Old 01-29-2008, 06:53 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Originally Posted by Argy 78
Thanks for all the information. As I am new to towing a travel traler, I just want to have as much information as possiable before spending the money for the W/D hitch. As for my boat, it weighs in at @9,500 lbs with a hitch weight of 800+. I haven't had any trouble, other than the tail drop with the HD suspention and as I have disc surge breaks on my boat trailer, I haven't found a W/D hitch that would work with this type of set up.
Now the $10 K question - Which hitch system work best with my situations & what are your thoughts on disc breaks on this trailer?
Thanks again to all of you for providing all of us such important information.
Argy 78

I have a reese dual cam, currently surrounded by HAHA in the malibu rv pardk. Lots of A/S for the first time in long time!! for the oney the dual cam works great, big bucks for the hensley, yet folks swear by them. I would say get some more infor from this site and get one of the 2. I have drum brakes abut again the forum like discs. I have no experience other than this. Today came up the PCH right through LA and stopped every 300 feet! Drums worked great??

safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:56 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
1978 Argosy 27
Fenton , Michigan
What are your feelings on the Reese Dual Cam and the Equalizer sway control and what brand would work best on both my TT, with electric breaks and boat with surge/disc breaks?

Argy 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:31 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
1975 27' Overlander
High River , Alberta
If you want to use a WDH with surge brakes, you probably need bars with chains, not solid links, to allow things to move enough for the surge brake actuator to work. You wouldn't use a friction sway control with a surge brake trailer either.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:54 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
1976 31' Sovereign
Anytown USA , The open road.
Something that hasn't come out yet. We don't know the payload of the TV or the TT. If he is using a 1/2 truck to tow a 9500# boat/trailer with a toung weight of 800#, and he puts another 200# in the bed plus driver and other items...he is over loading the TV in the first place. Your biggest problem I see at this time is the undue stress and wear and tear on your TV. The AS should be an easier pull than your boat. With that said...

I have two TT's. One is an older Coachman that weights in at a light 7500# dry. I have a F-250 HD w/1.5 ton supension. I use the WD with that. It keeps the weight evenly distributed. I only drop 1" without, but the idea is to keep the travel trailer and the tow vehichle level, at a normal ride height. You also want to keep each axle within the individual rating. You can find that in your owners manual.

Now, I like the reese hitch, that is what I have, but the Hensley looks nice, but it also has a nice price tag.

My vote is to have WD on the AS. Can't hurt and might help. Might also make your truck last a little longer.

Genuis has limitations, stupidity has none.
tkendall is offline   Reply With Quote