Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2010, 07:51 PM   #61
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
THANK YOU all. I have a 2008 Silverado with a class 4 hitch receiver - and an insert to take it back down to 2 inches for my class 3 Dual Cam. Went out and checked for SLOP... yes I surely do have some. Now, can I get a Pro-pride or Hensley with a 2.5 inch shaft?

Paula
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream01 View Post
That would be the best way to do it. Sean needs to start making these if he doesn't already. I wouldn't expect it would be that difficult. Though a solid 2.5" shank w/ stinger would weigh a ton, heck the solid 2" shank and stinger nearly throws my back out.

Due to this thread... we have 2.5" square hitch bars now. The first couple shipped this week.

Thanks everyone.

-
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:04 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
THANK YOU all. I have a 2008 Silverado with a class 4 hitch receiver - and an insert to take it back down to 2 inches for my class 3 Dual Cam. Went out and checked for SLOP... yes I surely do have some. Now, can I get a Pro-pride or Hensley with a 2.5 inch shaft?Paula
Paula, I would contact both companies and you will find they make the part you need. When I talked with Hensley about my hitch that was the first thing they asked was my reciever a 1,2, or 2 1/2.

Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:06 AM   #63
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE/AF View Post
Paula, I would contact both companies and you will find they make the part you need. When I talked with Hensley about my hitch that was the first thing they asked was my reciever a 1,2, or 2 1/2.

Sarge

I don't think this is correct, Sarge. The Arrow hitch bar is 2x2. Based on years of experience with the "power" that is... I highly doubt that it has changed and a 2.5x2.5 is available. Someone may want to confirm it.
Tu ne cede malis
Old 06-10-2010, 10:49 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Sent email today to company to find out.

Sarge
Old 06-10-2010, 11:01 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
I don't think this is correct, Sarge. The Arrow hitch bar is 2x2. Based on years of experience with the "power" that is... I highly doubt that it has changed and a 2.5x2.5 is available. Someone may want to confirm it.
So Mr Woodruff you are saying that you was listening in on the conversation between me and Hensley hitch and that I am telling a lie?
For a person who owns a company it is not a good idea for you to telling someone they are telling a lie, especially since you dont know me and I can get several people both regular and prominant to vouch for my honesty!
YES I WAS ASKED THAT QUESTION!!! in the start of the conversation..
whether you want to believe it or not.

Whether Hensley makes one or not I do not know, I did say to contact the company, I did believe that they make one because of being asked, I have the 2X2 so the conversation never went any further.
You have lost a perspective customer, I will not nor will I endorse your product to anyone.

Sarge
Old 06-10-2010, 11:23 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Just recieved the email from Ron @ Hensley and they do not make the 2.5.
So this question has been answered, I took it because I was asked that they do make it but that was an assumption that I made and should not have, easy for one to do.
Now for all you commedians, go ahead with the tease me on the word assumption.

Sarge
Old 06-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #67
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Quote:
So Mr Woodruff you are saying that you was listening in on the conversation between me and Hensley hitch and that I am telling a lie?
No, that is not what I am saying, please read what I wrote above.

Quote:
For a person who owns a company it is not a good idea for you to telling someone they are telling a lie, especially since you dont know me and I can get several people both regular and prominant to vouch for my honesty!
I completely agree with you and that's why I would never say or post that someone is telling a lie unless I know them, through one-on-one experience, and know they are a liar. I WOULD say something like that about many people at my former company.

Quote:
YES I WAS ASKED THAT QUESTION!!! in the start of the conversation..
whether you want to believe it or not.
I didn't comment on the question. It is irrelevant to the information from my viewpoint.

Quote:
Whether Hensley makes one or not I do not know, I did say to contact the company, I did believe that they make one because of being asked, I have the 2X2 so the conversation never went any further.
You have lost a perspective customer, I will not nor will I endorse your product to anyone.

Sarge
I thought you said to "contact BOTH companies and you will find out that they make the part you need."

As for the prospective customer, or product endorsement, I'm sorry you feel that way because knowing the difference it makes and not endorsing it would not be all that honest.

-
Tu ne cede malis
Old 06-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #68
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Communication by forum is tough - it's sometimes so easy to inadvertently offend someone, or to take offense where none is intended.

But we're all friends here, right? And trying to help each other out whenever we can.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Due to this thread... we have 2.5" square hitch bars now. The first couple shipped this week.

Thanks everyone.

-
Nice.

Did the geometry (other than the 2.5" width, obviously) change elsewhere?
Old 06-11-2010, 09:23 PM   #70
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
Nice.

Did the geometry (other than the 2.5" width, obviously) change elsewhere?

No, the 2.5x2.5 is only the receiver end of the bar. The end of the bar that has the plates welded to it is machined down to 2" in width so that the adjustable part of the bar still fits like it does with the standard bar.
Tu ne cede malis
Old 06-11-2010, 09:33 PM   #71
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Just recieved the email from Ron @ Hensley and they do not make the 2.5.
So this question has been answered, I took it because I was asked that they do make it but that was an assumption that I made and should not have, easy for one to do.
Now for all you commedians, go ahead with the tease me on the word assumption.

Sarge

I thought that was probably the case. It's really more on them than you. It makes no sense for them to ask that question unless it was just to be able to tell you they don't have a 2.5" bar if you responded that you DID have the 2.5" receiver. It would be like me asking if you preferred orange or black. I'm CLEARLY not making any orange hitches so why ask the question making one assume that I do make orange hitches when I have no intention of EVER doing it? (that is, unless customers start asking for orange. )
Tu ne cede malis
Old 06-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
. . . U p d a t e . . .

Here's the alignment print out from the shop in Buffalo, I had done at the beginning of my woes... for any rack wonks out there

Here's where I'm at:

Our last outing, back on the freeway, I found the same 'twitch and wander' at highway speeds, just not as pronounced.

Took it in to my local Chevy dealership.
They said the front end was fine.
They said airing the front to 80psi was not helping (specs recommend 50 front/80 rear)

(But, they're not going to let money walk out the door)

They found blown seals on rear axle, bad rear brake rotors, bad hubs.. on one side, 1/2" of play, 1/4" on the other. (Also found, unrelated to thread topic, bad 4WD sensor, switch, and actuator... this would explain why earlier that week, I buried the drive axle in soft sand when it was supposed to be in 4LO)

Rotated tires, aired the fronts to 50psi
Rides much better (but lost 1/2 a mpg- lol)

Hoping to escape on the 4th, so we'll see how she tows...

But, from the feel of things so far... I'd say Airstream01 takes down the pot
Old 07-04-2010, 04:13 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Getaway didn't pan out this weekend

So I did the next best thing: maintenance.

Found some pretty good 'wallowing' out on the strut posts, and brackets

Occured only on the 'inside' (facing 'A' frame) surface, of both assemblies

I removed the pair of bolts holding the brackets to torsion bar, rotating them and posts, until I decide whether to order new parts, or replace the whole darn hitch with a Pro-Pride.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:00 PM   #74
_

. , .
Quote:
...until I decide whether to order new parts...
hi fc'

the stretch/deforming of the U brackets holes on the w/d bar ends...

is common.

several pix of that in my old hitch thread from >1 poster.

those U brackets can also crack at the 90d bend, yours look UNcracked.

the holes on the jack extensions can also do this and that MAY be one of the reasons NOT to use the last hole.

those parts SHOULD be replaceable under warranty.

my guess is the home office will ask for PICTURES

then claim the stretching is normal and the parts are FINE...

Quote:
...or replace the whole darn hitch with a Pro-Pride.
looking back at your thread "title" this is EXACTLY how i solved the performance issue.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:35 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
I'm at a loss here.

I serviced the Hensley. Everything is greased and torqued. Yeah, there's some wear on the brackets, but that cannot be what is causing my sway. Truck tires are 80 rear, 55 front, trailers are 65. Tongue weight and CAT scale readings are optimal.

Took a five hour trip north.

It was like I was using the Reese/friction anti-sway bar, set-up. That is to say: WHITE KNUCKLED. It was BAD.

Trucks been serviced.

The only change in the equation is the tires.

Is it possible "E" load Michelin tires can introduce this much sway??

Argh.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:28 AM   #76
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Can you swap tires/ rims with someone and check the tow performance again?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:40 AM   #77
_

. , .
Quote:
... Truck tires are 80 rear, 55 front, trailers are 65. Tongue weight and CAT scale readings are optimal...
without reading the numbers this may be way OFF...

but 55 psi at the front after w/d for a 30 SLIDE seems low.

with 1200 or 1400 or MORE on the A frame...

and knowing from some of your previous payload reports...

they u and the family tend to travel AT or slightly over the payload and gvwr...

it would seem the fronts need 70 psi +/- ??

i realize the dealer said "air doesn't help" in those front tires,

but they are only E rated when properly INFLATED (poetry to help remember this)

and doesn't the alignment change a TINY bit on these burbs when MAXIMALLY loaded?

does the recent alignment ACCOUNT for FULLY LOADED?

i know u r thinking 'bout the next hitch apparatus, but the mule may need to be swapped first...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:27 PM   #78
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
I'm at a loss here.

I serviced the Hensley. Everything is greased and torqued. Yeah, there's some wear on the brackets, but that cannot be what is causing my sway. Truck tires are 80 rear, 55 front, trailers are 65. Tongue weight and CAT scale readings are optimal.

Took a five hour trip north.

It was like I was using the Reese/friction anti-sway bar, set-up. That is to say: WHITE KNUCKLED. It was BAD.

Trucks been serviced.

The only change in the equation is the tires.

Is it possible "E" load Michelin tires can introduce this much sway??

Argh.
With close to the same setup and exact same tires, I am using 75 in rear and 65-70 front.

I wonder how many miles are on your tires now. Mine are about at 10,000 and I still notice a little wander compared to the OEM Goodyears that came on the truck. However it is nothing like they were for the first few thousand. As I mentioned before, I never tried to tow the trailer when they were acting like that, because I put them on in the fall. I do know the truck handles better with more pressure in the front . Maybe you ought to try 80 on all four. I don't see how that could hurt anything.

Good luck,

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:35 AM   #79
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
I'm at a loss here. I serviced the Hensley. Everything is greased and torqued. Yeah, there's some wear on the brackets, but that cannot be what is causing my sway. Truck tires are 80 rear, 55 front, trailers are 65. Tongue weight and CAT scale readings are optimal. Took a five hour trip north. It was like I was using the Reese/friction anti-sway bar, set-up. That is to say: WHITE KNUCKLED. It was BAD. Trucks been serviced. The only change in the equation is the tires. Is it possible "E" load Michelin tires can introduce this much sway?? Argh.
I would like to ask you a few questions before you run out and buy tires and rims.
1) when you are driving does the hitch seem to move side to side or is your side to side seem to be more than normal?
2) when you turn do you notice that the hitch seems to jump from one side to the other?
3) in a curve and you apply breaks do you seem to get a sudden side push?

If you could please answer these questions, the answers may tell me if you had the same problem I had and if so I have the answer to your problem.

Sarge
Old 07-12-2010, 10:00 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
‘Air,
80 in the front, is how I’ve been rolling for the past 40k miles. The last 5k miles, I’m getting a ‘wander’ in the steering. I've had three different shops look at it.
FREY TRUCK aligned it, and says: "toe was out, everything else AOK."
Les Stanford Chevy airs front down to 55, and says: "front end suspension and steering AOK."
Fuoad (my local mechanic), says front end is: “جيدة “, which is to say “fine”.
With the fronts at 55, it doesn’t wander.
Haven’t discussed “fully loaded” alignment… How do they manage that?

Ken,
I was rolling with 80 at all corners, when this whole ordeal started…
First, I thought it was air. Verified 80 on tow, 65 on trailer. Still getting nasty sway.
Then, I thought it was hitch. Found ‘slop’. Corrected that. Still getting nasty sway.
Then, Les Stanford repaired bad hubs on drive axle (excessive play). Thought that would solve it. Nope. Still nasty sway. This weekend, I was passing a semi, on a down grade, heading north on I-75. Was cruising at 65mph, got in left lane, as I was passing I was creeping up to 70mph- started getting squirrelly… when I hit about 72mph, the trailer was all over the place! It actually pushed the ‘burb onto the shoulder. I’m sure it looked as bad as it felt, because the semi, backed waaay off.
W T F
Did 65mph, on the nose, all the way home. Getting nasty ‘push’ and sway the whole way.
If this is the performance I got out of the box, with the Hensley, I would have been returning it in a NY minute. This performance is WORSE than my old Reese/sway bar.
What’s killing me is, I had ROCK SOLID operation since installing the Arrow in April 2008. It only turned sour since heading out in March of 2010 (roughly 12k miles of outstanding performance).

Sarge,
The first thing I noticed, when this sway began, was the ‘head’ was not pivoting like it used to. I mentioned this earlier in the thread. Watching it on my ‘burb back up camera, it used to pivot back and forth, constantly. Now, it is MUCH less… pretty much settles to one side.
‘Jumping’ when in a turn, only happens if I’m ‘slaloming’ (I’ve only made that maneuver at parking lot speed). I’ve noticed that phenom since it was new, and operating correctly.
A ‘push’ in a turn, only happened before I got my brakes properly tuned. I discovered the dealer hadn’t bled the brake system during their new unit ‘prep’. After bleeding myself, and tuning the P3 gain/boost, I don’t get that.

Thanks all.