Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2016, 09:55 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Coupler Latch

I have a 2016 30' International for about a year now. More often than not, when I hitch up my trailer, the holes on the coupler latch won't line up, so I can't get a latch pin through it. I know the latch is holdjing to the hitch ball because I can raise the trailer with the jack to the point where it will raise my tow vehicle. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm hoping there's an easy solution. Thanks in advance.
loberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:42 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
ishpeming , Michigan
I have found a bit of grease on the ball and a bit of silicon spray on the coupler usually do the trick. Sometimes I have to smack the coupler and "nuge" it back and forth to line up. I would NEVER tow without a hitch pin through the hoes though. That is just my opinion........... and you know what free advice is worth.
amazingwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:57 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

I appreciate the advice. I have had this problem several times. I have always, one way or another, gotten the holes to line up eventually. Unfortunately this past weekend I could not get it to line up & had to drive an hour without a pin in place. Nerve racking to say the least. I'll try what you said. Thanks.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
next time try pulling the TV forward a tiny bit to pull the ball to the front of the hitch coupler socket. If the ball is resting pushed against the back side of the coupler pushing on the ball clamp it can prevent the ball clamp from being able to go down all the way. Also grease up inside the coupler itself can help it move smoothly.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:02 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
We have had it happen a few times. We raise the hitch and slightly move the truck and that has always worked.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:14 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
I raise the hitch until it lines up thats what my instructions say that came with the coupler rebuilt kit .
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:38 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The holes don't line up because the coupler isn't completely aligned. Move the rig around, either by raising the front of the trailer, or pulling forward and back a few feet, until the holes line up.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
The holes don't line up because the coupler isn't completely aligned. Move the rig around, either by raising the front of the trailer, or pulling forward and back a few feet, until the holes line up.
Yes, good advice. Works for me.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:19 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Pleasant Plains , Illinois
As mentioned, it's helpful to keep your ball and coupler slightly lubricated. For the few instances my pin holes didn't line up, I have pulled the tow vehicle slightly forward with some weight on the ball. I can normally snap my coupler in place by placing my truck in drive and quickly take my foot off the brake.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:16 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Is there one type of lubricant that is best for this application?
Old 08-31-2016, 10:29 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by loberg View Post
REESE has hitch ball lubricant that I use. Bill
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:30 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
If holes do not line up you are actually not hooked, you will be able to often raise the hitch but you are not hooked. As other say move the TV a fraction or what I do is raise up, push the trailer a fraction while lowering down and it usually does the trick.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:55 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
When there are two of us engaged in the hitching/unhitching process, this almost never happens. But, when I do it alone, it happens occasionally. The truck tends to move a bit after I put it in "PARK" and that throws off the perfect alignment with the coupler.

As others have said, it ends up being a slight forward/backward movement of the truck that usually solves the issue.
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:54 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBOskiBear View Post
When there are two of us engaged in the hitching/unhitching process, this almost never happens. But, when I do it alone, it happens occasionally. The truck tends to move a bit after I put it in "PARK" and that throws off the perfect alignment with the coupler.

As others have said, it ends up being a slight forward/backward movement of the truck that usually solves the issue.
When you think you have the perfect alignment (but before you put your transmission in PARK and let off the brakes), engage the emergency brake. That will keep the TV from moving after you let off the foot brake. As a secondary benefit, many rear brake auto-adjusters are engaged by the emergency brake mechanism, so that you're actually helping the rear brakes stay in proper tune.
Alumineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by loberg View Post

Generic brand Clear Moly available at any auto parts, marine store or wallyworld will do the job.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:08 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumineer View Post
When you think you have the perfect alignment (but before you put your transmission in PARK and let off the brakes), engage the emergency brake. That will keep the TV from moving after you let off the foot brake. As a secondary benefit, many rear brake auto-adjusters are engaged by the emergency brake mechanism, so that you're actually helping the rear brakes stay in proper tune.
I used to do that keep it from moving. But, I thought I read somewhere that because I'm raising the truck so much to connect hitch and then the WD bars, that it wasn't a good idea to engage the parking brake.

If that's not accurate, I'd rather to reinstate the practice of engaging the parking brake. I'm usually in the habit of engaging it anytime I'm parked, regardless of whether it's a hill or flat. Just a habit I've always had.
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote