Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2014, 08:47 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Different type of lubricant to try on hitch

From another forum I got information on a dry, wax type lubricant designed for doors that I'm going to try on my hitch ball, and other parts that need lubed, like the front of the Reese trunion bars. People that have been using it say it works well, and is not greasy. Called Door-Ease available at Ace Hardware store, and probably others.

Has anyone here tried this, and if so, what did you think of it?

http://www.agscompany.com/lubricants/homehardware/185
Old 06-12-2014, 09:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Door Ease has been around for at least 60 years, I used it as a kid. It is kind of like a chap stick and as I recall, was less messy than grease but still does attract dirt and can be a bit messy eventually. It is more like a wax than a grease.

I have never tried it on anything RV related but I may get a tube and see how it works. It might be interesting on the chains of my Andersen hitch where they go into the tubes. I use a little white grease spray lube now.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:34 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Former Texaco Lubricant Engineer

The above Door-Ease® Stick Lubricant is NOT acceptable for use on hitch balls, weight distribution bars (Hensley, ProPride) or any other applications where extreme pressure (EP) is encountered.

Greases are ONLY USED where oils cannot be held in place.

Greases are formulated using a “soap thickener” which holds the lubricating oil and additives like a sponge holds water. The soap thickeners have no lubrication function but do determine the “dropping point” of the grease which is that temperature at which the grease will slump and flow away from the application. The dropping point scale is #0, #1, #2, etc.

The oils can be either of a low (thin) viscosity (resistance to flow) or high (heavy) viscosity. Low viscosity oils are used in high speed spindle operations. Most automotive chassis lubricates use high viscosity oils and are of a #2 dropping point.

Additionally, the heavy oils in automotive greases are formulated with EP additives of sulfur and phosphorus which react with metal contact surfaces to form a relatively soft molecular surface which shears away when the oil has been pressed out, thus keeping the metal surfaces from contacting with resulting microscopic “spot welding” which deteriorates the surfaces, i.e. wear.

Also, some greases have “moly” (molybdenum disulfide) as an additive (kind of like graphite). The “moly” colors the grease black. “Moly” fills the asperities of the metal surfaces such that when the oil/EP additives are pressed out the “moly” shears like a deck of cards thus providing some lubrication.

You must use a grease that is specific to an application, otherwise bad things happen.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:09 PM   #4
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Withidl I was going ask something similar. If what you have works and is recommended for hitch use why would one 'experiment' with something else? If it works, great. If not maybe end up throwing away the hitch and it's parts.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:11 PM   #5
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Withidl.

We should pay attention, he's retired from a lubrication engineering position. See profile.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:10 PM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
NLGI-2

Easy to find, easy to use.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:36 PM   #7
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Huh? High speed grease on a hitch? NLGI-2 definition from AMSOIL Reduces friction and wear in high-speed, high-temperature components like wheel bearings and electric motors. Keeps components running clean and trouble free for outstanding performance and long life. NLGI #2 is the primary wheel bearing recommendation.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by withidl View Post
The above Door-Ease® Stick Lubricant is NOT acceptable for use on hitch balls, weight distribution bars (Hensley, ProPride) or any other applications where extreme pressure (EP) is encountered.

Greases are ONLY USED where oils cannot be held in place.

Greases are formulated using a “soap thickener” which holds the lubricating oil and additives like a sponge holds water. The soap thickeners have no lubrication function but do determine the “dropping point” of the grease which is that temperature at which the grease will slump and flow away from the application. The dropping point scale is #0, #1, #2, etc.

The oils can be either of a low (thin) viscosity (resistance to flow) or high (heavy) viscosity. Low viscosity oils are used in high speed spindle operations. Most automotive chassis lubricates use high viscosity oils and are of a #2 dropping point.

Additionally, the heavy oils in automotive greases are formulated with EP additives of sulfur and phosphorus which react with metal contact surfaces to form a relatively soft molecular surface which shears away when the oil has been pressed out, thus keeping the metal surfaces from contacting with resulting microscopic “spot welding” which deteriorates the surfaces, i.e. wear.

Also, some greases have “moly” (molybdenum disulfide) as an additive (kind of like graphite). The “moly” colors the grease black. “Moly” fills the asperities of the metal surfaces such that when the oil/EP additives are pressed out the “moly” shears like a deck of cards thus providing some lubrication.

You must use a grease that is specific to an application, otherwise bad things happen.
OK, now that you've told me more than I will ever remember about greases, do you have a recommendation for a grease to use on the hitch ball, and Reese trunion bars at the hitch head, that is not so messy?
Old 06-13-2014, 02:56 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
OK, now that you've told me more than I will ever remember about greases, do you have a recommendation for a grease to use on the hitch ball, and Reese trunion bars at the hitch head, that is not so messy?
Grease is messy, you'll just have to get used to it. As I stated above, just use any name brand #2 grade EP chassis grease, preferably containing "moly" for best lubrication. The higher dropping point greases (#3, #4, #5 & #6) are special industrial greases which are harder to source, so just use the #2 which is readily available at any auto parts store.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:51 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
SW , Missouri
This is what I use on my old style Reese dual cam. I spray a light coat on the hitch ball, cams, arms, and trunnion heads prior to towing. It eliminates the popping and creaking and includes a rust inhibitor.

I use an applicator straw to direct it only on the surfaces that need it to virtually eliminate the mess.
Kyle401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:34 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
If anyone is interested, I found some assembly lube at the auto parts store that is seeming to work really well, is easy to use, and not too messy, although a good clean up of the hitch is needed after a few days of use. Been using it for several months now, and several thousand towing miles with what looks like no wear on the hitch or ball. It comes in a plastic bottle with a twist opening applicator, and contains "moly". Manufacturer is Lucas Oil Products.

http://www.autozone.com/miscellaneou...0/?kpid=692400
Old 11-17-2014, 12:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Huh? High speed grease on a hitch? NLGI-2 definition from AMSOIL Reduces friction and wear in high-speed, high-temperature components like wheel bearings and electric motors. Keeps components running clean and trouble free for outstanding performance and long life. NLGI #2 is the primary wheel bearing recommendation.
I think NLGI #2 is good to 3000 rpm and NLGI #1 is good up to 6000 rpm in a bearing.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Yamalube?

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:12 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Oh HITCH balls. Boy, am I on the wrong thread.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote