Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-06-2015, 06:40 AM   #1
BW1
2 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Rockwood , Ontario
Can You Remove Part of Hensley for Towing Due to Brakedown?

I had a brake down of my tow vehicle a few weeks ago, thankfully we were pulled into a rest area. I called my tow service and they assured me both the truck and trailer could be towed. I mentioned there was a Hensley hitch on it when they asked what ball size I required.

My truck was towed away fine, the tow truck driver thought he could pull the A/S behind the flatbed but could not because of the Hensley.

Sent another truck to tow trailer and again not able to hook up to Hensley.
The driver was wondering if the Hensley could come off so he could get to the ball hitch under it. I am sure it does, but no idea how.

So my questions are, how do you remove Hensley so someone with a ball hitch can help you out in a pinch? Or is there something tow drivers should have to hook up to one? Other than a very large flatbed and would an A/S's bumper scrape across the ground when being pulled onto it?

Thank goodness for friends with pick up trucks... that's how we finally got out of our dilemma
BW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Remove the struts, the WD bars, and drop the entire head from the coupler. You can the tow on any conventional ball setup.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
To add ...... after removing struts and weight distributing bars, you could leave the main body of the Hensley attached to the stinger on the back of your tow vehicle.

This way, no heavy lifting to do - at least until you want to take it off the truck later if in fact you have to do that - you might not need to, depending on what your problem is. If you dot need to, then it would be very easy to re-install to the trailer, again with no heavy lifting to do.

Recently, I brought our Hensley home from our trailer which is stored 15 miles from our house. I was bringing t home to clean and paint.

I removed the Hensley this way and drove the truck home with the Hensley hung on the back of the truck.

I think this is what I would try to do if I had a break down on a trip and had to have the truck and the trailer towed. Hasn't happened yet! (Damn, now I've done it!)

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote