Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-27-2017, 05:22 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Brooklyn , New York
Smile Converting the electric trailer cable to European 7 pin

Hi all and thanks for a great forum!

I just imported my Excella 25 feet 88 model to Europe. I bought an Audi Q7 that could handle the 750 pounds hitch ball weight with an American class III hitch, but now need to figure out how to convert the electric cable.

Does anybody have any knowledge of what to get in terms of converters to connect a US 7 pin plug to a European 7 pin socket?

I thought this would be easy, but American trailers have electric breaks etc.

All help appreciated!
Bjorn
BjornHolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:42 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Why adopt, just cut the end off and wire on a new connector. If you don’t have a brake controller then leave the brakes disconnected.

Of course the best solution would be to order a brake controller...
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
No brake controllers in europe. Surgebrakes.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:57 AM   #4
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Does your Audi have a Hella brand plug?
If so replace the Airstream end to the same standard... Simple, just omit the blue wire as it will go to nothing.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:55 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
No brake controllers in europe. Surgebrakes.

Yes, but the OP didn’t mention that he was going to replace the electric brakes and hitch front end to handle surge brakes; so the simplest route to trailer brakes would be to import a brake controller too.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:56 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Brooklyn , New York
Thanks for replies, BUT

To get this trailer approved in Norway, I need the breaks to works. Also, that Norway has the roughest terrain in Europe, I would probably need them too.

So, does anyone know of anyone that has connected a regular US trailer with breaks on a European socket?

Another issue just rewiring the wires without using a converter can give a wrong signal to the car when towing, so it does not change the gears etc. while towing and overheats the gearbox. Just did this with my previous car.

I contacted e-trailer for advice too.

The "easy" solution is to set up a US socket in parallel on the Audi and add the additional wires and converter box, but was hoping to use the socket as is.

Bjorn
Old 11-28-2017, 02:36 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Frankfurt , Rhein-Main
About 15 years ago since I did such a conversion. I will outline it below, but you need to check that your liability with regard to the legality.

1. To my knowledge there is no converter or adaptor on the market.

2. If that is a European Audi Q7, it probably does not have an electric brake controller.

3. FYI I imported and fitted a brake controller into a Range Rover. I had an additional loom made and dimensioned for the current involved. It was about two long evenings work to install the loom and a US Socket. The Range provided for two sockets, so I could have a plug for US or EU trailers.

4. The configuration of the rear lights on an Airstream did not conform to EU regs, so I used an aluminium extrusion fitted with EU lights, those red triangles and the temporary number plate holder. This needed to be fixed to the bumper storage compartment. It had a 10m cable which I ran through the inside of the Airstream to plug into the EU Socket on the Range.

5. Three years ago, while replacing that first stolen Airstream, I turned the whole problem over to a professional Airstream service. They collected the unit from port, replaced the whole hitch, running gear + breaks to conform to EU legislation and handled all the approvals.

6. I actually prefer the electric brakes to the surge brakes, but to my knowledge these are virtually impossible to get through an approval in the EU. It may be different in Norway, which is not an EU member.

It was a real hassle with the shady-legality of the electric brakes. That is why, second time around, I gave up and had the full conversion to EU surge brakes. When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

It was difficult for the professionals to get the hitch ball weight inside to the EU required 150kg maximum. Whilst the Range could easily handle the original hitch ball weight, the EU approval requires max. 150kg. The end result is actually a less stable unit. But when in Rome...

Hope that helps a bit.
Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:52 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Brooklyn , New York
Great

Thanks Antonio,

In Norway they just changed the rules, so basically, if I have a car and hitch that can handle the weight, it is approved. Even with electric breaks.

The trailer would then be registered with my car in the vehicle reg document.

So, I guess my only option is to install the loom and US socket on my Audi, and just get that from e-trailer in the same go.

Bjorn
Old 11-28-2017, 05:13 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjack View Post
Yes, but the OP didn’t mention that he was going to replace the electric brakes and hitch front end to handle surge brakes; so the simplest route to trailer brakes would be to import a brake controller too.
The question is are electric brakes legal in european countries?
Old 11-28-2017, 05:15 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
The question is are electric brakes legal in european countries?
Did nkt see post number 8.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:57 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1949 18' Trailwind
Currently Looking...
Brighton , Uk
I've just fitted a prodigy rs on a 49 trailwind and tv is a European landrover

Post back if u want to know how I did it
Took me ages but now I know what I'm doing the next time I'd do it different and it wouldn't take long
Goatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:49 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Brooklyn , New York
Yes, that would be very helpful.

I just set up a list of components to order fro etrailer and checked several options. As I understand, I need a break controller in my Audi q7, plus US wiring, class 3 hitch etc.

