Old 09-24-2011, 03:04 PM   #29
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Based on the pictures, I would say that the TV and trailer crossed over the road and then impacted the guard rail. That would explain why the trailer landed on the side that it did. The guard rail is not damaged in the front of the pictures, but has several impact points past the wreck.

Everything at this point is purely speculation. Often an accident like this is the combination of several factors. The pictures are a graphic reminder to all of us that things can go terribly wrong when towing.

Please be careful out there...

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:40 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member
1966 17' Caravel
Metairie , Louisiana
Has anyone ruled out a failure of something on the trailer happening first causing the trailer to flip and whipping the TV with it? Axle failure? Blowout(s)?

brusby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:08 PM   #31
2005 28' International CCD
hitch receiver failure

i think about it every minute...since june when backing into a camping spot the receiver on my GMC....just fell off....i think what if i had been going down the highway at 60 or so and that sucker had....after many miles of stress ...just decided it had had enough and came unglued.....

to me if that happens...then the receiver and hitch plows down into the pavement and the trailer just starts flipping and the truck...hopefully out runs it......
and the Four P's(Paula, Phoenix and Peabody II and Pearl)…Peabody is here…..
2013 GMC sierra denali
WBCCI 2541

kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:28 PM   #32
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
King', it is the early '00's GM trucks that had the bad receivers and you got one, and Bob too. The tongue and whatever is attached to it may plow the road, but if the safety chains are attached to something that stays on the truck, it will follow you.

Richard, I thought about him crossing from the other side to hit the guard rail straight on, but he pulled over to the right to let people pass, so it must have been a 2 lane road. After the dust settled, the Airstream must have blocked the road.

Gene is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:31 PM   #33
Rivet Master
2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Very glad to hear nobody was seriously injured.

Appears the Staties are there. If they conduct an investigation, it may provide more insight (traffic accident investigations are public record). From the pix, there's no GPS on the EXIF data. Anybody know the location/county?
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:36 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member
2001 30' Classic S/O
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Helotes , Texas
Between Pipe Creek, TX and Bandera, TX. Bandera county Texas
lsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:36 PM   #35

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY

IMHO....If it looks like this, replace it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6 06 SUB HITCH.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	140907  
AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:43 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Wow. Glad no one was injured. There are certainly a few scenarios that could have played into this crash. From the description of out of control swaying just prior to loosing it. I might suspect improper trailer load distribution as the initial cause of the control issue. Regardless of the type of hitch, if you load you trailer to heavey in the rear you will loose control at speed with maneuvers. That being said. I have inspected my GMC factory hitch. Looks fine to me. However it is the stock tube type. I am going to replace my factory hitch with a Reese class v receiver #41930 on Monday. DIY 30 minute job. Cheep insurance after seeing what could happen. Thanks to every one for this wake up call.
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:09 PM   #37
Rivet Master
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I think we may never know what was the cause, and what was the result. We do know the rig was west bound, began to sway, crossed over to the eastbound side, hit the guard rail, the truck going over the rail, and as I said before, the trailer turned onto the curb side, the truck ended on the other side of the railing, and on the drivers side.

It is possible the truck rolled 1/4 turn to the Left, but the trailer most definately rolled 1/4 turn to the right. No matter if the truck rolled to the left, or right, it rolled either 1/2 turn farther than the trailer, or 1/2 turn the other direction.

There were no tire failures, and no axle failures.

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."-- Thomas Jefferson
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:40 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member
2007 23' Safari SE
Matawan , New Jersey
Hoo Boy! Sobering stuff for newbies like us. Thank heaven no one was seriously hurt.
Certainly plan to check and double check everything on a regular basis. Worried that we may not recognize a problem since we have so little experience. Paid very close attention today as they explained the hitch, sway bars etc. when we picked up the trailer from the dealership. Asked lots of questions.
Trying to educate ourselves as much as we can here on the forums and safety is our #1 priority.
Thanks for the information, folks. Forewarned is forearmed.
Claude & Marianne

2007 23' Safari SE Lounge (IdaJune)
'05 Toyota 4Runner LE 4.7 V8 4WD w/ tow package
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
Tin Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:36 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member
2000 27' Safari
Berkeley , California
Huge torque involved here to shear off the hitch receiver/compress the tubing and deflect the frame mounting plates, which indicates the trailer/TV were still connected at failure.

I must admit my limited flight training has brought me to the point of full inspection of my trailer rig prior to departure. I do the walk around...That means checking tire inflation, torque on wheel and shear bolts of hitch assembly,lubing WD bar sockets, and making sure ball socket connection is sound. As further evidence of "weird" behavior, I have "Remove Prior to Flight" flags attached to all my stabilizer jack pads deployed when I camp.

I am truly happy our fellow traveller survived this ordeal. Drive safe and sensible and enjoy the journey.

I think Andy could repair the damage...
'00 Safari 27' Rear Twin
'03 Ford F-250 7.3TD/CC/LB 4x2 Bio-Diesel
"Hmmm... Smells like French Fries!"
Prodigy/Enkay/Hensley/Solar/LED lighting
AIR 4598 / WBCCI FCU 8579/
EAA 872814
BeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:44 PM   #40
Rivet Master
1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Also being no expert...I'm in SteveH's camp here...

From the pics, it seems...

1. the sway started
2. it got to the point that the trailer whipped far enough 'out' to lay over on its side
3. the TV was then just along for the 'ride', and as the trailer 'twisted' onto it's side, this 'twisting' motion rotated the tubular member on the trucks hitch, breaking away the welds, separating the two vehicles...
4. you can clearly see in the pic of the rear of the TV, that the tubular part of the trucks hitch has been 'reformed' to those 'twisted' configurations...

I think a TV hitch that uses a heavy 'box' member between the frame rails (as apposed to a 'tube' member) could handle the 'twisting' moment much better than seen here...

This extreme 'twisting' still has to cause something to 'break' in a situation like this, one could only hope that the trailer coupler would be the weaker link to break apart, or uncouple, therefore keeping the safety chains still attached to the TV!

Looking again at the two pics, regardless of the 'cause' of the sway/accident, the FACT remains that the attachment point of the TV's hitch receiver to the round tubular cross member was the ultimate 'weak point' in this hook-up - that's where it broke loose! That's not acceptable, as you also lose the attaching point of the safety chains!

If I had a TV hitch with a tubular cross member similar to this one, I would REPLACE it before towing my treasured Airstream ONE MORE MILE!

I think that should be the highlighted message...!

Nasty stuff, in any event, ruining one's day - but 'stuff' can be replaced easier than one's body - glad you're all OK...
Ray & Pat; Morada, CA
Mexray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:58 PM   #41
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Originally Posted by Tin Trekkers View Post
Hoo Boy! Sobering stuff for newbies like us. Thank heaven no one was seriously hurt.
Certainly plan to check and double check everything on a regular basis. Worried that we may not recognize a problem since we have so little experience. Paid very close attention today as they explained the hitch, sway bars etc. when we picked up the trailer from the dealership. Asked lots of questions.
Trying to educate ourselves as much as we can here on the forums and safety is our #1 priority.
Thanks for the information, folks. Forewarned is forearmed.
Hang in there Tin Trekkers, you are approaching this exactly right. Don't let it scare you but do let it make you pay attention. Even veterans can get a little lax and that is usually when things go wrong.

I don't know how folks post from two different contributors, but in the post right after yours someone talks about walk arounds and "remove before flight" flags. My flight experience taught me the same thing. And my dear wife made me some "REMOVE BEFORE STREAMIN" flags. I put one on the curb side front stabilizer, one on the steps and one on that darn hot water heater door to remind me to cut it off.

None of those would have prevented this, but walk-arounds are the point. It is all any of us can do. I am sure people wreck often, but you sure do not see this often enough to make me scared. "More Cautious" is the key for me.

I am so glad they are safe!!!
Chuck & Skye
Rock and Roll Will Never Die!

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:47 PM   #42
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
I will probably take some heat over this, but I will say it anyway.

This is not a 23 or 25, it its a 31. That is a significant difference in length.

You can quote all the Toyota specs to me you wish, but you would never convince me to tow a 31 foot trailer with one.

That, in my opinion, is a lot of tail to wag a small to medium size dog, Hensley or not. If you tow a long trailer with a smaller TV, a lot of the margin for error is deminished and everything must be done with that in mind.

I do not know whether or not there was any equipment failure or what the driver actually did. I do believe that if the driver moved over a bit too quiclkly and slowed at the same time, it could have induced a sway as mentioned.

I have never used a hensley, but I tow with a Propride. I have experienced fairly stong sideways forces when braking and turning at the same time,especially when the brake controller is set lightly.. I could see that inducing a fairly significant sway with a long trailer and light tow vehicle at or near expressway speeds.

I am not saying that this is what happened, I am simply saying that I think it could happen with the scenario I described.

Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote