Old 10-13-2011, 07:26 AM   #211
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
They say not to use the friction sway system in the rain. I wonder why?

Perry
Don't know for sure, but I suspect it is because when the thing gets wet it sticks, pops, and groans.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:34 AM   #212
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Don't know about the rest of you, but I have a lot of money tied up in my rig, for a retired blue collar worker anyway, and I've used both types of the Reese Dual Cam hitch, both older and new....I've used two different styles of the Eazylift hitches with the friction sway devise. All this considered, and considering my family and I ride in this rig, and from my experieces with all these hitches, $2500 for the ProPride hitch is absolutely THE BEST money I have ever spent on RVing.

After using the ProPride for two seasons now, and approximately 35,000 miles, I would never go back to the lesser type WD hitches.

And, not like some on here, I do not sell hitches, nor am I in any way affiliated with ProPride other than being a happy customer.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:03 AM   #213
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
I would absolutely LOVE for someone to put together independent testing on ALL the hitch designs available.

I WILL pay my share of the costs. If you can get Reese, Equalizer and/or ANY of the others we can all pay an equal amount of the testing and reporting costs. I will even pay to host the data for the entire world to see and read.

Who has the pull with these other manufacturers to make this happen?

-
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #214
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
I would absolutely LOVE for someone to put together independent testing on ALL the hitch designs available.

I WILL pay my share of the costs. If you can get Reese, Equalizer and/or ANY of the others we can all pay an equal amount of the testing and reporting costs. I will even pay to host the data for the entire world to see and read.

-
Seems like you might be the best candidate, Sean .

I'd love to see this information too - would even pay to see it.

-Chris
Old 10-13-2011, 11:09 AM   #215
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
Quote:
Originally Posted by cms4140 View Post
Seems like you might be the best candidate, Sean .

I'd love to see this information too - would even pay to see it.

-Chris

I have NO PULL with any of them...

I'm not sure they want the truth to be known...
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:09 AM   #216
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Dunno, would RVIA be interested in that? NHTSA perhaps? IIHS maybe? Somebody will have to probably force the issue for all to participate.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:29 PM   #217
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Driving with the haha or ppp...

It's almost impossible to explain to others what it's like to drive a rig that is not plagued with sway....I gave up trying.

But I have let three fellow campers drive our rig,(all 3 SOB owners), with me along. "well yours is an AS and that tow's well to begin with", how will mine react. Very impressed but still skeptical.

You just don't know how it feels 'til you try it, kind'a like sex, once you try it you'll never do it the "other way" again

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #218
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Same as drum brakes or bias tires being adequate, when disc brakes and radials are much superior. Some don't want to hear it.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #219
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Well Sean you could start by testing your hitch compared to on the ball towing and that might get the ball rolling. If you have data to support your claims about added stability then maybe you can shame the others into doing the same or at least take their customers.

You could do slalom tests with and without your hitch. You could also do wet braking tests and intentional skid tests. You could start with a used SOB trailer and get some test parameters down and then use other trailers like Airstreams. I would also have a small tow vehicle and large one. I expect you are going to see the most benefit with the small vehicles and big trailers. What happens when you start a skid? Does the hitch help or hurt. Does it prevent the onset of skid or oscillation?

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post

-
Old 10-13-2011, 03:12 PM   #220
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I expect you are going to see the most benefit with the small vehicles and big trailers.

Let's try another way of looking at it:

Which can get through the slalom faster: a pickup truck or a sedan?

If the trailer is an A/S it'll be faster behind the sedan.

If weight and size were the determinant we'd pull 40' park trailers, wouldn't we? But they've poor performance, to say the least. High COG, non-existent aero, etc, etc. However, it's weight makes it resistant to problems . . and then it isn't.

So why should the TV be any different?

Most folks tend to think the trailer is the weak link . . but reality is that a high COG, crudely-suspended TV is or can be more of a problem.

Greater TV weight only delays problem onset for a moment longer. A lower COG TV with better suspension doesn't run into the same problems . . and if it does, is better able to move on down the road without incident. Incidents -- tripping hazards especially -- that will upset the larger TV.

Folks also tend to believe that a 5'er is more stable. The high COG and huge sail area are not overcome as a huge disadvantage. A TT with a VPP hitch replicates the 5'er hitch advantage, and an A/S is far better able to negotiate problems a 5'er never could. Run rings around it, in fact.

Any TV performs better with a VPP. But it will be the (worst case) 4WD pickup that benefits the most.

A/S? Travel at high speed!
Pickup? Travel at slow speed!

The potential performance margin is reduced by the choice of an inferior performing TV (for our actual travel speed matters little given reasonable prudence).

The safest trailer for the worst performing vehicle -- a pickup -- is an Airstream. Be a good idea to have the best hitch while one is about it.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:30 PM   #221
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Messed this one up sorry

Perry
Old 10-13-2011, 04:34 PM   #222
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Granted the pickup may not do that well in the slalom but it is the combination that counts. 4x4 trucks have a higher than necessary COG and that hurts them. A truck also has mass and that is going to control the trailer better when it starts to wag. A truck is great at holding a straight line and that is what we want. I don't have a 4X4 because the one time in two years you really need it you have to put up with all the down sides the rest of the time.

Panic braking is responsible for a lot of accidents trailer or not. If you are not moving in a straight line when you lock up the brakes or even hard braking you are in for trouble. I know not to push my pickup hard in the rain because it has no traction and it will break loose in a heart beat.

Perry
Old 10-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #223
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Don't know for sure, but I suspect it is because when the thing gets wet it sticks, pops, and groans.
When friction type sway controls get wet, the moisture acts as a lube, and therefore the friction is gone.

Same as wet regular brakes on a car or truck.

Andy
Old 10-13-2011, 09:03 PM   #224
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
When friction type sway controls get wet, the moisture acts as a lube, and therefore the friction is gone.

Same as wet regular brakes on a car or truck.

Andy
I know how wet brakes work, and the friction anti sway bar does not work like that. If it did, it wouldn't matter if you used it in the rain.

The thing sticks when it's wet. Brakes loose their effectiveness when they get wet. If you had actual experience with one of these sway control systems, you would know that.