Old 07-23-2014, 03:35 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Laguna Hills , California
I'll be sure to look for the decal Minke...thank for the tip...

Old 07-23-2014, 03:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Is there more to this. An F350 and a 27' Airstream seems like an odd match unless you need an F350 for other hauling chores.

Or do you plan on putting really heavy loads in the bed of the truck while towing the Airstream. If that's the case, you will benefit greatly from a weight distribution hitch with sway control. Research Hensley or ProPride to put any sway concerns to rest.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
You could drive thousands of miles without an issue. Then a condition such as a steep downhill curve in heavy crosswinds, with a semi blowing by just as a huge gust of wind hit the side of Airstream causing it to go into a sway, the extra weight of the heavy duty truck may not make a difference. Why not have the insurance.
I see a lot of trucks pulling trailers here in the Northwest without WD hitches. That also may be true in other parts of the country. The attitude seems to be "We got a big macho truck, we don't need no stinking WD hitch".

A month or so ago, a very windy day, on a twisty part of I 90 on the Idaho/Montana border I saw one result. The trailer, not an Airstream, looked like it had exploded all over the Interstate and Median. The truck was on it's side. There were people around, don't know if anyone was injured, but who needs to destroy a truck and trailer, plus the personal trauma, for the cost of a WD hitch with sway control.

The margin of safety is improved with a WD hitch, properly set up.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:25 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
There's no more to this dkottum...I like diesel pickup trucks plain and simple. Do I need a F350 TD to pull a 27 footer? No...Do I want a F350 TD to pull an Airstream?...you bet I do...You think it's odd but I like the power, comfort and the peace of mind afforded by a tow vehicle that has more than enough oomph to get up and down mountain and desert passes. With regard to the WD hitch...I'll take yours and the others advise and pull with a WD hitch..Thanks for your help...
Old 07-23-2014, 07:22 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Weight distribution and Anti-Sway are two separate issues.

With an F-350 Diesel, and a 27' Airstream, I seriously doubt you need any weight distribution. The Airstream might make your truck's rear go down an inch or two. If that.

Anti-Sway is a separate issue. Yes, you have a big truck pulling a small trailer. But if anything will get you, it would be sway.

Probably the correct answer is a good quality hitch with light rated weight distribution bars. That way, you get the benefits of anti-sway but don't beat the tar out of the trailer's tongue....if that's even possible with an F-350 without using one of those airbag hitches.

What year 27 footer are you looking for? For an older one, you'd probably want very light spring bars (if you're using a Reese or Equal-I-Zer), like the 600lb bars. If a newer one, they are heavier on the tongue.

But don't listen to me....I'm pulling a 34 foot Avion with a 1200lb tongue weight using an Equal-I-Zer with 1400lb bars behind a 2500 CTD Ram. I'm one of them other brands

Really though, you've got PLENTY of truck to pull that little twinkie! I've only pulled about 20,000 or 30,000 miles, but my opinion is that anti-sway is always a wonderful thing, no matter if you need weight distribution or not.

Truly, get you a Henseley or a Propride with the right spring bars and you'll be good.

See ya on the road,
Old 07-23-2014, 09:09 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Smile

Well said, Andy! Sometimes I have to wonder why anyone would ever consider
towing without some sort of sway control, regardless of what kind of tow vehicle they
have.
For whatever it's worth
Larry

Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Towing a travel trailer, among other things, involves safety.

Towing a travel trailer, with just a ball, or just a sway control, is very unsafe.

Statistics say that you will lose control of that type of rigging.

It's just a matter of when and where!!

Hurting someone, or even worse, should you lose control, dictates that you carry a liability policy for at least one millions dollars, or more.

Be safe, not sorry.

Andy

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Listen to Andy.
We use an EQ wdh with our 2500 diesel...
Old 07-24-2014, 03:48 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
Roy , Utah
Send a message via AIM to MYater Send a message via Yahoo to MYater Send a message via Skype™ to MYater
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptightto View Post
I've got a new F350 Turbo Diesel on order and we're looking for a used 27' Airstream. Some I've spoken to say I don't need a WD hitch....What say the pros?
Huge question that hasn't been answered, "What year is this used Airstream?"

This is why it matters. The vintage Airstreams had so very little tongue weight that a weight distributing hitch will do absolutely nothing when used. Period! The old trailers just had no weight to distribute too your front axle via the WD hitch.

An anti sway bar on the other hand when used with one of these light trailers is like adding a shock absorber at your hitch and it is absolutely a wonderful item to use on anything other than going around the block.

A new Airstream however with several hundred pounds on the tongue, or more, should use a WD hitch in conjunction with an anti sway device for the most security on the road.

I've towed 35' trailers with and without the anti sway using a WD hitch and you can absolutely feel the difference.

I think drastic weight change was in the mid sixties, but somebody else would have a better take on that then me, mine is only 40 pounds or so with a '48.

1948 Airstream Liner 22'
MYater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:07 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
I seriously wonder if you've got enough truck to pull the 27' Airstream....it might be a thought to change the order to a 450, or maybe even the 550. You would definitely want WD with any of them..

For whatever it's worth.

Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptightto View Post
I've got a new F350 Turbo Diesel on order and we're looking for a used 27' Airstream. Some I've spoken to say I don't need a WD hitch....What say the pros?

Thanks

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:03 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
I would go with the 550 and put the AS on a commercial car hauler trailer. No need then to worry about hitches or tires for the AS. Of course one would need a Hensley for the truck with additional sway control, you know, just in case. Truthfully, all you need is good sway control. Jim
Old 07-24-2014, 01:29 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
We're interested in a 27'-30' early 2000's - 2007 depending on price. I'm aware a 350 or EQ Dodge or Chevy can send shock waves through a trailer so the Airsafe hitch Larry C uses will be a strong consideration.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I honestly believe a 250 would give you all the "headroom" you would ever need. Airstreams are 1/2 ton towable, but right at the verge of its limits.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:30 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Frankly I have never seen the need for weight distribution when towing my 72 Sovereign with my 1/2 ton Chevy.

The tongue just isn't that heavy, even with my mods.

I would like a ProPride or Hensley at some point so I can tow at 75 MPH even in the wind.....

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:52 PM   #28
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Frankly I have never seen the need for weight distribution when towing my 72 Sovereign with my 1/2 ton Chevy.

The tongue just isn't that heavy, even with my mods.

I would like a ProPride or Hensley at some point so I can tow at 75 MPH even in the wind.....

Your aiming to be a statistic, per history.

When and where is the only question.

Andy