Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2010, 11:37 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
1964 24' Tradewind
1956 18' "Footer"
Southern , Minnesota
Fotochop haiku
sway control is essential
use it or lose it

Steve "Dancin" Hansen
TAC MN-31

visit my almost yearly blog https://www.bluessafari.blogspot.com
GR8DANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:57 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanl View Post
No you do not need sway control.
What should guide you is your driving experience.

Sway control will not prevent accidents and may or may not provide a handling edge when you need it.
You say a sway control may ot may not provide a handling edge. But you also state that you don't need a sway control.

In the same light, a doctor, "may or may not" save your life.

Good brakes "may or may not" save your life.

Good tires "may or may not" save your life.

Seat belts "may or may not" save your life.

Proper medicines "may or may not" save your life.

Sensible towing speeds "may or may not" save your life.

When it becomes a question of "what if" most people will do what society mostly does, and they do everything that they can, and eliminate as many negative chances as they can.

Some people like to lean over the cliff. Most don't.

A "good" sway control, basically stops the sway from happening.

Trucks are no magical towing vehicle, semi-trucks excepted.

Anyone, that chooses to tow without using a sway control, at least a good sway control, is begging for trouble, and sooner or later, that trouble will find them when they least expect it.

Additionally, attorneys being what they are today, will sue the devil out of someone that lost control of their rig that caused property or bodily injury or death.

The RV industry, promotes the use of sway controls. That's common knowledge.

But, sdince we live in a free country, each of us can make choices of how we live our lives. If a person chooses to ignore safety issues, and then hurts something or someone, there is no question in any court of law, that they are liable for their actions, or lack thereof.

I have been there and done that representing an insurance company.

Why do we have insurance for anything?? In case something goes wrong, is the best answer there is.

If nothing goes wrong, then the insurance premium was a waste of money, but having the piece of mind, makes that expendature easily justified.

Spending many thousand of dollars on a tow vehicle and and even many more dollars on an Airstream, is a huge investment. Protecting that investment, as much as a person can do, is the usual way of American life.

But, that choice and risk belongs to the individual that made that decision.

For the vast majority of travel trailer owners, that risk is not worth talking about.

Therefore, a good sway control is "IN, and poor decisions regarding not using sway controls is "OUT".

Take a poll, and see what most everyone does to maximize towing safety, for themselves and for all their passengers.

We proved many years ago, that the lack of using a decent sway control, caused about one third of the loss of control accidents.

A good sway control, does exactly that. It stops a sway from starting in the first place. No if's ands, or buts.

There are way too many risks in life today, and it's sort of silly to subject one's self to any more than is absolutely necessary. And, especially when the cost to avoid a risk, such as using no sway control, is very small peanuts compared to the overall investment.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:01 AM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8DANE View Post
Fotochop haiku
use it or lose it
Safety, safety, and more safety.

Most people appreciate what it means, but, some could care less.

The saddest part of that is, we have to be on the same highway with them, and their passengers don't have a clue to anything but a trust in that persons judgement, that "may or may not" be correct.

Look out for arguements.

andy
Old 02-12-2010, 12:35 AM   #24
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
I pulled my new-to-me 72 Airstream (4100 lbs or so) home recently w/o sway control. The distance was less than 150 miles, and covered only mild hills and roads. I tow w/ a F250 crewcab 4x4 which weighs 7100 lbs empty, and is quite stiff from side to side. This combo felt quite reasonable and safe, and once I replace the trailer's axles and brakes (the trailer brakes were non-functional) I would not hesitate to tow this trailer w/ that truck w/o sway control or weight distribution.

Others may feel very differently. You'll see a lot of heated debate on this topic, as others have mentioned. It all depends on your TV, your AS and you.

I apparently have most or all of the pieces of the Reese antisway and WD hitch the original owner used; I'll give that a try and see what kind of a difference this makes. Perhaps I'll become a convert.

Right now, I find keeping 12-15% of the trailer weight on the hitch, and loading the truck to close to gvw does a good job in keeping the ride unexciting.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:07 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
I pulled my new-to-me 72 Airstream (4100 lbs or so) home recently w/o sway control. The distance was less than 150 miles, and covered only mild hills and roads. I tow w/ a F250 crewcab 4x4 which weighs 7100 lbs empty, and is quite stiff from side to side. This combo felt quite reasonable and safe, and once I replace the trailer's axles and brakes (the trailer brakes were non-functional) I would not hesitate to tow this trailer w/ that truck w/o sway control or weight distribution.

Others may feel very differently.
Yup!

That is great. You have just proven to yourself that on a nice sunny day, with ideal driving and weather conditions, your rig "without appropriate safety" equipment. performed perfectly.

Auhhhhh, if we only lived in a perfect world!
Old 02-12-2010, 06:26 AM   #26
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
Yup!

That is great. You have just proven to yourself that on a nice sunny day, with ideal driving and weather conditions, your rig "without appropriate safety" equipment. performed perfectly.

Auhhhhh, if we only lived in a perfect world!
Some people believe they "DO" live in a perfect world.

Because their decisions are always correct, even when ignoring Physics, because it doesn't apply to them anyway.

Andy
Old 02-12-2010, 07:02 AM   #27
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanl View Post
Sway control will not prevent accidents and may or may not provide a handling edge when you need it.

A sway control device is a damper like a shock absorber. It does not prevent rotations around the hitch
With all due respect, in my opinion, you have no idea what your TALKING about. How long have you towed with a Hensley or ProPride?, both of which don't CONTROL sway they ELIMINATE it.

Tell me where the "damper" or "shock absorber" is in this photograph.

Addressing the original posters question....sway control is a safety device...the more safe the better, for you and others on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	06 BURB SHAKEDOWN TRIP 018.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	408.8 KB
ID:	96022  
Old 02-12-2010, 07:43 AM   #28

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
You don't NEED seat belts, either, but I choose to wear them.

I agree with with Bob. I have logged well over 100,000 pulling heavy trailers with quality sway control/weight distribution equipment.My towing experience has always been very good, even under adverse conditions. It has been my experience that my driving track is actually more stable when towing the Airstream vs. the Suburban by itself. The Suburban is much more susceptible to significant cross winds when not towing the Airstream.

I have seen many towing rigs heading down the road doing the 'Interstate highway two-step' after being passed by a semi. When I eventually pass these guys, there is most ofter no hitch system in use. I have also noticed several of these Rhodes Scholars with anti-sway/weight distribution installed, but didn't bother putting on the WD bars. Go figure. These guys can't be having a pleasant towing experience.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:59 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Just for the sheer joy of it I'll stick my neck back out on the ole chopping block. I do not see any evidence that you need sway control. My experiance teaches me the same. Load your trailer properly,balance your rig properly, drive within your skill set. Be aware of your surroundings and conditions at all times.
As for the legal/moral malarky,I'll say it again. As we speak trailers are being loaded for a drive event here at the Arizona Proving Ground.!0 plus cargo type enclosed box trailers. They are loaded from 10-15K. They will be towed all over Arizona's public highways next week. None will have sway control on the hitches.
Adios, John
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:12 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
What hasn't been mentioned much is driving comfort. I towed my 25' Safari home from Indianapolis with no sway control or weight distribution with a 8,000 pound Ford Excursion. It handled very well but semi trucks passing me would indeed tug sideways on the trailer even with my big, heavy truck. That's just the physics of wind velocity.

Besides the safety aspect, having a weight distribution hitch with sway control will make the driving experience much more comfortable. The sway control will provide tension between the truck and trailer making it feel more like one cohesive unit. You won't be constantly making steering corrections to drive a straight line like you would be without one. The drive will just be much more pleasant and less fatiguing on the driver.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:15 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Got a question for you...

My Airstreams are all 22'. One weighs 1300lbs, l one around 2500 to 3000 and then the heavy weight 21' Sovereign. I have always felt OK with only the friction sway bar connection. I do have a 750lbReese hitch but never use it...I guess I should..at least on the Sovereign. Will that hitch give any sway prevention or control? By the way...the 1300lb one is a pipe frame and I am just making up a friction sway connection for it now...I really don't see any way to make up a real sway prevention hitch mount. Again, any suggestions?
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:22 AM   #32
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel1 View Post
Load your trailer properly,balance your rig properly, drive within your skill set. Be aware of your surroundings and conditions at all times.

Adios, John
What's the proper loading.

How does a person know that it's correct?

What's the proper balancing?

How does a person know it's correct.

Driving skills vary all over the place. What works for one, doesn't have a chance with another.

Be aware of the surroundings? Why? What difference does it make if the surroundings are trees or desert?

Be aware of the conditions of what? The road?

What is a proper "SAFE" road?

Safety must never be compromised, unless a person could care less, about themselves.

Safety is never an issue, but it is a "MUST", at least for those that appreciate life.

As in any democracy, the majority rules, including proper rigging with safety maximized.

Those that choose to be in the minority, always make noise, and seldom make even common sense.

Daring to be different, has many rewards.

But daring to be different by ignoring maximizing safety when towing, has a reward most people don't want, under any circumstances, "EVER".

Most people, love to bust "butt", but not their own when it can easily and cheaply be avoided by maximizing safety.

Busting "butt" doing hard work and getting ahead in life, is a different, and a very positive matter. However, some people don't believe in that either.

There are 3 happenings relating to people.

1. There are those that wait around for things to happen.

2. There are those that say "what happened" as they don't have a clue.

3. There are those that "make" things happen.

Hooray for # 3.

Anyone else agree with # 3 ?

Andy
Old 02-12-2010, 08:32 AM   #33
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
My Airstreams are all 22'. One weighs 1300lbs, l one around 2500 to 3000 and then the heavy weight 21' Sovereign. I have always felt OK with only the friction sway bar connection. I do have a 750lbReese hitch but never use it...I guess I should..at least on the Sovereign. Will that hitch give any sway prevention or control? By the way...the 1300lb one is a pipe frame and I am just making up a friction sway connection for it now...I really don't see any way to make up a real sway prevention hitch mount. Again, any suggestions?
Friction sway control does not have a brain, in that it has no idea if your in a straight line or not.

Next, it exerts as much force against you when you try to return to a straight line.

Torsion sway controls, "do" have a brain.

Torsion sway controls continuously seek minimum torsion. When the rig is not in a straight line, the torsion increases, helping the rig to get back into that straight line, which is minimum torsion.

Torsion sway controls, within reason, will straighten out your rig, if you take your hands off the steering wheel. Try that with a friction sway control.

Friction sway controls offer resistance, but do not prevent a sway.

Torsion sway controls, within reason, prevent a sway from happening in the first place.

Amazing? No.

Just fact.

Andy
Old 02-12-2010, 08:36 AM   #34
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Andy,

We opted to make sway not happen....

The chooze is theirz....

unfortunately it can effect all of us.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:12 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Shane
You ask "Is sway control a necessity.? A /No. Is sway control Adviseable? A/Absouletly. We tow with an 8000lb F350 Diesel and an Old Style Straight Line Reese with 550 lbs bars.We get a smooth ride in truck and trailer,evidenced by the stuff left on the galley counter and table that is still there after a 300 mile trip.We are not prefect.We can load the trailer absoultely perfect or the truck. We travel alot of back roads cause the wife hates interstates,so we meet head on lots of different BIG RIG configurations,in varying wind conditions,without so much as a wiggle. Some will say you need a $2500/$3000 hitch,not so. I think I have about $200 bucks in my hitch,that I bought off Craigslist. Does the job just fine.
All that being said and the number of YES VOTES in favor of sway control. I think it would be a nobrainer. But sadly you will do what you want no matter what we say. We have been where you are and done that,and you get the benefit of our mistakes.
BEST OF LUCK TO YOU
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:33 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
carson city , Nevada
At the risk of being 'put in my place, again and again' I offer the following. All hitches are not the same and all hitches do not do the same function. There are sway mitigation hitches like the Equalizer and sway control/elimination hitches like HA or PP. They do not work the same and do not provide the same end results. No hitch (or seatbelt or air bags) can replace good driving habits. Those having good experiences w/o sway usually are driving heavy duty long wheelbase pickup trucks, heavy compared to a Ford Explorer for example, and it is harder for the tail to wag the dog especially a one ton dog or bigger with six skins down. Add to that a fairly light trailer, well proportioned as to fore and aft weight loading and the possibility of an accident is lower. It does not go away.

Conversely, a heavy trailer, poorly loaded behind a light duty short wheelbase tow vehicle and that risk factor goes up.

I don't think scare tactics work. If they did everybody in America would exercise and eat right. Most don't. It is better to use data and carefully crafted analysis in assessing the risk factors in towing. In the end it is your choice, how much risk is acceptable/unacceptable. Your choice affects your family and those others on the highway.
jmtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #37
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtandem View Post
Conversely, a heavy trailer, poorly loaded behind a light duty short wheelbase tow vehicle and that risk factor goes up.
I don't thonk a 31 or 34 foot Airstream weighin in at 6000 to 9000 pounds, is a light load, even for the larger trucks.

Quote:
I don't think scare tactics work. If they did everybody in America would exercise and eat right. Most don't.
Bad eating habits, do not cause sudden and accidental injuries or death.

Bad choices regarding safety, can and does, every day, in all to many ways.

Andy
Old 02-12-2010, 01:14 PM   #38
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotochop View Post
big trailer make flip

lacking sway control on hitch

airstream no like ditch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8DANE View Post
Fotochop haiku

use it or lose it

Made me laugh out loud

Could not agree more with you

Thanks for the funny

-
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:00 PM   #39
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
I will tow my Airstream with a 2007 Powerstoke diesel Crew cab 4x4. It has the camper/towing package. But no sway bars. Is this required? Is it a necessity? No one at the dealer even recommended it.

Here is my T.V.

Shane
No, you don't, but then, you didn't "need" 4WD, expensive aftermarket tires and wheels and who-knows-what-else on that truck. Ever seen a rollover? The tail wags the dog in trailer towing. Driver skill has NOTHING to do with it . . the day will come even for the skillful. Please don't tell us you've never wandered into another lane, distracted, and then jerked back into your own. Proper hitch rigging keeps that trailer glued to the TV. The number of situations where you wish you had done the thing correctly is too long to list.

The best set-up is a sway-eliminating hitch, trailer disc brakes, and top-of-the-line brake controller. Those smart enough to move to them NEVER go back to cheap substitutes. The performance edge gained (in a manner of speaking) will give no end of satisfaction. And consider upgrading TV shock absorbers from oem, as well as replacing anti-roll bar bushings with polyurethane.

Do a search, this subject has been done over and over, here and on other forums. ("does Bambi need sway control" is a good one) And don't forget to read the threads on adequate TT insurance coverage; some folks didn't like the surprise they received.

You chose an excellent trailer (over the crackerbox-square SOB's) with fully independent suspension and aerodynamic shape needing less road horsepower to tow. The truck is the weak link (after the driver), with poor steering feedback and high center-of-gravity so think about this the other way: How can I compensate for a TV with dead-poor handling & braking characteristics?

I towed my trailer (34') w/o WDH and anti-sway as an experiment, running across the top side of D/FW on my way to Roger Williams Airstream in Mineral Wells to have a Hensley installed. I could twitch that trailer into either lane with the barest effort. With the H/A installed -- and jerking it violently from lane to lane, onto shoulder and out to median throttle-on -- I knew I'd never need the next 29.85 days of the money-back guarantee, as I could no more shake that trailer than I could my own shadow. (I'd get the Pro Pride were I starting today).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , United States
No sway

Without sway control?
Attached Images

Greg@AirLA is offline   Reply With Quote