Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2011, 08:49 PM   #361
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Not an age thing.

Hi, my Dad drove his own car, [he did not tow] without incidents or accidents until he was 96 years old. [when he stopped driving] On the other hand, I have three generations of next door neighbors/drivers that should have never been given a license to drive; All three of them are constantly parking their cars on my brick planter boxes. It's not an age thing. I also believe that not all Airstreamers have the same driving abilities [most important safety item] and although many of the items people have bought will help them mechanically or mentally, they are not the answer or necesssary for all.

In the seven years that I have owned my trailer, with the same tow vehicle, in many thousands of miles, in all kinds of weather conditions, in all of the Western States, plus Canada and Alaska, my trailer has only swayed once, violently out of control. And there is not a hitch or device made that would have prevented it from happening. My trailer was parked in my driveway during a 5.0 Earthquake.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:14 AM   #362
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
REDNAX, do you plan to give your license up and stop driving at 65 years of age, yes or no?

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:22 AM   #363
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
No, why?
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:22 AM   #364
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
My hitch was made in China.

So how do I deal with the fung shway?

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:30 AM   #365
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Something made in China is not necessarily bad. If there is proper quality control it is as good as anything else. When you get something that is off brand from China you need to worry. Politics is another issue entirely.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:34 AM   #366
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
carson city , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post

In the seven years that I have owned my trailer, with the same tow vehicle, in many thousands of miles, in all kinds of weather conditions, in all of the Western States, plus Canada and Alaska, my trailer has only swayed once, violently out of control. And there is not a hitch or device made that would have prevented it from happening. My trailer was parked in my driveway during a 5.0 Earthquake.

A 5.0 earthquake in northern Nevada is one nobody gets out of bed for. How could it possibly cause your trailer to sway violently and out of control?
jmtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:50 PM   #367
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
True story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtandem View Post
A 5.0 earthquake in northern Nevada is one nobody gets out of bed for. [we don't either] how could it possibly cause your trailer to sway violently and out of control?
Hi, my Fantastic Vent was acting up. I determined that it needed the plunger switch replaced. I pulled my trailer forward to be able to gain access. [open door] I leaned my ladder on the side of my Safari and I was on my roof removing the plunger switch. I came down my ladder, laid my ladder in my driveway behind my trailer, went into my garage for about one minute. As I was coming out of my garage, through my gate, and right behind my trailer by about ten feet, I heard a bang [tongue jack bounce off of my concrete driveway] and my trailer swayed from side to side. Had it been still parked in it's normal location, it might have been bouncing off of the side of my house. I was on top of my trailer within about five minutes of the Earthquake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5587RS.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	274.2 KB
ID:	143958  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:36 AM   #368
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
carson city , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, my Fantastic Vent was acting up. I determined that it needed the plunger switch replaced. I pulled my trailer forward to be able to gain access. [open door] I leaned my ladder on the side of my Safari and I was on my roof removing the plunger switch. I came down my ladder, laid my ladder in my driveway behind my trailer, went into my garage for about one minute. As I was coming out of my garage, through my gate, and right behind my trailer by about ten feet, I heard a bang [tongue jack bounce off of my concrete driveway] and my trailer swayed from side to side. Had it been still parked in it's normal location, it might have been bouncing off of the side of my house. I was on top of my trailer within about five minutes of the Earthquake.

Fascinating and interesting from the standpoint of having an RV (of any kind) as a backup place to live in for a time should there be an earthquake that damages the home. I could see a motorcycle on a center stand rocking back and forth gently and maybe some rattling in the home's kitchen but an RV rocking out of control. And your house probably came through it perfectly fine............
jmtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:37 AM   #369
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Just cause Im 73 dont mean Im a bad driver. I still have the skills I developed with the 45 yrs of drivin a big truck.

But most never develop any skills worthy of note. Following the front wheels around isn't a skill. And, once old, these old bad habits come to bite them (and the rest of us) as there was never a principle involved in how to make driving decisions.

If I called MiketheFixit a steerin' wheel holder I can guarantee you it would be from well beyond the reach of arm or leg: that's truck driver shorthand for a clueless, skill-less driver.

Yet it may be a majority of drivers on the road.

Then we add to that the problem of age: medications, failing eyesight and hearing, lack of energy and a sad situation thus emerges.

This is not unrelated to the desirability for WDH: these arguments become silly when the claim is made by some that "they" never have a problem without it. One could bet that SAE and the OEM's would never bother in requiring it under some circumstances, well laid out, were the above statistically valid. It isn't.

The relation between old & bad is the further assumption that all roads are smoothly new, beautifully-lit, with mile long sight lines. All roads are limited access. All other drivers are young, highly-trained and their vehicles in perfect mechanical shape. All RV drivers are never tired, ill, injured or distracted. Their vehicles also never suffer malfunctions, as well as being designed from the ground up as TV's.

Etc.

Skill is great. And yet it's never quite enough.

????? I am confused?
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:55 AM   #370
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene

I can't remember. Let me ask my nurse. I'll text her while I drive through this cloverleaf and get the damn cap off my beer.

Gene
Man, you guys are funny! Sarcasm, wit and well written too. Keep it coming!
Old 10-30-2011, 12:52 PM   #371
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel1 View Post
????? I am confused?
Lack of driving skill is bad enough at a younger age, but a danger for some when old (and/or ill, etc).

WDH hitches keep "the performance envelope" of a tow rig closer to a solo vehicle.

As age is statistically valid for seeing accident rates increase, so also is towing a predictor for higher rates of accidents per mile traveled.

Older drivers need to be more careful (avoid night-time, check medication problems). Tow rigs need WDH set up according to formula; to be careful of how both vehicles are loaded, connected, etc.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:09 AM   #372
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Back on Sway Control

We were at a rally this weekend, and I noticed a couple of things about peoples hitches. First, there were mostly Reese Dual Cam hitches there...five of them. Second, three of the five used in addition to the cams, a friction sway control.

You can draw your own conclusions from that, as I have.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:11 AM   #373
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The dual cam is not very effective at eliminating sway?

Perry
Old 10-31-2011, 07:12 AM   #374
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
We were at a rally this weekend, and I noticed a couple of things about peoples hitches. First, there were mostly Reese Dual Cam hitches there...five of them. Second, three of the five used in addition to the cams, a friction sway control.

You can draw your own conclusions from that, as I have.

I'm just scratching my head????!!!!!! Having used both (independently from one another) it makes NO sense.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:40 AM   #375
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It looks like I can add this dual cam thing to my existing older type Reese hitch. I can't find a factory sight for Reese. I get sales info but not much else.

Here is their websight. Not much more info on there.

http://www.reeseprod.com/

Perry
Old 10-31-2011, 07:43 AM   #376
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Here ya go. Factory site.

Reese

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 10-31-2011, 07:44 AM   #377
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
However, this is where I bought.

Draw tite Trailer Hitches And Hitch Accessories. Drawtite, Reese Trailer Towing Products.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:45 AM   #378
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
It looks like I can add this dual cam thing to my existing older type Reese hitch. I can't find a factory sight for Reese. I get sales info but not much else.

Perry
If you do, I would suggest you try to get the older type that uses "U" bolts to attach to the trailer tongue as it is much easier to adjust.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:47 AM   #379
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
If you do, I would suggest you try to get the older type that uses "U" bolts to attach to the trailer tongue as it is much easier to adjust.
Don't think these are available NEW anymore. Used????

Old 10-31-2011, 07:51 AM   #380
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I did a little reading and I am not convinced so far. If I read it right the cam pops out in turns. What if it pops out when you really need it or causes you to not be able to gain control. It looks a little Rube Goldberg.

Perry