Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2018, 12:19 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
Better safe then sorry. Yes. Winds out west can be killers as are the semis passing you doing 80mph. But you won’t need much so don’t over do it.

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:29 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via AIM to jtwind Send a message via MSN to jtwind Send a message via Yahoo to jtwind
Yes, It's too late to find out it's needed when it's needed. Lots of these answers saw things like your vehicles anti sway should or may do the job. That's not much of a assurance. Cheap insurance.
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:24 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
If you have a hitch, should be simple and cheap insurance for peace of mind in high winds. But frankly you probably would be fine without it.

If you don't have a hitch, Andy at CanAm had suggested a great low cost WDH for me where I can use one or two sway bars. Under $200. If youre interested PM me, but have sworn off hitch discussions/threads....

Has done a great job with my 23ft and Land Cruiser combo.
Fred L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:29 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
The tow vehicle's anti-sway feature is designed to help avoid swaying of the tow vehicle under ordinary circumstances (not towing) such as if/when the driver must make a sudden avoidance manuever.
That manuever will create a swaying tendency in the towed trailer. The TV anti-sway is not designed to control a trailer's swaying, but only to assist in dampening the TV reaction. While that may help reduce the swaying trailer...it is not the same as having a trailer equipped with an anti-sway device.

I tow a single-axle trailer and have done it both ways, and do not prefer or like a weight-distributing hitch with this combination. I notice a definite improvement when using a friction-type anti-sway device, and recommend it even tho' I do not recommend a WD hitch with such a light trailer as described.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:45 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNash56 View Post
Brand new to towing and planning a trip out west this summer.

I have an Avalon Suntrail Sport Special. It's a relatively little trailer at 2500lbs and 350 young weight. Overall size of the shell is 15'L x 7' W and it sits 9' tall.

I'm pulling it with a F150 Supercab which has built in sway control.

Advice?
Is it an avalon or an avion?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:45 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Most of the time you won't need it. Some lucky drivers may never need it. Should your luck run out it's too late to think about installing it. Plan ahead. Failing to plan is planning to fail.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:15 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
That would be "Avalon" not "Avion" -- not a vintage kin.
It's a spell check problem. The OP does indeed have an AVION and is also active on the avian.net forum, I pulled a picture of it (hope thats cool).

Hope this clears up any confusion...

Love,
Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2018-02-16 16.08.08.png
Views:	153
Size:	560.5 KB
ID:	304355  
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:42 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Renton , Washington
Response to Do I need sway control?

No truck has “built in sway control “! You may get some strengthening of the frame to minimize side to side movement but that’s it. Regardless, with a single pivot point such as a ball hitch you ALWAYS have the potential for sway. Doesn’t matter what the truck has. It’s the trailer that will sway not the truck. That being said, an Airstream, by design, will have minimal sway anyway, so you be fine. If you want to eliminate sway completely, invest in a Pro Pride hitch. Your Airstream is worth the additional cost.
Dashwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:48 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Check the new models, you will be surpised.the new trucks are amazing!...
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:51 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iansk View Post
Why is that? Because it’s an Avion?
It’s seems completely relevant to ask a question on this forum about an aluminum vintage travel trailer related issue.
Vintage Kin after all.

An unusual question for this forum would be, “how do I install the cams for a 90mm Schneider Angulon on my Linhof Technika IV?”
Very Carefully.
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:52 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari
Saint Augustine , Florida
Sway Control

I once had the dubious pleasure of following a little 22 foot (not Airstream)
trailer down I95. No wind no heavy traffic. Gradually the trailer started to sway in ever increasing oscillations. It got so bad that it pulled the whole rig off the right hand side of the road. Fortunately the unit stayed upright and
there were no hard obstacles. I'm sure Air Steams are a lot more stable but I wouldn't tow mine to the gas station without all sway control mechanisms hooked up.
richb359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:32 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Middleton , Wisconsin
Yes that should read Avion.

Called a local dealer today to inquire about sway control. They are dealers for Equalizer and recommended a 6,000lbs model. About $750. No idea if that's the best brand/model for me but it does indeed seem to be cheap insurance for the trailer and my occupants.
MNash56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:26 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashwa View Post
No truck has “built in sway control “!
. . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:19 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
It's far better to "Be Prepared" for "any old thing", as Lord Baden-Powell put it.
Would that be LtGen Sir Robert Baden-Powell, K.C.B. of "My Adventures As A Spy" fame?
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:51 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The same. He started Scouting...all over the world. My three sons are all Eagle Scouts (USA) and I was a Cub Scout and Boy Scout Adult Leader for many years. The boys and I always consider “Be Prepared” as a matter of course.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:20 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Listen carefully to the words spoken: "...MAY HELP reduce trailer sway..." and the method used is application of the trucks brakes. Anyone familiar with trailer sway knows that application of TV brakes alone can INCREASE sway to a dangerous level....unless trailer brakes are applied either simultaneously or beforehand. The bottom line of the video is to SLOW DOWN.

OK. Sooo.... why is that system so desireable when any intelligent driver can pre-empt the entire event?

I see a common kneejerk response to this question is a recommendation to use a WD hitch. Depending on the hitch, That is not always a solution because not all WD hitches control sway.

A more accurate answer would be to get an anti-sway control. The majority of short, single-axle trailers do not benefit from a WD hitch and in some instances a WDhitch is counter-productive. I cannot think of any situation in which an anti-sway attachment would ever be harmful.

I believe a short, light, single-axle trailer will benefit from a common , inexpensive friction anti-sway bar. The price is often around $45.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:43 PM   #37
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
To the OP,
Take a look at the millions of camper, equipment, utility, dump and box trailers, 95% of which don't have sway control (or WD hitches for that matter) then ask yourself if you need it.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:49 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultradog View Post
To the OP,

Take a look at the millions of camper, equipment, utility, dump and box trailers, 95% of which don't have sway control (or WD hitches for that matter) then ask yourself if you need it.

By that logic - I should take up cigarettes since millions of others smoke.

I may not be as exposed as you are but the vast majority of the hundreds of campers I've seen (admittedly not millions) have some form of WD, SC or both.

Perhaps best to evaluate the one rig that matters most - the one you own - and then decide...
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:12 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
Equalizer hitch

When we bought our 19’ Airstream it came with an Equalizer hitch. We have since traded up to a 25’ Airstream and the Equalizer hitch should still be in the classified ads for sale. If you are ever in the Minneapolis area you can have it for $200. I think it was used only 3 or 4 times by the previous owner (I have a Blue Ox). Send me a private text if interested.

Not in the classified ads anymore. I’m out on the road for two weeks but if memory serves me it was the 2” receiver with the 6,000 pound bars.
BoscoMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:30 AM   #40
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Middleton , Wisconsin
BoscoMN-I’ll check it out. Our son lives in Mpls. If it’s a suitable hitch I’m sure the logistics would be easy to work out.
MNash56 is offline   Reply With Quote