Old 08-06-2017, 04:46 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Have tried exact same rig and course with a ProPride and without. Won't tow anything without the ProPride.

2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:44 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
I was pulling a 30 ft Classic and had. Hensley similar to a propride, I sold it and bought a equalizer and love it. The Hensley is a good hitch but it takes to long to hitch up.

The Equalizer is as simple as you can get and works great. Listen to your dealer and save some money and gray hairs

I now have a 33 foot Classic and the Equalizer works great. Lots of folks on hear are great believers in Hensley and Propride and we all have choices. Do your own research.

Earl

EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:48 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plover , Wisconsin
Talking Hitch Receiver Capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattskav View Post
When the 2018 Expedition is released they will publish a towing guide at https://www.ford.com/towingguides/

Most of the Ford hitches won't take a lot of dead weight, the F150 is only rated for 500 lbs, the current (outgoing) Expedition is rated for 600. There is word that they were going to up the strength of the hitch for 2018 but none of the specs are available. Given these are unreleased vehicles there is no real way to answer the question but it's highly likely you will need a WD hitch. Plus most WD hitches give you sway control.

The $550 Equalizer should be just fine, a $2500 PP / Hensley is totally overkill for a 25' towed behind such a massive vehicle IMO. Plus a PP or HA are *very* heavy, expensive, and complicated. I'd recommend you tow with the Equalizer and upgrade after driving it for a year if you feel you really need to at that point.

-m
The max tongue load on a 2017 F-150 is 1220 lbs. on the hitch receiver. On the bumper it is 500 lbs. This is according to the web site chart you mentioned. As I understand the chart, the higher value is with a weight distributing hitch. Nevertheless, the chart is not clear to my virgin eyes.
Oxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:34 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I'd point out that the folks who praise the PP and add, "We don't have any sway" don't actually know if they would have HAD sway with a Equal-I-zer, Blue Ox, or naked ball. They just assume their $2500 hitch cured the problem.
I'd be more impressed if someone took the same trailer, same tow vehicle and noticed a significant difference in hitches.

I look on the highway, large boat trailers never have WD hitches. RV trailers, for the most part, have a WD with round bars. I've never seen a PP on the highway. Trailers aren't crashing all the time either.
No common sense comments please. It upsets people don't you know :-).
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:47 AM   #45
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker View Post
I usually try to stay out of these discussions for obvious reasons but I'll chime in here. When I picked up my 23FB my tow vehicle was a 2013 Tacoma with a Reese WD hitch. No sway control... aside from the useless built in electronic sway control the Tacoma comes with. The trip home was white knuckle the whole way. The electronic sway control took over at one point and nearly drove me off the road. I crawled home and was actually thankful for the bumper to bumper NYC traffic.
The same truck/trailer combo with the propride was night and day. Instead of driving on the edge of my seat, I would find myself having to slow down to stay below 65mph. That tail wagging the dog feeling was gone. The Tacoma's built in sway control never activated again.
I recently traded in the Tacoma for a Tundra and, while I probably don't need the propride with this combo, I will certainly continue to use it. In my experience it works to eliminate (not control) sway and is worth every penny.
How can you compare a hitch with no sway control with a pp? Too bad you couldn't try sway control bars on your Reese. Not too sure about your tv either. Good luck..
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:03 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
2017 23' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I'm not sure where you came up with that figure. According to the info you linked to, it's more like 1200 pounds tongue weight.

Ė
HITCH RECEIVER:
F-150 12,200, 1,220

His question was if he could tow without WD, the answer is probably no. The hitch on the F150 is rated for 500 pounds dead weight, 1220 with WD. You may verify yourself at the link I provided.
mattskav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:31 AM   #47
Obviously-NOT

2017 30' Classic
Kalispell , Montana
Thanks for the details

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt.reyesfan View Post
Starting out frugally is exactly what I did when we purchased our 2016 Airstream Classic. (I am an engineer working in a highly quantitative field. I tend to be a bit anal about tight comparisons.) ... Degree of sway was quantified (as inches of excursion from midline of front of Airstream trailer centerline) by a GoPro camera placed on the top of the ARE cap on the truck.

6. FYI: The ProPride hitch remains on the Airstream. I have now placed the old Equalizer on my ATC Toy Hauler. (I may eventually purchase another ProPride for the ToyHauler, if I can afford it.)
Hoo yah anal. Data, documented, cogent . . . Priceless.
james.mileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:53 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I went Elk hunting in Wyoming with a 7.7 Japanese WWII bolt action rifle from a garage sale for $25. Bought a carton of 20 7.7 rounds. Paid $25 for a Resident Cow Permit. I was a student and living just below the proverty level by... 50%, on GI Bill with a wife and child.

The hunt was successful at the first sunrise. Two rounds.

My buddy had a high powered rifle with scope. No luck.

This is the same kind of debate with rifles, scopes and cartridges. What I had worked for me and I am ignorant of the magnums and high powered scopes.

Never needed to upgrade my rifle, as I never went Elk hunting again. It did the job.

Those who start with the magnum 'hitch'. Great. It works. I started with the inexpensive Equalizer supplied by the RV Dealer. It works.

No argument. It may not be pretty... but sometimes it is the operator that is the missing link. Not the equipment.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:48 AM   #49
1 Rivet Member

2002 28' Classic
2018 30' International
Superior , Colorado
Just bought a new 30 foot Serenity. Dealer would not install the PropPride. I purchased the Propride and Sean, the power, was and is an extraordinary resources and help.

1) Instal it yourself (first recommendation)
2) Take it to a dealer who will install it (and stand over them while they do it because they will do it wrong if you don't unless they have installed a number of them).

We did option number 2. Install went fine. Took us (I oversaw and helped a bit) 8 hours to do it.

I was very concerned about towing the trailer to the dealer who would install the ProPride, about 30 miles on the freeway. I previously had a 28 foot Classic with a Hensley and loved it! My experience was with no weight in the trailer (it was brand new with only propane filled and about 10% fresh) with no other items it towed wonderfully and I kept it to 55 MPH. I have a Dodge 2500 so the truck weighs more than the trailer and we had no problem with sway or anything else.

Go with ProPride, love ours. Just make sure you either install it or supervise its install as its like no other hitch installation. Sean said, the less you know how to install the hitch the better because then you will follow the instructions and install it correctly.

Hope this is helpful.

Andrew & Jen
Visioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:51 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Boats. That's a 5% TW. A 10,000-lb boat/trailer = 500-lbs TW. And the big boat trailers do. You just don't see them.
I'm sorry, but a 5% tongue weight on a boat trailer creates the same poor handling as a 5% tongue weight on a trailer full of bricks.
To say I don't see boat trailers with WD hitches because of a light tongue weight invalidates your opinion.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:58 AM   #51
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
I'm sorry, but a 5% tongue weight on a boat trailer creates the same poor handling as a 5% tongue weight on a trailer full of bricks.
To say I don't see boat trailers with WD hitches because of a light tongue weight invalidates your opinion.
No, you just don't understand how boat trailers are set up. Slide a few bunks and let us know.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:06 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
No, you just don't understand how boat trailers are set up. Slide a few bunks and let us know.
Completely different animal....assuming correct trailer is used the the particular boat.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:07 PM   #53
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Well that could be true if the trailers had the same windage, the same trailer axle location relative to the significant masses, and the same moment of inertia. But they typically don't.

Long front distance from hitch to trailer axles, short rear trailer overhang, low centre of gravity, boat engine mass close to trailer axles, etc, all mean that boat trailers typically run less tongue weight % than a travel trailer.

This was pointed out by Al further up thread, in response to your post with a textbook example photo of these factors.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:43 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Ford hitch at 500 lbs is with no WD. Well over 1000 with WD. There is an AS dealer in Ft Worth, TX that will require you take off a Hensley or Pro Pride before they will work on it. Could be that they sell the Equalizer, which I understand is a very good hitch, but the salesman said to me that with the ease of towing an Airstream, he did not know why someone would want a sway control or WD in the first place. Guess he has not been out of the showroom much, certainly towing a trailer.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:16 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoWhereTowed View Post
Ford hitch at 500 lbs is with no WD. Well over 1000 with WD. There is an AS dealer in Ft Worth, TX that will require you take off a Hensley or Pro Pride before they will work on it. Could be that they sell the Equalizer, which I understand is a very good hitch, but the salesman said to me that with the ease of towing an Airstream, he did not know why someone would want a sway control or WD in the first place. Guess he has not been out of the showroom much, certainly towing a trailer.

They want it removed so they can move the trailer around the lot and service area on a ball hitch. ProPride now offers a "ball type hitch" that inserts into the hitch like our stinger does. It is for lot use only but eliminates the need to leave the stinger which totally throws most dealers off.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:50 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
I have a 23D and 2014 JGC TV. I have the equalizer and it works well. I tend to be a techie and buy the best. I hear PP is the best. But it is really heavy.

Equalizer is lighter, I can easily pick it up, and simp,e to use. Tows the 23D like a pro, no issues thus far. To each his own.

I think that the PO would be overkill for my current setup and would add to the tongue weight in an already compromised payload situation.

Plus, you will spend a ton of $$ on a new or used rig to get it the weigh you ant it. Equalizer will work fine for you, and you can use that other $2000 difference for other upgrades.

Also, some have mentioned stiff ride. I haven't seen it yet....

YMMV

Thanks
Old 08-07-2017, 08:06 PM   #57
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoWhereTowed View Post
Ten years ago the dealer was Roger Williams. His service manager was practically the Hensley guru on this forum. Bought mine there. They nailed it first time.

Sorry the present one is so ignorant. He just can't make money on it. Good thing there is more than one AS competent shop in DFW.

If you can't leave the stinger in place for them to move it, contact AS to complain. Loudly. These hitches have been out fir twenty years.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:33 PM   #58
Obviously-NOT

2017 30' Classic
Kalispell , Montana
Just left mine for two months with the stinger and jacks up about for inches to give it a down angle. They used a receiver that was designed for adding a receiver mounted bike rack above the main receiver. When I left it we discussed just looping a yellow strap around the stinger and fork tine. Ain't that hard, just leave the stinger installed, will keep them from some other dumb idea messing up your pivot head.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:33 PM   #59
Texas Traveler

2017 26' Flying Cloud
GEORGETOWN , Texas
2017 Expedition, tow package, 9200 trailer, 14k gross
EQ WD
2017 26U
March 2017 to today 5800 miles, I 40, I 30, I 25, state roads, county roads and here and there... no issues, no problems setting up, no issues unhitching, no issues towing

Sometimes Too much information is as bad a too little.
Tom Steinhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:19 AM   #60
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
How long does it take to hook up if the truck and trailer are not level or the truck rear wheels are in a ditch or the truck is not parallel to the trailer?

thanks
Earl

EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote