Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2017, 04:48 PM   #21

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I have been towing trailers on a ball for fifty year now. The coupler to ball lock up problem has always been an annoying issue. I have tried just about all of the methods mentioned. All work; pick your favorite.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 05:10 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
The fact that your TV has a detachable tow bar, and you live in Ontario, makes me guess that your TV is a sedan or SUV and you got the set-up from Can-Am? If the following "simple fix" doesn't work, Andy can talk you through it. The first time baffles all of us. What I learned is that every ball/hitch has its "sweet spot". Put some grease on top of the housing where the latch will slide to open (just makes it easier); hitch it back to the TV, and then slowly raise the hitch with the power jack while trying to push the latch forward and lifting at the same time. When it hits the height of the sweet spot, i.e., where there is no upward or downward pressure on the ball, it will release. If it still resists, the other variable is forward or backward pressure on the ball/hitch, which can be relieved by moving your TV slightly fore or aft. ***IMPORTANT***: MAKE SURE THE TRAILER IS CHOCKED BEFORE UNHITCHING (Don't ask me how I learned the importance of this...) Good luck and Happy Streaming!
Old 05-06-2017, 05:37 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
Often a shot of WD-40 makes the difference for me! All the above advice about chocking the trailer wheels and releasing any binding is standard procedure but just a little less friction in the locking mechanism can make it easy.
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:38 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
First: What kind of hitch are you using? Different hitches, different reasons for your problem.

Equalizer Hitch with bars...? You must remove the tension of the bars, swing them off to the side and then proceed with the previous advice. I have yet to find a ball resisting being disconnected. Since you were able to remove the shank from the tow vehicle, you probably have some other kind of hitch.

What kind of Hitch are you using?
Was it installed by the Dealership?

Good luck. Once you solve this issue, you will move on to other interior questions in the future.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:00 AM   #25
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Hey, Waninae39
What is the result of your questions here?
cwf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:16 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Hey, Waninae39
What is the result of your questions here?

This seems to be another of the 'lack of information provided by the OP and lack of followup of the OP towards the final solution'.

Obviously, to me... what is a 2" shank? Must be a sub compact tow vehicle. There is such a lack of information that any of us are wasting our time trying to help someone who has no clue.

Much like greasing lug nuts, leaving water in the trailer's water system in the winter and other novice errors... this one with a new Airstream and a rusty ball tells me to step away and leave this entire Thread to die a natural death.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:38 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post

This seems to be another of the 'lack of information provided by the OP and lack of followup of the OP towards the final solution'.

Obviously, to me... what is a 2" shank? Must be a sub compact tow vehicle. There is such a lack of information that any of us are wasting our time trying to help someone who has no clue.

Much like greasing lug nuts, leaving water in the trailer's water system in the winter and other novice errors... this one with a new Airstream and a rusty ball tells me to step away and leave this entire Thread to die a natural death.
2" shank was the standard, until recently, now it is 2.5" on 3/4 and 1 ton pickups......
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 07:36 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
2" shank was the standard, until recently, now it is 2.5" on 3/4 and 1 ton pickups......
My F350 has a 3" shank as standard, with the insert to fit a 'sloppy' 2.5" shank fit. I have a Thread concerning 'Sloppy Shanks' and had to replace my 'old 2 1/2" shank with a 3" to tighten up the fit.

A 'rusty ball'? Towing a 2017 22' Sport gives me the impression that an old hitch is being used and even the ball may be the wrong diameter.

OP's Post #20: "it was very stiff and seemed to be rusted in

in daylight i could see better

.it was a tough slide, them lifted easily"

I am led to believe that this is a used system, ball that is rusted, ungreased, wrong size and should have been replaced when the trailer was purchased.

We are eager to 'help' but sometimes what we imagine from our own experiences of possibilities is giving too much credit to the OP. Something does not make any sense. Not that my statements make any sense, without additional information.

I met a couple who had a Bambi being towed behind a UHaul truck. The ball was for a UHaul trailer, the Bambi came loose from the ball and broke the jack. If it were not for the chains, the Bambi would have been 'on its own'. New Airstream owners and a lesson learned.

You need to know what you are doing when towing a trailer of any kind....
Old 05-13-2017, 05:07 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Had exact same experience ....

With our brand new 2017 23D. Hitch setup is new, too. Called the dealership and they reminded me that the hitch lever must slide forward before you can lift it. Also you have to adjust the jack height so there's minimal force between the TV and trailer (neither one is trying to raise/lower the other). Then the lever will slide and lift easily.
Please put the hammer away
KK4YZ is online now   Reply With Quote