #404
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Every interstate in every state is about the same in my opinion, and I HATE the danged trucks. Drove one for ten years in my early days and know how hard it is to stop 80,000 pounds. In my day we were governed to 62 mph. Now the sky is the limit and it's not safe.
LOL...I usually prefer dealing with trucks - people in cars often do incredibly stupid things like pulling out in front of you or not letting you merge in as your lane ends. Funny to hear a former truck driver say the opposite.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #405
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
I'm always undecided as to whether or not I should wade in on these sorts of posts. I will wade in, though, as I don't think it's helpful to newbies to make such sweeping statements; at best it shows a lack of some fairly basic knowledge of towing dynamics.

Sway is not a function of the tow vehicle. The trailer sways and it sways about its single point of attachment to the tow vehicle, assuming you don't have WD or sway control, and its the same for any ball hitch trailer regardless of tow vehicle. The likelihood of the trailer swaying is increased for any number of reasons including wind, road surface and speed. I suppose the tow vehicle itself could cause some sway if it's not set up corrrectly or being driven badly but I assume everyone here sets up and drives properly. If you do nothing to mitigate the possibilty of sway then when any of the preceeding factors come into play then your trailer will be at a much greater risk of sway and it doesn't matter if you're attached to a monster truck, that single point of attachment will be your weakest link.

If you want to make responsible statements for newbies then perhaps you should be saying that despite having a big and powerful truck, you should invest in a properly adjusted weight distribution system to spread the load across all the available axles as there are no disadvantages to WD, and then add sway control or elimination as an added safety measure. That way your trailer will be at a much lesser risk of swaying although, and you need to be aware of this, if that trailer ever encounters harsh enough conditions it may just sway to the point of no return any way, regardless of your tow vehicle.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #406
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
I'm always undecided as to whether or not I should wade in on these sorts of posts. I will wade in, though, as I don't think it's helpful to newbies to make such sweeping statements; at best it shows a lack of some fairly basic knowledge of towing dynamics.

Sway is not a function of the tow vehicle. The trailer sways and it sways about its single point of attachment to the tow vehicle, assuming you don't have WD or sway control, and its the same for any ball hitch trailer regardless of tow vehicle. The likelihood of the trailer swaying is increased for any number of reasons including wind, road surface and speed. I suppose the tow vehicle itself could cause some sway if it's not set up corrrectly or being driven badly but I assume everyone here sets up and drives properly. If you do nothing to mitigate the possibilty of sway then when any of the preceeding factors come into play then your trailer will be at a much greater risk of sway and it doesn't matter if you're attached to a monster truck, that single point of attachment will be your weakest link.

If you want to make responsible statements for newbies then perhaps you should be saying that despite having a big and powerful truck, you should invest in a properly adjusted weight distribution system to spread the load across all the available axles as there are no disadvantages to WD, and then add sway control or elimination as an added safety measure. That way your trailer will be at a much lesser risk of swaying although, and you need to be aware of this, if that trailer ever encounters harsh enough conditions it may just sway to the point of no return any way, regardless of your tow vehicle.
You've got that right. The worst trailer swaying I've seen was basicly a large job-site type generator with an axle and coupler on it, it was swaying so bad I wouldn't have been surprised to see it rip the coupler off the ball or trailer.

Oh yeah it was being towed by a 10 wheel dump truck not a tiny (by comparison) duel rear wheel F350 so I wouldn't be surprised if the driver never felt it back there.