Old 08-05-2017, 11:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Brisbane , Queensland
Cool Dealer recommends Equalizer as a more 'user friendly' than ProPride?

We are planning to tow a 25' AS with the new Ford Expedition. In order to do this safely, Ford requires a properly designed and installed weight distribution hitch.

We asked our AS dealer to help us by installing and adjusting a ProPride WD hitch to fit this Ford requirement.

The AS dealer told us that they only install the Equalizer hitch. This AS dealer is well respected by both of us, and this Forum. We would like to follow their recommendation of the Equalizer WD hitch. However, we feel that the PP is also highly respected for its quality and performance, if not its expense, on this Forum.

We feel that, with the money we are investing in our brand-new AS and Expedition Max Platinum, the extra expense of the ProPride WD hitch is a deserved quality towing addition to our 'See the USA' touring package.

What should we do? Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
The PP has a learning curve, all of which is explained on various posts here. After that, it is very user friendly and, in my opinion, the safest design of any hitch. At least that was my decision and I am sticking with it.
Larry

Old 08-06-2017, 04:41 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Brisbane , Queensland
Cool Is it safe to tow an unloaded a 25' AS to the PP dealer w/o a WD hitch?

Larry,

Sounds good to us! Where can we get one? Is it safe to tow an unloaded 25' AS with our new Expedition to the PP dealer without a WD hitch?

Sue & Dan
Old 08-06-2017, 05:13 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I agree with Larry. Once you've conquered the learning curve it's a great Hitch. We love ours. Dealers install what they know. I believe many shy away from the ProPride because of the cost. I bought mine directly from ProPride on their website. Sean, the owner, is extremely helpful and easy to do business with. Email or call him and I bet he can direct you to a place to have installed.
Also, search YouTube for ProPride. There is a guy with a seven part series on using the hitch. Shortened my learning curve to just a few minutes. Both of you should watch them. Makes it much easier when The whole team understands how it works.
You won't regret purchasing a ProPride.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:19 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Carlisle , Massachusetts
When the 2018 Expedition is released they will publish a towing guide at https://www.ford.com/towingguides/

Most of the Ford hitches won't take a lot of dead weight, the F150 is only rated for 500 lbs, the current (outgoing) Expedition is rated for 600. There is word that they were going to up the strength of the hitch for 2018 but none of the specs are available. Given these are unreleased vehicles there is no real way to answer the question but it's highly likely you will need a WD hitch. Plus most WD hitches give you sway control.

The $550 Equalizer should be just fine, a $2500 PP / Hensley is totally overkill for a 25' towed behind such a massive vehicle IMO. Plus a PP or HA are *very* heavy, expensive, and complicated. I'd recommend you tow with the Equalizer and upgrade after driving it for a year if you feel you really need to at that point.

-m
Old 08-06-2017, 05:41 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Saint Augustine , Florida
dealer stubborness

I just went through that exact scenario. I recently purchased a 2015 Classic, 30. When we got through the initial discussion on price, etc, I said, I'm going to need you to install my hitch. They responded that they would NOT install any hitch they do not sell. I had already made up my mind that I want a Pro Pride and of course, you buy them FROM Propride. I said, how do I take a coach out of your yard w/o a hitch attached ? They: but a cheap one here and bring it where you want. that wasn't going to work. Long story short, they finally acquiesced and installed the Propride ( and did a nice job), but not w/o my threatening to nix the deal.

It does have a learning curve ( I'm still somewhere on that curve, but getting better.) It's a hell of a hitch. The 30' classic is about 7800 # empty and can be up to 10K, full. I tow with an F 250, 6.7 Diesel. Firstly, the truck/coach combo is solidly one unit, the truck not knowing the coach is there. There is NO sway at 70 mph while being passed by semi's doing easily 80 or more; not even a hint. Now, I've only towed 4 short trips (each under 5 hours), but all were on the interstates. I have not experienced any high crosswinds yet either, but I firmly believe that if the hitch is this stable at 70-75 mph and I get hit with some higher than average winds, maybe I'll have to slow down a bit ( I typically drive at 65), but I doubt there'll be any issues.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
DaytonaDan - my free advice (worth everything you paid for it) get the ProPride.

Are you buying in Australia or in the US? Your profile says the former but you mention a see the USA tour...either way the physics work the same in both countries

Lots of threads here and videos on YouTube to speed the learning curve. The end result is as close to peace of mind you can get for towing.

Good luck!
Old 08-06-2017, 06:01 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Macon , Georgia
or go with a Hensley Arrow.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:08 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Brisbane , Queensland
Cool Here's another question.

Here's another question.

Would it be smart or really stupid to load the trailer's batteries and the EMPTY LP cylinders into the Expey to lower the trailer's hitch weight?

Don't know how much this would lower the hitch weight, but it should help.

The Unit Base Weight (with LP & Batteries) of a 25' Signature is 5,600. The trailer towing weight limit for the 2017 Expedition EL with a standard hitch is 6,000. And, the AS' Hitch Weight (with LP & Batteries) is 835.

Thoughts?
Old 08-06-2017, 06:58 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattskav View Post
The Ford hitches won't take a lot of dead weight, the F150 is only rated for 500 lbs, ...
I'm not sure this is correct. My factory-installed hitch, on a 2013 F-150, is rated for a dead weight of 1,200 lbs.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:15 AM   #11
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattskav View Post
When the 2018 Expedition is released they will publish a towing guide at https://www.ford.com/towingguides/

Most of the Ford hitches won't take a lot of dead weight, the F150 is only rated for 500 lbs, the current (outgoing) Expedition is rated for 600.
-m
I'm not sure where you came up with that figure. According to the info you linked to, it's more like 1200 pounds tongue weight.

HITCH RECEIVER:
F-150 12,200, 1,220

Old 08-06-2017, 07:46 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'd point out that the folks who praise the PP and add, "We don't have any sway" don't actually know if they would have HAD sway with a Equal-I-zer, Blue Ox, or naked ball. They just assume their $2500 hitch cured the problem.
I'd be more impressed if someone took the same trailer, same tow vehicle and noticed a significant difference in hitches.

I look on the highway, large boat trailers never have WD hitches. RV trailers, for the most part, have a WD with round bars. I've never seen a PP on the highway. Trailers aren't crashing all the time either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck and Boat #1.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	291447  
Old 08-06-2017, 07:52 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
It's a matter of choice. If I am buying and want X and the dealer says to buy Y then I would find another dealer.

One other thing. Measure the hitch weight, don't go by what the trailer mfr claims.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:13 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Naperville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonaDan View Post
We are planning to tow a 25' AS with the new Ford Expedition. In order to do this safely, Ford requires a properly designed and installed weight distribution hitch.

We asked our AS dealer to help us by installing and adjusting a ProPride WD hitch to fit this Ford requirement.

The AS dealer told us that they only install the Equalizer hitch. This AS dealer is well respected by both of us, and this Forum. We would like to follow their recommendation of the Equalizer WD hitch. However, we feel that the PP is also highly respected for its quality and performance, if not its expense, on this Forum.

We feel that, with the money we are investing in our brand-new AS and Expedition Max Platinum, the extra expense of the ProPride WD hitch is a deserved quality towing addition to our 'See the USA' touring package.

What should we do? Inquiring minds want to know.

Before we purchased our Airstream, we had a Big White Box (30 ft Arctic Fox) for 10 years, pulled with a 2500 Suburban 8.1 liter. I started with a Reese Dual Cam, then went to the Equalizer, and then - finally - a ProPride. With the ProPride the sway events were reduced dramatically, and ~98% eliminated. (I am using the same ProPride today on our Airstream.) Sure the ProPride installation and set-up were more complicated, but once that was completed, our everyday hitch-up and adjustments are quick and easy (no more complicated than with the Dual Cam or the Equalizer). Yes, the initial cost for the PP was significant, but the absence of white-knuckle sway events caused by big-rigs and wind, etc. made the investment 100% worthwhile, from my perspective.

1995 & 2004 Gary Fisher Hoo-Koo-e-Koo emergency vehicles
pt.reyesfan is offline   Reply With Quote