4 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
1962 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Webster Groves , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...-in-17984.html

I've gone one direction and then another on this subject. The rear springs on a DODGE are truly stiff in 3/4T. But the aftermarket makes spring sets with a softer "top" to them (DEAVER; more leaves, more progressive); so keep that in mind as well.

All I know for sure is multiple weighings and a dead-accurate set of TW readings to inform any changes.
Do you have links for these products? Thanks!
Bob

Old 03-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #156
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhendrix View Post
Thanks guys, let me clarify. The device pictured in newrosewell's post is the friction sway control I was referring to. I sold it. I knew there were turning and backing issues with the friction sway control. One dealer even told me to disconnect the friction sway control when backing. In light of that, are there any limitations to backing or turning with the Reese Dual Cam sway control?
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggoofball View Post
I was answering for the Reese, so no, I find no limitations unless you are really really cranking a turn.
I found that it's a good idea to remove the arms before backing into a campsite. Not only can the bars pop out or bind inward in a really tight maneuver, it's really tough to get the bars off when trying to unhook, and your tow vehicle is still at a weird angle.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:23 PM   #157
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
Good call about the odd angle removal Terry.
biggoofball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #158
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
I have the Reese dual cam with sway bars and have backed into my driveway,residential street, and get my angle VERY sharp. Have had no sway bar problems. Always leave mine on when backing.

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:04 AM   #159
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
One of the interesting 'comments' about sway control devices is that Reese, Blue Ox, and others have come out with their own versions of the Equal-i-zer - which makes one wonder what they know that some of the more vehement advocates in this thread don't.

One should also note from reading through this thread that sway control is a matter of perception and belief and not of measure and reason. None of the posts here really define what sway control is, what it actually does for the purported benefits, and how its effect could be measured in some reasonable way. That is also something to think about.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #160
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
No need to accurately measure it.....

When it's eliminated....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:24 AM   #161
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
I think its common sense that if you can reduce or eliminate the chance of 6,000 lbs. doing its own thing while attached to you and your loved ones at 60 plus mph than you should do so. If you can't afford a decent hitch that will do this then you might want to consider doing something else with your spare time.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #162
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
I think its common sense that if you can reduce or eliminate the chance of 6,000 lbs. doing its own thing while attached to you and your loved ones at 60 plus mph than you should do so. If you can't afford a decent hitch that will do this then you might want to consider doing something else with your spare time.
Amen, amen.

Andy
Old 03-10-2010, 02:49 PM   #163
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanl View Post
... None of the posts here really define what sway control is...
only because those ISSUES have been addressed already in MANY other threads and several times...

books tend to improve with each edition or revision

by building on prior work, snipping OUT the errors and while incrementally adding new thoughts, ideas and solutions.

but repetitive new threads on common/old topics tend to ignore that process and ALL of the prior postings,

dumbing down with each new edition...

which is WHY these self help books were written...

Click image for larger version

Name:	new book.png
Views:	95
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	97869

and the advance materials...

Click image for larger version

Name:	old book.png
Views:	99
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	97870

eventually we'll just be finger painting the info...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:08 PM   #164
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
Agreed; we've seen some very scary outfits blowing in the wind. So scary, we've taken the next off-ramp and had lunch or breakfast or whatever.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:37 PM   #165
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
only because those ISSUES have been addressed already in MANY other threads and several times...

.....eventually we'll just be finger painting the info...

cheers
2air'
Gotta agree with ya.

When you look at the quality of some of the old threads, like this, the current thread just seems kind of hollow.

I think lots of people just got tired of the same old rehash with no new info, and it just keeps degenerating.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:43 PM   #166
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
I think lots of people just got tired of the same old rehash with no new info, and it just keeps degenerating.
What's important is knowledge; I belong to some professional forums and it is amazing how few people use the search function. We still give advice even though it's the same stuff over and over. You high posters should know that.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:52 PM   #167
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
sway control

One of the nice things about the "Forums", is that new people sign on almost everyday.

Those new owners have no idea what subjects may or may not have been discussed before. They also probably don't know the in's and out's of this Forums, as to "how to find things".

All of us were newcomers at one point.

Let those, new newcomers, ask away with the questions, as that's how all of us learned.

If an oldie doesn't want to read the repeat posts about old subjects, then so be it.

BUT, I feel that, as a group, we should not only welcome new comers, we should also try to help them better understand all about Airstreaming.

Where does it say, new comers should not have the same opportunity to learn on this Forums, as much as those have, who have been around for a long time.

Almost sounds like the older Forums members know, and that's as far as it should go. Maybe some of the old hot shots are not interested in the up bringing of new members.

I, for one, humbly disagree with that.

Everyone is welcome, and therefore everyone should have the same chance to learn.

If not, then the future of this Forums, quite well, may resemble the future of WBCCI.

I sincerely, hope not.

Andy
Old 03-10-2010, 05:16 PM   #168
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post

books tend to improve with each edition or revision

by building on prior work, snipping OUT the errors and while incrementally adding new thoughts, ideas and solutions.

but repetitive new threads on common/old topics tend to ignore that process and ALL of the prior postings,

dumbing down with each new edition...

which is WHY these self help books were written...

Attachment 97869

and the advance materials...

Attachment 97870

eventually we'll just be finger painting the info...

cheers
2air'
2air, your post count would be waaay low if all of your "use the search button" posts were deleted. Instead of pointing try leading.

Just say'n

I for one like the "live" information. Also go try searching for black tank problems in relation to a NEW airstream...Impossible. Most things here are related to Vintage repairs not too many new. It's a lot to weed through. The questions get answered a lot faster by posting and coming back to it. Sometime I do both, post the question then search. That way you get old info and fresh info.

Just say'n

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote