Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2011, 11:41 PM   #1
Hillbilly Hagrid

1973 29' Ambassador
Stanford , Kentucky
Unhappy Brokenhearted and confused..is there a hitch system that will give me some distance

First let me say thanks and introduce myself....This forum taught me a lot about what I needed to look for in my search for my dream Airstream...My name is Bubba and Im an Air-cooled VW mech in Lexington Ky..

I searched for years for my dream Airstream..... I brought home a 29ft Ambassador tonight...I noticed when I was turning that the bumper of my truck looked very close to the trailer.... then when I tried to back it into my driveway I found that I can only turn a very short amount before the bumper dug into the side of my dream Airstream tearing a hole in it..I was sick....

I drive a 2001 F350 Diesel Dually with a Reading utility bed...the bed and bumper are exactly as wide as the Airstream.....so you see the problem..

My question is....is there a hitch system that will give me some distance between my truck and my Airtream? I couldn't use the funky hitch sway system that came with it because my truck was to high..so I used a cheap Reese drop hitch on it to get it home....

Its on the street with a dent/hole in it... I cant back it in anywhere like this...please help...
KyMoonshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyMoonshine View Post
First let me say thanks and introduce myself....This forum taught me a lot about what I needed to look for in my search for my dream Airstream...My name is Bubba and Im an Air-cooled VW mech in Lexington Ky..

I searched for years for my dream Airstream..... I brought home a 29ft Ambassador tonight...I noticed when I was turning that the bumper of my truck looked very close to the trailer.... then when I tried to back it into my driveway I found that I can only turn a very short amount before the bumper dug into the side of my dream Airstream tearing a hole in it..I was sick....

I drive a 2001 F350 Diesel Dually with a Reading utility bed...the bed and bumper are exactly as wide as the Airstream.....so you see the problem..

My question is....is there a hitch system that will give me some distance between my truck and my Airtream? I couldn't use the funky hitch sway system that came with it because my truck was to high..so I used a cheap Reese drop hitch on it to get it home....

Its on the street with a dent/hole in it... I cant back it in anywhere like this...please help...
There are two things you can do.

1. Use a ball mount that has a longer square bar.

2. Install a hitch box on the front of your truck.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
First the not so awful news. Your lower panels are pretty easy to replace. You could even take it to Jackson Center Ohio to the factory - once you solve the hitch issue.

Secondly, look at a Reese dual cam hitch with an adjustable trunnion... It'll add about 8 inches distance. A ProPride or a Hensley would add a few inches too. You could always have something custom made in the worst case - or you could even replace the tongue of the Airstream with a longer one. It's a fair sized welding job but not impossible.

You'll get past this,
Old 02-08-2011, 04:03 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Venice , Florida
My F-250 has the same problem on the back bumper. I have a front hitch like Andy suggested. It is great. It makes it easy to get into tight spots too.

DougZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:12 AM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
There a a number of alternatives.

Starting with the most drastic well you could use the TorkLift Superhitch which is available in variable extensions up to 60" long. The longer ones are less stable so you don't want to overdo it but if you really need some extra length here you go:

Torklift web site

I use and recommend the Propride hitch which will move the pivot point a little to the rear, maybe by a foot or so. That might be enough.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:38 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

I sorry about your pain. Self-inflicted dings like this are really disheartening. Possibly, the easiest and least expensive solution is to get a hitch extension as is used by some truck campers. It is simply a one foot or two foot extension that goes into your tow vehicle's receiver and has another 2" receiver on the other end. Truck campers use these to tow a small boat or utility trailer behind their truck camper. These would not be sufficient to tow an Airstream on the highway, but may be suitable for temporary use for the purpose of backing the Airstream and providing sufficient distance from the tow vehicle.

For the road, a Hensley Arrow Hitch System, would add about a foot of additional distance from the tow vehicle.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:11 AM   #7
Hillbilly Hagrid

1973 29' Ambassador
Stanford , Kentucky
Thanks guys for the help.... I am going to take it over to my local Hitch and trailer shop today and see what they can do to get me in my driveway..then Ill look into some of these hitches you have recommended.... wow the prices on some of them are crazy expensive..will I need sway and load distribution etc? my truck is a bear...it doesn't even know the Airsteam is back there... Airstream came with an antique looking hitch and two long bars with short chains...I suspect its an old load system of some type......
Old 02-08-2011, 07:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
The antique looking hitch, if the square post to receiver ball piece, is a rare piece, seems like trailers often get transferred without them... and if you have the complete assembly should be used...
Old 02-08-2011, 08:01 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Air Safe hitch

Hello and Welcome
Check out Air Safe Hitch .. we have this with a dual cam reese setup... love it.
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:52 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your mishap.

As an air-cooled VW tech, what do you work on? The early rear engine models?

Our son wants to be an Audi/VW technician and we have been wondering how to approach his training. He is an 18 year old 100% home schooled student. Our older son went the traditional college route but this son's career path has us a bit baffled.
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Welcome - You can try one of these extra long receiver shanks. I use one of these and it moves my AS back far enough so I can drop the tailgate of my pickup without hitting the elect. jack. It's a bit pricey but works great for me. Equal-i-zer Shank - 4 Drop, 8 Rise x 18 Length - $149.99

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #12
Hillbilly Hagrid

1973 29' Ambassador
Stanford , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkasten View Post
Welcome - You can try one of these extra long receiver shanks. I use one of these and it moves my AS back far enough so I can drop the tailgate of my pickup without hitting the elect. jack. It's a bit pricey but works great for me. Equal-i-zer Shank - 4 Drop, 8 Rise x 18 Length - $149.99
do you tow your rig down the highway with this? or just use it to back up?

I went to my local RV Stealership and purchased a $50.00 18" extension to get it into my driveway....worked excellent....but I now have to approach what set-up to use to get the AS back far enough from my TV so I don't bind it into my bumper turning corners and backing up....it need to be a solid set-up as I plan to really take the AS for a long drive.....
Old 02-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #13
Hillbilly Hagrid

1973 29' Ambassador
Stanford , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird's Nest View Post
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your mishap.

As an air-cooled VW tech, what do you work on? The early rear engine models?

Our son wants to be an Audi/VW technician and we have been wondering how to approach his training. He is an 18 year old 100% home schooled student. Our older son went the traditional college route but this son's career path has us a bit baffled.
I work on air-cooled rear engine Beetles and Buses mostly.... I own a Thing and a lot of other VW's as well......

I was taught by an old hippie VW guy long ago...lol

My friend is an Audi tech and loves it...some really complicated stuff
Old 02-15-2011, 03:37 PM   #14
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I'm just not clear on why you are having a problem. I have an '06 Dodge single wheel 3500 megacab, diesel. It has a short bed factory setup. I have the factory hitch and also a superhitch that was added on. It sits below the factory receiver, same length. Perhaps my trailer has an extra long "A" frame or yours has a short one but I don't have any trouble with my turns. I've been into some fairly tight spots and get in and out with little manouvering so I just don't see the issue. Does your bed have an extra long overhang ????? So long as I am sitting straight I can drop my tailgate and clear the electric lift also. As suggested there are some alternatives that may help but beware of adding a longer draw bar as it will alter your towing dynamics. It may, however, be a relatively easy and inexpensive solution. I hope you can overcome this issue without too much trouble and enjoy many miles of towing and camping. We sure do enjoy ours.

As an aside I hope you will plan a trip to your own Kentucky Land Bet. the Lakes. It is nearby for you and a great family camping location. Enjoyed it ourselves summer before last.

Many happy miles, Be Safe

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:24 PM   #15
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Oh, and bye-the-way. Sorry about your mishap. When we got our 30' Excella it also has a dimple on the front right lower panel. In an earlier posting Foiled Again had mentioned about having the panel replaced. If anyone has had one replaced any ideas of an approximate cost to have one done ????? Is it worth taking it to the factory to have it done and about how much, and how long ????? I hadn't really thought about it. I've just been living with it but now you've got me thinking about fixing it.

Thanks all, this is a great forum, Keep it up.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 02-15-2011, 11:20 PM   #16
Hillbilly Hagrid

1973 29' Ambassador
Stanford , Kentucky
The problem is my utilty bed...its as wide as my AS...and the AS has a very short tongue..... I can barely pull out onto the highway before the bumper is into the AS.......

This is my truck with a car trailer that has a very long tongue...

Above photo is to show you how wide bumper is...and yes I was very stuck..lol
Old 02-16-2011, 12:02 PM   #17
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Thumbs up

I see your's is very squared off. Mine is factory and is perhaps a bit more rounded. In it's prior life I know my trailer had a new "A" frame installed by the previous owner. The battery box had leaked battery acid and corroded the inner ends of the "A" frame. So he had it cut out and a new and heavier one installed. It is perhaps also longer. I just wouldn't know. Hopefully you have found some options that won't break the bank so you can safely manage. I like the Old VW Bus on the trailer. I have a friend in Kansas that's been wanting one of those for some time. If you have one or know of one that's been re-conditioned let me know. I'll put him in contact. Just gotta love those VW air cooled motors. Like the energizer bunny.....

I have a question for the forum. I've been hanging around here for about 2 years or so. After reading a few posts I can usually pick up the lingo that has evolved here as it pertains to Airstreams. I just have not been able to figure just what the term SOB is referring to. I gather that it in a refrence to trailers of manuf. other than Airstream. But just what does it mean ??????

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 02-16-2011, 12:30 PM   #18
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
SOB=Some Other Brand or Same Old Box.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:50 PM   #19
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Thumbs up

Thanks for that. Would never of thought of that one.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 04-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Troy , Texas
Welcome...I recently purchased the Airsafe hitch...I had to extend my power umbilical cord and chains about a foot...I don't know if that distance is adequate...but, if it is ...it would certainly add safety to your extended use of your AS as stated....Airsafe.com
excella99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, f-350