Old 10-24-2011, 10:47 PM   #323
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
I wonder how many folks posting here, actually have experience with the various hitch types.

I happen to have experience with 4 of the 5 types.

Here's what's left of my friction anti-sway bar setup. 2500 RAM megacab (the last pic is the location of the rollover... yes, it was uphill):

Here's my Equal-I-zer setup:

The Hensley Arrow on my 2008 Classic:

and just the ball on my '65 Ambassador:

Friction bars are useless.
The rollover was the first (and last) instance of any sway with that rig- at all. At 65 mph, it was instantaneous- like cracking a whip, and uncontrollable.

Equal-I-zer was adequate, but felt much the same as my friction bar.

There is no substitute for the Hensley. The most solid, balanced towing experience, ever.

Nothin' but ball works well enough for the much lighter Ambassador (not even torsion bars)- but then, we don't take that one over 55mph... and once the refit is finished, and we're treking long distances, I'll install a ProPride.

Hi, Joe. Don't you have some interesting pictures of your Hensley Arrow to show us? You know the ones with all of the worn out and bent parts. Deminished something......

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:41 AM   #324
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Bob,

Not sure what your point is.
But if you're referring to my thread "diminished hensley performance",
Here's a link to the problems resolution:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ml#post1050781

-J

Old 10-26-2011, 08:55 AM   #325
ptv
pv

2008 23' Safari FB SE
st. aug. , Florida
absolutely yes----------------I even went so far as to install the standard sway bar (friction) that in combo with the super arms and chain that came with trailer have now created very safe no sway--even with larger trucks passing at 75mph!!. This combo is by far the best ever, after owning 3 rigs so far.. pv
Old 10-26-2011, 11:47 AM   #326
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Taft , Texas
I've been following this thread with interest. Now I'll give my two cents worth based on ten years semi experience and over 80,000 miles pulling RV's in the past three years.

Don't try to put a guilt trip on me for not using sway control, and then brag about how stable your rig is at 75 mph.

Don't try to put a guilt trip on me for not using sway control and then pull a 25' AS with an undersized, underpowered TV.

I question whether a semi with the best maintained equipment is safe going down the highway at 75 mph, and don't question, but know for certain that grandpa ain't safe at that speed pulling a travel trailer. You can have the best sway control in the world and still aren't equipped to cope with emergency situations arising at high speed.

When I bought my AS they talked me into spending $800. on an Equalizer. I tried it both ways and out of guilt, thanks to these threads, used the Equalizer until it broke coming out of a parking lot. Since then I've done a 10,000 plus miles trip to Alaska, and a 12,000 mile trip to Newfoundland and the Eastern US. I never drive over 65, and usually try to stay at 60. Remember, we worked all our lives to do this, and it's supposed to be relaxing, not a marathon.

The ONLY time I had the crap scared out of me was with the Equalizer on an interstate highway, in high wind, with semis blowing by me at 75 mph.
2016 F-350 6.7 Diesel (Overkill and loving it)
Matt Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #327
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Do you know for sure that the hitch was a factor in the roll over? Poeple have accidents all the time and they were not even pulling a trailer. How come the trailer did not break loose from the truck? What were the driving conditions when this happened? Something percipitated the wreck. I almost wrecked my Ranger in the rain at 45mph and I was not pulling a trailer. I still took out the door of the truck in the lane next to me. Maybe your experience made you a safer driver whatever the rig you tow with. I know I don't drive as fast in the rain anymore.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
I wonder how many folks posting here, actually have experience with the various hitch types.

I happen to have experience with 4 of the 5 types.

Here's what's left of my friction anti-sway bar setup. 2500 RAM megacab (the last pic is the location of the rollover... yes, it was uphill):

Here's my Equal-I-zer setup:

The Hensley Arrow on my 2008 Classic:

and just the ball on my '65 Ambassador:

Friction bars are useless.
The rollover was the first (and last) instance of any sway with that rig- at all. At 65 mph, it was instantaneous- like cracking a whip, and uncontrollable.

Equal-I-zer was adequate, but felt much the same as my friction bar.

There is no substitute for the Hensley. The most solid, balanced towing experience, ever.

Nothin' but ball works well enough for the much lighter Ambassador (not even torsion bars)- but then, we don't take that one over 55mph... and once the refit is finished, and we're treking long distances, I'll install a ProPride.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:05 PM   #328
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Polls are no more than popularity surveys, and what is most popular is frequently the cheapest, not the best.
What happened to the poll? It's gone, and the link to it

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ml#post1062686

returns an error message.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:25 PM   #329
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I get a message that I don't have permission to access the page. Sounds like a mod removed it for the honchos to look at.

Gene
Old 10-27-2011, 06:42 AM   #330
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I get a message that I don't have permission to access the page. Sounds like a mod removed it for the honchos to look at.

Gene
Aw shucks....just when we were starting to have some fun.

