Old 10-04-2014, 07:22 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Boothbay Harbor , Maine
We bought a 23fb at Colonial Airstream in NJ last year on which they installed a ProPride hitch. At the time, I had to order the ProPride and have it shipped to them. We had no problem with the installation and everything was done correctly.

kdinnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:42 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Colonial Airstream is a good dealer and they have a first rate service department. I suggest that you pay their price and check the installation when you get there. If you have issues with the work, they will make it right. No shop is perfect 100% of the time, the difference is in how they respond when things go wrong. Tony, head of Colonial's service department and is among the best.
Bruce

Old 10-04-2014, 08:44 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Why not take the tools you need and do the installation yourself at the dealer's place? Hopefully they would not object since you are buying a trailer from them. Couldn't hurt to suggest to them that is what you would like to do anyway! Save $500 and ensure it is installed to your satisfaction!

I haven't installed a PP but did install our Hensley - pretty straightforward and didn't take more than an hour or so from what I recall.

I think you said you installed one before, so you know exactly what is involved and what tools you would need.

Bonne chance ................. Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:23 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
ProPride is several hundred dollars less than a similar Hensley and designed as an easy do-it-yourself installation. It is. No drilling, bolt on install and there are several videos and step-by-step photos on the internet to walk you through it, and ProPride owner Sean is always willing to assist on the phone. You need something to lift and hold the heavy hitch head in place (most use a floor jack) and a large torque wrench, otherwise common hand tools.

With the Hensley design being around 20 years it is surprising how few rv shops are familiar with it.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:55 AM   #19

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I wholeheartedly agree with Wingeezer. I have not installed a ProPride, but I have personally installed my ten year old Hensley Arrow four different times as recently as the day before yesterday. We took delivery of our brand new 2015 Flying Cloud 25FB last Thursday at Dixie Airstream in DeFuniak Springs, Florida. I installed the Hensley on the new Airstream in the dealer's parking lot.

The Hensley installation is slightly more difficult than the ProPride in that you have to drill four holes in the tailer yoke to complete the installation. The rest of the installation is similar.

I agree that $500 seems a little steep to install a ProPride, but that is not the reason that I would install it myself. Most dealers do not install many of these complex hitch systems and, accordingly, don't know what they are doing. I install it myself mainly because I then know that it's done correctly.

My Hensley was originally installed on our new 2005 Safari 25FB by the Airstream dealer. It was not done correctly and I had to reinstall it and set it up properly. Since then, I installed the Hensley on our 2012 FC 23FB and reinstalled it on the 23FB in September at a campground in Moses Lake, Washington when the bearings in the main unit failed and Hensley sent me a new one.

Last Thursday, I removed the Hensley from our 23FB and installed it on the new 25FB in about two hours.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:27 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
I had my ProPride shipped to Colonial. I think the install was $400 and it did take them about 3 hours. Sop rate if I remember was $115 or $120. If it was summer I would do it myself the next. If it is raining or winter let them do it.
ProPride
NØVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:55 AM   #21
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
If it is at all possible and you have basic mechanical skills, I would seriously recommend doing it yourself. The assembly process is very educational and you will become familiar with the hitch and how its components interact.

If this is not possible, I would insist on watching the entire process with a copy of the instructions in hand. The ProPride is designed to be installed on many different trailers. So any installation is bound to have some "do I do this, or do I do that?" moments due to each trailer's uniqueness. I would want a voice in those decisions.

No matter what is said to the contrary, I seriously believe most individual owners will preform a task like this with more diligence and care than anyone just getting paid for it and never having to use it would. (especially if they are not being watched)

Keep in mind that some failure modes of a hitch as complicated as the ProPride can cause some white knuckle moments. I would not want to have any doubts about the correctness of the installation. Keep in mind they don't routinely install ProPrides, only occasionally.

Ken
Old 10-04-2014, 06:00 PM   #22
Tino

2013 27' FB International
Blainville , Quebec
Hello Ag,

Can you tell me how they fit the braket under the propane thank. Do they put some specer beetween the frame and the propane tank support or they drill two holl in the support...thanks
25' Airstream 2012
20' Airstream 2009
Tino643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tino643 View Post
Hello Ag,

Can you tell me how they fit the braket under the propane thank. Do they put some specer beetween the frame and the propane tank support or they drill two holl in the support...thanks

I apologize, but I don't remember that being an issue. That was over five years ago. If I had to install another ProPride it would be a whole new ball game. The trailer is in storage so I can't check it to see if an inspection will jog my old memory. The only thing I remember having to do is place a stack of washers underneath the propane tank cover top bracket so that it would not actually be forced down hard onto the mounting brackets for the WD jacks. This keeps the front of the tank cover from pinching a bundle of wires that goes under the front edge of the tank cover. That is documented somewhere in the very lengthy thread.

Ken
Old 10-04-2014, 06:38 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
I had my Propride shipped directly to the dealer and he didn't charge me for installation. Just included it as part of the initial purchase customer service. I was very pleased with that.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:06 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
I apologize, but I don't remember that being an issue. That was over five years ago. If I had to install another ProPride it would be a whole new ball game. The trailer is in storage so I can't check it to see if an inspection will jog my old memory. The only thing I remember having to do is place a stack of washers underneath the propane tank cover top bracket so that it would not actually be forced down hard onto the mounting brackets for the WD jacks. This keeps the front of the tank cover from pinching a bundle of wires that goes under the front edge of the tank cover. That is documented somewhere in the very lengthy thread.

Ken
Duh? Sorry thought we were here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ide-57179.html
Old 10-04-2014, 10:30 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tino643 View Post
Hello Ag,

Can you tell me how they fit the braket under the propane tank. Do they put some specer beetween the frame and the propane tank support or they drill two holl in the support...thanks
Quote:

Ken
Hi, Tino643; Let's see if I can correctly answer this question for Ken. The Classics use a different type of propane tank mount so no spacers or drilling are necessary. On a Safari like mine, if I had this type hitch, I would rather drill through the propane tank base than to use spacers. Spacing up the propane tank base plate would make securing you tanks about the same, but the tank cover would have to be re-adjusted somehow.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:06 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, Tino643; Let's see if I can correctly answer this question for Ken. The Classics use a different type of propane tank mount so no spacers or drilling are necessary. On a Safari like mine, if I had this type hitch, I would rather drill through the propane tank base than to use spacers. Spacing up the propane tank base plate would make securing you tanks about the same, but the tank cover would have to be re-adjusted somehow.
Bob,
Thanks for clarifying that for both of us,

Maybe I should patent my washer scheme. I could call them "Magic Airsteam Tank Cover Movers"

Ken
Old 10-04-2014, 11:43 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Bob,
Thanks for clarifying that for both of us,

Maybe I should patent my washer scheme. I could call them "Magic Airsteam Tank Cover Movers"

Ken
Hi, Ken; If you keep stealing money making opportunities from my ideas, I want 10 percent of the gross.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote