Old 07-29-2014, 08:14 AM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
^ I would have thought the same thing but I'm no expert. Slight acceleration while simultaneously applying trailer brakes should bring the situation inline quicker than merely applying trailer brakes alone.

cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:08 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
It is my experience that when something like this happens going slower is better than going faster.

The truck accelerating is only going to "tighten the string" a fraction as much as applying the trailer brakes.

The idea is to get the vehicle slowed down. If for one reason or another the efforts to straighten the trailer out fail, slower is better,,,,, and in my experience slowing down really helps with controlling sway.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:13 AM   #59
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
A big question for me when your TT is trying to swing the front of your TV all over the place: in which direction would that acceleration take you?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:21 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
When sway starts (small oscillations) it may take you to the shoulder or in left lane. Important in any case to not put in steering input until oscillations subside dramatically. This IMO, is where another driving skill is needed....to always know what is around you. This was a big reason for my installation of a rear camera. I always make sure I know my escape routes and what may be blocking any one of them.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:22 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
The idea is to get the sway under control before the oscillations get so violent.

By the time that trailer is visible in the drivers window the last thing you want is MORE SPEED.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:27 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
The idea is to get the sway under control before the oscillations get so violent.

By the time that trailer is visible in the drivers window the last thing you want is MORE SPEED.
Very true...that guy in the video was so screwed by the third or fourth wag, that there probably wasn't any way out. Understand, when I said "moderately accelerate" with the trailer brakes applied, I am not talking about increasing speed. I am talking about increasing tension on the "string". More like matching the braking of the trailer.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 07-29-2014, 09:28 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
If the guy in the video had started slowing as soon as the trailer started swaying, would it have ended the same way?

In my estimation, it does not appear to me that he slowed until the trailer was way out of shape. He wasted the time that might have made the difference between a wreck and an "oh shot" moment.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:40 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
If the guy in the video had started slowing as soon as the trailer started swaying, would it have ended the same way?

In my estimation, it does not appear to me that he slowed until the trailer was way out of shape. He wasted the time that might have made the difference between a wreck and an "oh shot" moment.
Don't know...have never been in a sway that was more than one or two small events...just enough for me get the alarm signal in my head....probably no more than a wind gust. That was with my SOB, WD applied and a friction sway bar. But, I agree, reducing wasted time at inception is key.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:44 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Last summer after I completed my first trailer build I immediately hooked up my trailer and started a two thousand mile round trip.....

I learned a few things from the trip, first.... Don't make the rear of the trailer too heavy,,,,, second, sway is closely tied to speed. Third, when trying to get this under control there is only time to do so much, plus, I think having a foot already on the brake pedal is a good thing if things go worse.

It may be that speeding up is the right thing to do , but I drove this whole trip never accelerating out of a sway event. I just wanted to be going slower...

Old 07-29-2014, 09:55 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Last summer after I completed my first trailer build I immediately hooked up my trailer and started a two thousand mile round trip.....

I learned a few things from the trip, first.... Don't make the rear of the trailer too heavy,,,,, second, sway is closely tied to speed. Third, when trying to get this under control there is only time to do so much, plus, I think having a foot already on the brake pedal is a good thing if things go worse.

It may be that speeding up is the right thing to do , but I drove this whole trip never accelerating out of a sway event. I just wanted to be going slower...
We are not in disagreement...and much of it is situational, and instinct comes into play.

The only event I can share, and I don't know how it comes into play with a strict definition of sway went this way:

1972 Venture pop-up, no brakes, heavy by today's standards; 1500# dry ~2000 loaded with bikes and all gear. Friction bar sway control, no WD.

Towed by Astro with 3 channel ABS, no ESC, nor stability control (not invented yet)

I75 in MI, bumper to bumper at 65 mph.

A multi-car pileup ensued less than 100 yards in front of me and I had no choice but to hit the brakes hard (abs activated). The camper pushed HARD and caused an out of line condition. By this time, I am headed to the shoulder, not as an evasive maneuver, but as a "keep it straight" effort, not over steering the situation. I was headed right to a car which was still in motion, but broadside to me, sliding into the grass. I saw my opening in the carnage and punched the accelerator. I straightened out and ran out of the rest of the still in motion wreckage.

Skill? maybe. Luck? maybe. Does it relate to sway reaction, I don't know.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:59 AM   #67
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Tell me why accelerating AND applying the trailer brakes isn't like pulling both ends of the string at the same time. I'm trying to understand this, and there are many slight variations of the same methodology expressed above. Why is it different to not pull from the front while dragging the rear?
it would be the same except forward speed needs to be reduced immediately by the use of the trailer brakes
Old 07-29-2014, 10:01 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydimitt View Post
it would be the same except forward speed needs to be reduced immediately by the use of the trailer brakes
That's pretty much my position, post #62

Old 07-29-2014, 10:04 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
You are right about it being situational... There are very few instances where there is a single right answer.

"improvise, adapt, overcome".

Old 07-29-2014, 10:14 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Yeah, but it would be really nice to have a game for the son's X-box to simulate this with his steering wheel and pedal accessories!