So any tips on how to do this easier would be awesome

Bjorn
Old 12-07-2017, 06:31 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1949 18' Trailwind
Currently Looking...
Brighton , Uk
Fitting a brake controller to a uk vehicle

So I wired a landrover up to enable it to accept a brake controller. Uk vehicles don't have the set up to allow u to 'plug in' a brake controller. Nor is there a wiring harness u can buy. Nor should u use a feed from the existing wiring loom as the wire won't be thick enough and u risk a fire.
There a number of brake controllers out there. I chose a tekonsha prodigy rs.
(Google for wether your car will 'pair' the prodigy. I know a number of vw's won't enable pairing).
Pairing is when u enable the brake controller to talk to the wireless dongle u plug in the cigarette lighter.
U can use a cheaper unit but in the uk, the brake controller has to be mounted on the trailer. Some people are able to adapt the cheaper unit (which are made for in car mounting) to fit on the trailer but I chose to make my life easier (but more expensive)
So next u have to take a live feed from your tow vehicle (tv) battery and get it to the rear of the tv. I placed mine in plastic conduit and passed it through a gromet, through a hole
In the chassis and then mounted a U.K. S socket on the rear. I took the earth (ground in USA) back to the battery through another wire (in the same conduit). I put in a separate fuse box next to the battery with a 30 amp fuse.

The s socket needs 2 wires to be fitted to the original tow socket, from the s socket, as the 2 need to "speak to each other".

So I have a light board attached to the rear of the trailer - because the wiring on the trailer is old and a fire risk. This plugs into the existing tow socket. The brake controller plugs into the s socket.
Now one day I will rewire the trailer and just use the s socket as the trailer wires will be fed through the s socket. I will have to make connections between the s and the tow socket as in the USA they flash the brake lights for indicators which I can't do in the uk.

Shopping list:
Fuse box.
http://polevolt.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh0000...2ehtml#SID=122
Live and earth 16mm from fuse box to tv battery
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262591740469
U may need new battery terminals to allow additional wire mounting
30 amp fuse (if using prodigy rs)
Prodigy rs. I purchased from Amazon USA
4mm2 wire in black and white long enough to go from fuse box to socket at rear.
Conduit for black and white wire
Cable tie clips (they even do magnetic ones)
American socket - to match socket on brake controller. I cut the American brake controller plug off and wired on a uk one and purchased a uk 's socket' I advise against this. I would never do it again. Just get an American socket to fit on tv.
Perhaps a new original tow socket as u I broke mine getting it open

If after reading this u still want to go ahead and do it. I'll write a 'how to' with photos.
Ps also consider fitting tekonsha brake away set
Ensure new hitch ball (right size) and adjusting plate to ensure right height and torque wrench to get it right tightness.
Also check existing brake wiring (visually for nicks and break down of insulation) and check functioning of brakes and re pack wheel bearings)
Old 12-07-2017, 12:37 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Brooklyn , New York
Thanks goatboy

So, my Audi Q7 2009 will most likely not have a cable ready to connect the break controller either.

I thought I needed a cable with a break signal to go into the break controller, but I can use a dongle instead connected to the cigarette lighter? That communicates wirelessly with the break controller on the back of the trailer?

Anyway, this sounds a lot easier, so please just send pictures and shopping list if you have time

Big thanks!!
Bjorn
Old 12-07-2017, 01:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
The brake controller he bought is completely and entirely on the trailer tongue. All it needs to function is 12v+ and 12v-. The "dongle" for the cigarette lighter he is talking about is a bluetooth device to set the brake controller and/or activate the manual brake. Once the brake controller is set, you can unplug the "dongle" from the cigarette lighter and the brake controller will function just fine.

I was going to use that particular brake controller on my new trailer, but I wound up buying a new truck that came with a factory installed brake controller.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:57 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Doubs , France
Hellooooo. .
I also imported a 1984 Airstream Sovereign 25 '.
I went to get her in the USA.
I made this topic :
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...ce-150153.html
I will also have all the problems of connection.
I'm going to the beginning to tow it with the car I brought back from the USA.
So, no connection problem now.
But I also want to be able to tow with another car.
A Chevrolet Suburban.
This one is equipped with lights and a European plug.
I am rebuilding part of the wiring.
I'm planning two connections.
A US connection and another European connection.
In France, old vehicles have a special status.
This allows me to keep the electric brakes, and US lights.
I'll do a system in the trailer for that with signals from a European car it makes the US signals.
This uses four relays.
Not done yet... This is in court ...
I have to write a topical on this and other work.
Landozoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:43 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1949 18' Trailwind
Currently Looking...
Brighton , Uk
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MMgRWVdv1raFoUnq1

I have made a start. I'll add to it when I can

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MMgRWVdv1raFoUnq1