Loose-up please.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:58 AM   #331
ptv
pv

2008 23' Safari FB SE
st. aug. , Florida
Not sure what interstate u can safely drive at 60? I try to stay as close to 70 as possible and still get passed by huge trucks. It's obvious that anything short of 68-70mph causes accidents!! My anti sway solution can only be bettered when airstream sells me a 5th wheel!!!pv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Kline View Post
I've been following this thread with interest. Now I'll give my two cents worth based on ten years semi experience and over 80,000 miles pulling RV's in the past three years.

Don't try to put a guilt trip on me for not using sway control, and then brag about how stable your rig is at 75 mph.

Don't try to put a guilt trip on me for not using sway control and then pull a 25' AS with an undersized, underpowered TV.

I question whether a semi with the best maintained equipment is safe going down the highway at 75 mph, and don't question, but know for certain that grandpa ain't safe at that speed pulling a travel trailer. You can have the best sway control in the world and still aren't equipped to cope with emergency situations arising at high speed.

When I bought my AS they talked me into spending $800. on an Equalizer. I tried it both ways and out of guilt, thanks to these threads, used the Equalizer until it broke coming out of a parking lot. Since then I've done a 10,000 plus miles trip to Alaska, and a 12,000 mile trip to Newfoundland and the Eastern US. I never drive over 65, and usually try to stay at 60. Remember, we worked all our lives to do this, and it's supposed to be relaxing, not a marathon.

The ONLY time I had the crap scared out of me was with the Equalizer on an interstate highway, in high wind, with semis blowing by me at 75 mph.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:09 AM   #332
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptv View Post
Not sure what interstate u can safely drive at 60? I try to stay as close to 70 as possible and still get passed by huge trucks. It's obvious that anything short of 68-70mph causes accidents!! My anti sway solution can only be bettered when airstream sells me a 5th wheel!!!pv
This aint true! I drive 63 (sweet spot on torque curve) and NEVER have had anyone try and run over me. Not even on I75! Just stay in the right lane (maybe second from right in urban areas).

This "gotta drive fast to be safe" is BUNK!
Old 10-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #333
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post

Gene
The thing I don't understand is that thread was fairly civil. The real sturm und drang was on this thread, which is still here. Might have been a commercial issue, since some hitches were mentioned by brand name and others were not.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #334
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
The thing I don't understand is that thread was fairly civil. The real sturm und drang was on this thread, which is still here. Might have been a commercial issue, since some hitches were mentioned by brand name and others were not.
Exactly. The trouble with this censorship is that we children never know what is going on and have no chance to correct our wayward actions.

So far as speed on expressways goes, we limit top speed to 65 because any faster doesn't feel good. But the flow on the road is dynamic and interruptions to that flow can cause problems. It operates like fluid dynamics—watch water flowing naturally in a stream and put a rock in the way and look at the turmoil it causes.

When someone is going 40 on an interstate, it disrupts traffic and causes people to do bad things to get around the slower vehicle. Ever notice when a cop is going slightly below the speed limit and traffic piles up behind him without sufficient space between vehicles and most people are afraid to pass a cop going 63 when the limit is 65. Or how people cut around you when you are towing your trailer and cut in front of you with hardly any space? If he had to stop suddenly, you'd plow into him because your braking distance is longer. These are situations where you have to be very attentive and respect the traffic flow.

Gene
Old 10-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #335
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Just finished 1600 mile trip yesterday Mn to NM at my usual 60-65 mph speed, interstate and two-lane. Slowed to 50-55 mph in exceptionally bad and gusting crosswinds so I felt a margin of safety. If it got any worse I would have spent the day sightseeing.

Some fifty years of driving have taught me adjusting speed to conditions is the best way to avoid an accident. Never had nor caused one. Oversized tow vehicles and fancy hitches may give you some confidence you don't deserve.

Okay, so most surely some trucker or other driver may wish I would get the heck off the road than go to all the trouble of changing lanes to pass me. Professional drivers can handle it. Some drivers can't handle anything.

No doubt someone can describe this as an unsafe situation to other drivers, or inconsiderate. Truth is it is not either.

doug k

finalcutjoe, would you describe the accident pictured. Do you really think it was the fault of the hitch?
Old 10-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #336
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Some fifty years of driving have taught me adjusting speed to conditions is the best way to avoid an accident. Never had nor caused one. Oversized tow vehicles and fancy hitches may give you some confidence you don't deserve.

Experience towing without problems does not equal experience towing with a problem. Unless one trains for towing a swaying trailer there is no reason to believe that one will know how to control it once it starts. Police, fire and military do not sit around saying we haven't had a problem in 3 years so there is no need for using the best equipment available for the instance that a problem occurs.

I can't name the number of times I've heard, "I have towed for 30 years without a problem, then all of a sudden..."

Confidence is a funny thing that can be ascribed to many things.

Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote