Old 08-30-2017, 05:10 PM   #197
4 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Salem , Oregon
So you just need an engineer in the family to set it up and keep it adjusted. This is why the dealers don't sell the pro pride.

Dave

Old 08-30-2017, 05:39 PM   #198
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Saved by the Odometer and Equalizer Hitch... and other upgrades

I will never want to be a Trailer Hitch Geek... There just is no future in it.

After nearly three weeks of OUR toughest Off the Grid campsites and travel in Nevada, Idaho, western Montana and western Wyoming... it cost me $41 to have the tow vehicle and Airstream International ... washed at Blue Beacon, Las Vegas... restoring both to their original 'EXTERIOR' colors.

My Equalizer Hitch with 1,000 pound bars made for a stable ride and not one single reason wanting to change hitches.

On the 'Loneliest Highway' in the USA... Nevada I looked at my speedometer... 90mph+. No sway. Great response to slowing down to 65/75 mph. Not one indication that 100+mph was not possible. You look at the road on the horizon without traffic, beast, or space aliens hitching for a ride.

The odometer goes to 100mph.

The 16" LTX Michelins on the International... wanted more... I wanted to spend more time on the Planet.

My Ford F350, My International 25 foot, My Equalizer Hitch... work just fine for me.

I am living proof that any fool can, with experience and proper equipment, do unplanned 'validated' testing of all components of Highway Towing.

IF YOU... have not driven many of the 100 mile+ two lane highways between one Ghost Town and another in Nevada... try it some day and go 55mph.

What is it like to see the odometer at 90 or a bit more....? Much like 65, as long as the wife is dozing in the passenger seat. The ride was smooth and obviously, without incident.

I do not plan to be the test monkey on hitches, tires or tow vehicles... but this is not to be repeated.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:11 PM   #199
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Should I ever come to the conclusion that towing and Airstream or SOB is so dangerous and life threatening, that the only thing that would keep me from certain sway induced catastrophe and possible death is a $ 3,000.00 hitch that comes with 23 pages of instructions I will will be selling our Airstream and stop towing period.
And I would suggest that anyone feeling that insecure and unqualified towing that that is a must for them should stay of the road to keep the rest of us safe.

Why is it that reading any of these threads about hitches and there are countless, always end up with the same undertones invariably suggesting that unless one is using a ProPride or Hensley he is endangering his family and the general motoring public.
Frankly I find all this rather absurd.
Accidents are rarely induced by equipment failure or the lack of.
Since you make the argument subjective (as always) and not ever objective, I'll recommend readers substitute "Airstream brand of travel trailer" for a Hensley-designed hitch.

Learned nothing, did we?

No design understanding, no experience. Don't waste your money.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:18 PM   #200
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
So you just need an engineer in the family to set it up and keep it adjusted. This is why the dealers don't sell the pro pride.

Dave
Respectfully disagree. I set it up when my daughter and I installed it, following the directions in the book.. Doesn't require other than a minor adjustment for WD when trailer load changes.

The reason dealers don't sell it is that its only available from the manufacturer, as far as I know, and that the price probably does not include dealer profit...dealers don't sell Hensley, either, for that matter.

From what I've read on the forum, there are quite a few dealers that don't know how to set up simpler design hitches either...not that I would trust most of them to do anything right on my rig (grin).

By the way, I'm not a mechanical engineer, either, my expertise is electronics, computer science, and management of information systems, and being one heck of a DIY expert on most other things...including swinging wrenches on vehicles... I contend that an intelligent person that can read the manual can figure most things out--I've made a career of it.
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 03:20 PM   #201
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Since you make the argument subjective (as always) and not ever objective, I'll recommend readers substitute "Airstream brand of travel trailer" for a Hensley-designed hitch.

Learned nothing, did we?

No design understanding, no experience. Don't waste your money.

Its difficult to learn anything when you spend your life in your own echo chamber.
And once again you are proving yourself to be insufferable bore with your personal insults.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:44 PM   #202

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Its difficult to learn anything when you spend your life in your own echo chamber.

And once again you are proving yourself to be insufferable bore with your personal insults.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:14 PM   #203
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Macon , Georgia
Old 09-01-2017, 06:46 AM   #204
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:

Asking for what's objective versus subjective is an insult? Do you understand the difference?

Or you don't like that the weakness of your "argument" is upset by substituting "Airstream" in favor of "Hensley"?

Spending money on better towing equipment is one thing. Reason to spend it is based on what can be tested. Where are the tests?

Pretty funny you and some of these others think this a popularity contest.

Be satisfied with your compromised choices. Most of us are. But "compromised" is not the same as "best".

A pickup that runs around empty when solo isn't "best". Start there.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:48 AM   #205
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
On the 'Loneliest Highway' in the USA... Nevada I looked at my speedometer... 90mph+. No sway.
Yikes! At 90 mph I'd be worried about my E rated tires letting go. But I'm glad to hear a positive story from an Equalizer user. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Be satisfied with your compromised choices. Most of us are. But "compromised" is not the same as "best".
Best is subjective too. The best choice might be to stay home, save the money, reduce chances of an accident, robbery, natural disaster, medical emergency, etc. We all compromise, some more than others.
If a 1/2" rope supports my weight, am I safer using a 3/4" rope? No, I just wasted money. The 3/4" rope made me feel better though. Okay. Then I write a report that the 3/4" rope did a better job.
Quote:
A pickup that runs around empty when solo isn't "best". Start there.
True.