Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2019, 11:06 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Bend , Oregon
"Default" '06 Tundraw towing 22' Bambi -- newbie

Hi everyone -

Long story short: I am flying a couple thousand miles to pick up both a (lightly) used 2019 22' Bambi Sport. I'm also buying a 2007 Toyota Tundra (Crewmax 4x4). Yes its a bit crazy but its also working out really well and not resulting in a bunch of wasted time/money on the trip out. Anyway!

The truck just has a 2" ball on a stock receiver setup. The trailer does not have any kind weight distribution or anti-sway bar.

I'm hoping to pick up the truck, drive across town, hook up the trailer, and get on the road. The sellers of the Bambi are very confident that I'll be good to go, but I want to check in with you all.

There is a lot of stuff out there on YouTube....too much. Wondering if anyone has any videos they'd recommend, especially ones that point out what is NOT desirable (in terms of weight distribution, height of the hitch, etc.).

I'm considering bringing an adjustable hitch, sorta like this, (Reese 7031300 Class III Adjustable Weight Carrying Ball Mount) with me, so that at least I have the ability to adjust the 'level' of the trailer.

I think that in a perfect world I'd buy a weight distributing hitch with integrated sway control, but time and money limitations make that scenario less likely right now. That being said, I don't want to be irresponsible just because I don't want to open up my wallet.

Alright, thank you for any and all advice. I won't be offended if you just link to a sticky/old thread that answers these questions.
doughpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
From 1969 and up, all the Airstream trailers are equipped with a 2 5/16 inch ball. You cannot tow with a 2" ball, the trailer will come off.

I think the 22' has 2 axles, which would make it more stable and probably eliminate sway. I know some tow without weight distribution. You should find out your Tundra's maximum hitch weight. I'm assuming it has the 5.7L engine. If so, you are OK for maximum towing weight.

You should be able to download the owners manual from the Airstream site. That will give you the recommended hitch height.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:31 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Bend , Oregon
It is a single axle (Bambi). Since it is a relatively large load for a single axle, it makes me a bit nervous.....I'd rather be on the "other" extreme!

The Tundra is the 5.7 L. Tow capacity is 10,300 lb. The trailer's GVWR is 4500 lb, with a base weight of 3634. The tongue weight should be about 400-600 lbs, if I understand correctly (using 4000 lbs total 'loaded' weight of the trailer +contents).

It has an aftermarket brake controller installed.

I'm shopping etrailer.com and thinking that something like this might be wise: https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...e/RP66073.html
Old 08-27-2019, 09:43 AM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Respectfully, the 22 Sport is a single axle trailer, so no improvement in stability there. There have been two reports of folks wrecking their 22s, so they need sway control.

Short term solution = drive slow. That's not 65-70 instead of 80. It's 55 mph.

The Tundra should work well. They are reliable and a good tow vehicle. They do seem to be a bit thirsty, but with the 22, that should be less off an issue.

There are options, but you have to understand what is required to make your choice safe and effective. Get a WD/SC hitch when you can. Good Luck with your new shiny. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughpat View Post
It is a single axle (Bambi). Since it is a relatively large load for a single axle, it makes me a bit nervous.....I'd rather be on the "other" extreme!

The Tundra is the 5.7 L. Tow capacity is 10,300 lb. The trailer's GVWR is 4500 lb, with a base weight of 3634. The tongue weight should be about 400-600 lbs, if I understand correctly (using 4000 lbs total 'loaded' weight of the trailer +contents).

I'm shopping etrailer.com and thinking that something like this might be wise: https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...e/RP66073.html
The Straight Line hitch is excellent, it's what we use to tow a slightly heavier trailer than the Sport 22 (Flying Cloud 20) with a smaller tow vehicle than your Tundra (Toyota Tacoma), and it keeps everything very stable including up and down hills.

If you buy it, download the manual and get familiar with assembly and setting it up. Plan to spend the better part of a day or putting it all together and adjusting it. That would include a trip to the CAT scales at best, or measuring the front wheel well at least, to dial in the right amount of weight distribution. If this does not make sense now it will when you read the hitch manual.

BTW, the original adjustable hitch you linked to has a 500 lb. tongue weight limit. Another Sport 22 owner might know better, but I'm pretty sure you will be over that.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
the sport 22 as fb bambi is
< 500 lb tongue
and < 5000 weigh

i highly recommend both SC & WD
600lb bars for WD are fine
a single SC is fine
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughpat View Post

I know Airstream had some 22' double axles in the past, notably 2003 and 2006, from what I can find on Google. I see the 2019 models are single axle. For tongue weight I was referring to the Tundra's tongue weight capacity but if the Bambi is 600 lbs. then you should be fine. My 4Runner's capacity is 700 lbs., your Tundra would be considerably higher, I would think. You can Google the specs on your Tundra to find out. Toyota used to have the press room available, where you could look up your vehicle and find a lot of towing detail. I can't find that link now, maybe they removed it.

With a single axle trailer, even with the Tundra, I would feel more comfortable with a WD hitch for sway control. It will also level out the TV and AS so your headlights aren't blinding oncoming traffic. Without the WD hitch I would say stay at 60 or below on your way home. Some people have posted about the Reese hitch but I think the overall preferred hitch is the Equalizer. There are multiple brands and you can research them in this forum.

Aftermarket brake controller is what I use, Tekonsha Prodigy P2. My 4Runner was pre-wired for it, easy install.
Update:

I have the full specs for the 2015 Tundra. Maybe that will help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2015_Toyota_Tundra_Product_Information.pdf (104.0 KB, 17 views)
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:41 AM   #8
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
I pull a single axle (1970) 23 ft with a 2010 Tundra and a WD hitch .... barely even know the trailer is there. I alway use about 65mph as my maximum speed pulling the trailer. Partially because if I blew a tire I only have the 1 on each side. Even at that speed things can get ugly fast if something happens!
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:42 AM   #9
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
My 2010 Tundra was pre wired for a brake controller.
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:14 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rucos View Post
I pull a single axle (1970) 23 ft with a 2010 Tundra and a WD hitch .... barely even know the trailer is there. I alway use about 65mph as my maximum speed pulling the trailer. Partially because if I blew a tire I only have the 1 on each side. Even at that speed things can get ugly fast if something happens!
What WD hitch did you go with?
Old 08-28-2019, 04:10 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
You might also consider the Reese SteadiFlex WD antisway hitch.
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...e/RP66559.html
Martee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:17 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martee View Post
You might also consider the Reese SteadiFlex WD antisway hitch.
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...e/RP66559.html

Ended up getting the 10k equalizer hitch and it worked great....