Old 04-09-2010, 06:37 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
had a reese dual cam and towed a 28 safari with my diesel excursion.same truck towing my 31 with a hensley,is not even comparable.tractor trailers on the highway with the reese would blow the truck and trailer all over the place.with the hensley the trucks sucking the trailer in as they pass is nonexistant.have plenty of towing experience and with your setup i would look for a used hensley or propride,if cost is the issue.been there and have done that with small underpowered underweighted vehicles.not a place i want to go back too.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:28 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
thanks X, I appreciate your comments and experience. I do understand the weight to weight issue when it comes to a TV and the trailer and that makes sense as well. I also noticed that the horrific accidents posted had to do with interactions between trailers and passing semis.

I suppose the best idea here is to remain diligent to the conditions you find yourself in. Keep the speed down, watch for approaching trucks, be careful of windy conditions and watch out on those downhill runs. I personally keep my speed well below 65 on the best of days and closer to 55 in windy and hilly conditions.

Safe towing to all.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:42 AM   #17
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
So are you saying that towing a 25 footer with a half ton pickup is a bad thing? Please enlighten us.
But the Colorado is not a half ton pickup, is it?

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #18

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I wouldn't really consider a Colorado a half to pick-up, either. I put those in the mini-truck class. Eveeryone else can do what they want, but I would not pull any 7000# trailer with one of these little trucks.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:29 AM   #19
_

. , .
right, the colorado is something LESS than a half ton...

it's in the same grouping as the ranger, tacoma and frontier sized trucks.

again the towing rating is 2-4000 lbs.

the trailer is 5500-7300 lbs.

mgm has the double cab version so it is the LONGEST wheelbase in that class and THAT is a positive.

he seems to be AWARE of MOST of the real and potential issues...

AWARENESS is all we can really hope to provoke in an online world.

yes climbing the c/d will be a challenge, so too will going DOWN each and every long, winding roads.

altitude will negatively impact the 5 cylinder and heat will eat the tranny.

what many folks don't realize is just how much IMPACT the WIND has on towing...

20-40 mph headwinds feel like an ANCHOR dragging on the rig...

move those winds to EITHER SIDE and the experience is pretty intense (now wishing FOR an anchor)

the west is 1. high, 2. steep, 3. WINDY and 4. HIGH SPEED for the most part.

boat towing is SO MUCH DIFFERENT than towing a tall aluminum box with rounded corners...

but he seems committed to going SLOW and so on.

still that buddy with a d-max would make the trip a LOT more relaxed

and they could CARRY the stuff that makes rv travel FUN (including anchors)

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:59 PM   #20
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
ravenna , Ohio
I take heed to caution, and the comments from everyone. So much to the fact, that i test drove a Silverado today. Its a used 2000 Silverado ext. cab 1500- 4x4 with the stock towing package.

I could definatley feel the increased power and at $4500.00 i can swing the purchase price and still hang onto my Colorado.... as my gas friendly daily driver and dedicate the Silverado to towing the stream

For the record, i like my little truck and i didnt mean to sound foolish with my towing plans. I m new to this and hence the outreach for advice and comments.

As far the boat towing accolades, i was simply trying to define that i have experience towing and practicing safe driving techniques while on the highway with added weight. And even with my meager Airstream towing experience, i fully agree that RV towing is in a league of its own. So i'm on the same page with everyone.

I mentioned my Tail wagging experience with Bambi, and i don't wish for that to happen again.

I'm learning as i go, and have been convinced that i a larger tow vehicle is the best choice, REGARDLESS of Hitch.

So i'm gonna sleep on the Silverado and go from here.

I appreciate everyones input, and just so everyone knows. I did purchase an Equalizer.

The extra money i have in my pocket, i can now dedicate towards the larger tow vehicle.

I'll throw my 2 cents in about the 1/2 ton trucks. As that is what i'm hoping to bump up to. I have read a great deal of threads, and i think each crash story can be attributed to an array of variables. And although i have no data to cross reference or review, i would say that its pretty hard to blame them soley on the TV, especially when they were with adequate ones. Such as in the posts that were mentioned.

I really believe that safe driving is a HUGE factor, if not the largest one while towing. And my angels have have helped me out once or twice, and since then i pride myself in safety, So please keep the advice and ideas coming in.

As for me, i have 8 lifes left. If you dont count a few scares from Iraq.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScannedImage005.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	99860  
Old 04-09-2010, 07:34 PM   #21
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
I tow a 5300 lb (curb weight) 25' trailer with an '07 Titan and I wouldn't want to tow anything bigger of heavier with it... I wouldn't consider towing the trailer with a Colorado, Tacoma or Frontier. That said, I've sucessfully towed a variety of Airstreams with a variety of half and three-quarter ton vehicles using a Reese Dual-Cam. If you are determined to spend the money for one of the expensive hitches, from the testimonials, they'll do you well. There are thousands and thousands of Dual-Cams and Equalizers out there with millions of miles of successful towing. It's all in the setup and weight distribution. A properly set up WDH/sway control hitch works great. A poorly set up one is probably worse than not having one at all.

Roger
Old 04-09-2010, 08:48 PM   #22
_

. , .
well once again michael you seem to be a VERY sensible fella...

and IF u like the colo', keep it as intended, rather than tearing it up by overloading.

i'm in the "vehicle for each purpose" school of thought too...

when space allows and a good option exists...

the used 1/2 ton is a MUCH better choice, like 10 x better.

and that capacity, space and MULEness means one can TAKE the fun stuff along and carry water.

the stream will tow better with water.

flushing the toilet and making coffee and taking a shower while ON THE ROAD are things that make 'streaming FUN...
_________

along with your keen eye for junk

i hope you've got that don't pick a maintenance disaster truck finding skill...

don't forget the camera for this epic adventure.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:14 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
carson city , Nevada
mgm,

I am an Equalizer owner, would go with the Reese dual cam next time. If you have not purchased the Equalizer yet, you might reread some of Andy's comments and others re the Equalizer. Shopping price is not something you want to do especially for the (seemingly) fragile Airstream tongue and body integrity issues.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:00 PM   #24
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
ravenna , Ohio
All set...broke down and bought a new truck. 2007 Silverado 1500 LTZ, i searched the eastern seaboard for the best deal and flew down to North Carolina last weekend and drove her home.

It has a 6.0l and should pull my Airstream alot better then the 3.5l Colorado.

30 days or so, until i head west.

Still have to sync up the equalizer with my new truck, but i think i should be pretty safe now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4260863.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	101914   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4260861.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	294.4 KB
ID:	101915  

Old 05-06-2010, 06:11 PM   #25
_

. , .
congrats on the new ride michael...

gotta love new trucks,

this will be a NICE towing combo.

cheers
2air'

Old 05-09-2010, 11:50 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
danville , California
I could see a leaf spring snapping in half under those kind of loads. That truck has no ability to SAFELY tow that trailer. On flats and minor hills MYBE but over the rockies and serria nevadas not a chance. On those kind of grades you need a larger TV for a trailer that size and large starts at most half ton pickups or suvs. TV weight and wheel base has alot to do with how stable it is, or atleat in my experience it has been like that and you have niether in your favor.

If you want to make that trip safely by an old beater half ton or larger pickup get it sound mechanical condition and make the trip.

Thats a good lookin new truck you got there as well.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:08 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm View Post
All set...broke down and bought a new truck. 2007 Silverado 1500 LTZ, i searched the eastern seaboard for the best deal and flew down to North Carolina last weekend and drove her home.

It has a 6.0l and should pull my Airstream alot better then the 3.5l Colorado.

30 days or so, until i head west.

Still have to sync up the equalizer with my new truck, but i think i should be pretty safe now.
Very nice ...
Old 12-30-2011, 11:19 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Slidell , Louisiana
Just hitch comment fyi: Tow 28' Flying Cloud with F250 20k+ miles each year with no problems but recently switched from EZ Lift wd hitch to Reese Straight Line Dual Cam and noticed significant improvement in stability feel in wind and when being passed by heavy trucks. Just saying.