Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2017, 11:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Cool Dealer recommends Equalizer as a more 'user friendly' than ProPride?

We are planning to tow a 25' AS with the new Ford Expedition. In order to do this safely, Ford requires a properly designed and installed weight distribution hitch.

We asked our AS dealer to help us by installing and adjusting a ProPride WD hitch to fit this Ford requirement.

The AS dealer told us that they only install the Equalizer hitch. This AS dealer is well respected by both of us, and this Forum. We would like to follow their recommendation of the Equalizer WD hitch. However, we feel that the PP is also highly respected for its quality and performance, if not its expense, on this Forum.

We feel that, with the money we are investing in our brand-new AS and Expedition Max Platinum, the extra expense of the ProPride WD hitch is a deserved quality towing addition to our 'See the USA' touring package.

What should we do? Inquiring minds want to know.
DaytonaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 03:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
The PP has a learning curve, all of which is explained on various posts here. After that, it is very user friendly and, in my opinion, the safest design of any hitch. At least that was my decision and I am sticking with it.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 04:41 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Cool Is it safe to tow an unloaded a 25' AS to the PP dealer w/o a WD hitch?

Larry,

Sounds good to us! Where can we get one? Is it safe to tow an unloaded 25' AS with our new Expedition to the PP dealer without a WD hitch?

Sue & Dan
Old 08-06-2017, 05:13 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I agree with Larry. Once you've conquered the learning curve it's a great Hitch. We love ours. Dealers install what they know. I believe many shy away from the ProPride because of the cost. I bought mine directly from ProPride on their website. Sean, the owner, is extremely helpful and easy to do business with. Email or call him and I bet he can direct you to a place to have installed.
Also, search YouTube for ProPride. There is a guy with a seven part series on using the hitch. Shortened my learning curve to just a few minutes. Both of you should watch them. Makes it much easier when The whole team understands how it works.
You won't regret purchasing a ProPride.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:19 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
2017 23' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
New York , New York
When the 2018 Expedition is released they will publish a towing guide at https://www.ford.com/towingguides/

Most of the Ford hitches won't take a lot of dead weight, the F150 is only rated for 500 lbs, the current (outgoing) Expedition is rated for 600. There is word that they were going to up the strength of the hitch for 2018 but none of the specs are available. Given these are unreleased vehicles there is no real way to answer the question but it's highly likely you will need a WD hitch. Plus most WD hitches give you sway control.

The $550 Equalizer should be just fine, a $2500 PP / Hensley is totally overkill for a 25' towed behind such a massive vehicle IMO. Plus a PP or HA are *very* heavy, expensive, and complicated. I'd recommend you tow with the Equalizer and upgrade after driving it for a year if you feel you really need to at that point.

-m
mattskav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 05:41 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Saint Augustine , Florida
dealer stubborness

I just went through that exact scenario. I recently purchased a 2015 Classic, 30. When we got through the initial discussion on price, etc, I said, I'm going to need you to install my hitch. They responded that they would NOT install any hitch they do not sell. I had already made up my mind that I want a Pro Pride and of course, you buy them FROM Propride. I said, how do I take a coach out of your yard w/o a hitch attached ? They: but a cheap one here and bring it where you want. that wasn't going to work. Long story short, they finally acquiesced and installed the Propride ( and did a nice job), but not w/o my threatening to nix the deal.

It does have a learning curve ( I'm still somewhere on that curve, but getting better.) It's a hell of a hitch. The 30' classic is about 7800 # empty and can be up to 10K, full. I tow with an F 250, 6.7 Diesel. Firstly, the truck/coach combo is solidly one unit, the truck not knowing the coach is there. There is NO sway at 70 mph while being passed by semi's doing easily 80 or more; not even a hint. Now, I've only towed 4 short trips (each under 5 hours), but all were on the interstates. I have not experienced any high crosswinds yet either, but I firmly believe that if the hitch is this stable at 70-75 mph and I get hit with some higher than average winds, maybe I'll have to slow down a bit ( I typically drive at 65), but I doubt there'll be any issues.
accordionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 05:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
DaytonaDan - my free advice (worth everything you paid for it) get the ProPride.

Are you buying in Australia or in the US? Your profile says the former but you mention a see the USA tour...either way the physics work the same in both countries [emoji23]

Lots of threads here and videos on YouTube to speed the learning curve. The end result is as close to peace of mind you can get for towing.

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:01 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
or go with a Hensley Arrow.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:08 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Cool Here's another question.

Here's another question.

Would it be smart or really stupid to load the trailer's batteries and the EMPTY LP cylinders into the Expey to lower the trailer's hitch weight?

Don't know how much this would lower the hitch weight, but it should help.

The Unit Base Weight (with LP & Batteries) of a 25' Signature is 5,600. The trailer towing weight limit for the 2017 Expedition EL with a standard hitch is 6,000. And, the AS' Hitch Weight (with LP & Batteries) is 835.

Thoughts?
Old 08-06-2017, 06:58 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattskav View Post
The Ford hitches won't take a lot of dead weight, the F150 is only rated for 500 lbs, ...
I'm not sure this is correct. My factory-installed hitch, on a 2013 F-150, is rated for a dead weight of 1,200 lbs.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:15 AM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattskav View Post
When the 2018 Expedition is released they will publish a towing guide at https://www.ford.com/towingguides/

Most of the Ford hitches won't take a lot of dead weight, the F150 is only rated for 500 lbs, the current (outgoing) Expedition is rated for 600.
-m
I'm not sure where you came up with that figure. According to the info you linked to, it's more like 1200 pounds tongue weight.

HITCH RECEIVER:
F-150 12,200, 1,220

Old 08-06-2017, 07:46 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'd point out that the folks who praise the PP and add, "We don't have any sway" don't actually know if they would have HAD sway with a Equal-I-zer, Blue Ox, or naked ball. They just assume their $2500 hitch cured the problem.
I'd be more impressed if someone took the same trailer, same tow vehicle and noticed a significant difference in hitches.

I look on the highway, large boat trailers never have WD hitches. RV trailers, for the most part, have a WD with round bars. I've never seen a PP on the highway. Trailers aren't crashing all the time either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck and Boat #1.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	291447  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:52 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
It's a matter of choice. If I am buying and want X and the dealer says to buy Y then I would find another dealer.

One other thing. Measure the hitch weight, don't go by what the trailer mfr claims.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:13 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Naperville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonaDan View Post
We are planning to tow a 25' AS with the new Ford Expedition. In order to do this safely, Ford requires a properly designed and installed weight distribution hitch.

We asked our AS dealer to help us by installing and adjusting a ProPride WD hitch to fit this Ford requirement.

The AS dealer told us that they only install the Equalizer hitch. This AS dealer is well respected by both of us, and this Forum. We would like to follow their recommendation of the Equalizer WD hitch. However, we feel that the PP is also highly respected for its quality and performance, if not its expense, on this Forum.

We feel that, with the money we are investing in our brand-new AS and Expedition Max Platinum, the extra expense of the ProPride WD hitch is a deserved quality towing addition to our 'See the USA' touring package.

What should we do? Inquiring minds want to know.

Before we purchased our Airstream, we had a Big White Box (30 ft Arctic Fox) for 10 years, pulled with a 2500 Suburban 8.1 liter. I started with a Reese Dual Cam, then went to the Equalizer, and then - finally - a ProPride. With the ProPride the sway events were reduced dramatically, and ~98% eliminated. (I am using the same ProPride today on our Airstream.) Sure the ProPride installation and set-up were more complicated, but once that was completed, our everyday hitch-up and adjustments are quick and easy (no more complicated than with the Dual Cam or the Equalizer). Yes, the initial cost for the PP was significant, but the absence of white-knuckle sway events caused by big-rigs and wind, etc. made the investment 100% worthwhile, from my perspective.
1995 & 2004 Gary Fisher Hoo-Koo-e-Koo emergency vehicles
pt.reyesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:52 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Never had any sway or issues with my Equalizer Hitch with 1,000# bars. Towed behind our 2014 Tundra 4x4 just fine. The Tundra was a bit light weight for rear suspension pulling the 25 foot and sat down in the rear. If you tried to move weight to the front end, the leaf springs would go flat.

Traded in the Tundra and went to a 2016 Ford F350, 4x4. The cost of the extra leaf spring on each side may have been $300 on the sticker price to go from 3/4 ton to 1 ton. Same Equalizer hitch, five washers and no issues at any speed or road conditions.

Went from the 2 1/2" shank to the 3" shank to fit tighter into the 3" hitch for the F350. They use a shim to downsize from the 3" to 2 1/2". Check out the Equalizer Slop Thread.

So it may not the hitch is not appropriate for towing, but the vehicle.

I am not selling hitches nor change brands because of any peer pressure at a camp ground. This hitch is simple, easy to tinker with and currently 100% content. Which for me is remarkable as I can find fault with about anything...

Keep It Simple Stupid fits me and my being content with this hitch... up to this point. Another system may match your vehicle's length, weight and suspension better. For a heavy truck versus a lighter vehicle... it may become easier to match about anything to tow.

Having someone else's experiences with same vehicle and system is best. Many avoid posting to avoid any negative feedback. I hope they step forward.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5149 (1).jpg
Views:	207
Size:	361.6 KB
ID:	291450  
Old 08-06-2017, 08:55 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2021 30' Globetrotter
East Northport , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I'd point out that the folks who praise the PP and add, "We don't have any sway" don't actually know if they would have HAD sway with a Equal-I-zer, Blue Ox, or naked ball. They just assume their $2500 hitch cured the problem.
I'd be more impressed if someone took the same trailer, same tow vehicle and noticed a significant difference in hitches.
I usually try to stay out of these discussions for obvious reasons but I'll chime in here. When I picked up my 23FB my tow vehicle was a 2013 Tacoma with a Reese WD hitch. No sway control... aside from the useless built in electronic sway control the Tacoma comes with. The trip home was white knuckle the whole way. The electronic sway control took over at one point and nearly drove me off the road. I crawled home and was actually thankful for the bumper to bumper NYC traffic.
The same truck/trailer combo with the propride was night and day. Instead of driving on the edge of my seat, I would find myself having to slow down to stay below 65mph. That tail wagging the dog feeling was gone. The Tacoma's built in sway control never activated again.
I recently traded in the Tacoma for a Tundra and, while I probably don't need the propride with this combo, I will certainly continue to use it. In my experience it works to eliminate (not control) sway and is worth every penny.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:56 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:

Your premise isn't universally true. Yes, in my case, I've used no other system so I don't have anything to compare it to. Others have posted throughout the forums on their use of multiple hitches and on their use of a VPP (Hensley or ProPride) speak clearly about their experience and how it differed with that type of hitch. It's not a brag thing, it's not a "class" thing (as if spending more money by itself is a better thing) - it's just the physics of the way the VPP mechanism works.

Let me ask - have you used a ProPride and decided something else was better? If so - what is it and how did you make that decision?

Last - I say this frequently - practically any of the major brands of hitch will serve people well. They're not junk. The design of the AS works in everyone's favor too - they're lower to the ground and far more aerodynamic than SOBs. So go with whatever floats your boat and know exactly what it is you want to accomplish, what parameters you're willing to explore and why. If all do this - we'll all be happy with our decisions and won't be so tempted to dis others who make different choices.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:56 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:

I look on the highway, large boat trailers never have WD hitches. RV trailers, for the most part, have a WD with round bars. I've never seen a PP on the highway. Trailers aren't crashing all the time either.
I'm going to hazard a guess, and it is a guess, that there is a significant difference between the moment of inertia of a large boat on a trailer and a travel trailer. With the boat trailer, a large percentage of the weight is concentrated in the engines and running gear which is usually over the axles. That, combined with the triple axle arrangement may lead to higher stability and less tendency to sway, and may allow the use of substantially less than the 10-15% tongue weight recommendation that seems standard for travel trailers. The weight of a travel trailer is more evenly distributed. While the heavy fridge is often over the axles, batteries and gear, plust the structure of the trailer itself is not.

Also, from
https://www.synthx.com/articles/trailer-stability.html/

"Length with respect to width is another stability factor. Longer trailers typically tow better — or more accurately, a greater separation between the rear most wheels of the tow vehicle and the fore most wheels of the trailer. A long tongue (as discussed in the Strength section) can facilitate such separation."

Bottom line, I don't think you can compare boat trailers like the one pictured to towing an Airstream. The opinion espressed here is worth exactly what you paid for it, YMMV.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:57 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I've never owned anything but Equalizer 1000lb bars but never had an issue with sway or in windy conditions. Just haven't felt the need to upgrade to PP.

Kelvin
Old 08-06-2017, 09:12 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I've never owned anything but Equalizer 1000lb bars but never had an issue with sway or in windy conditions. Just haven't felt the need to upgrade to PP.

Kelvin
Ditto, and I tow with an expedition
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote