Old 02-15-2011, 05:24 PM   #15
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Oh, and bye-the-way. Sorry about your mishap. When we got our 30' Excella it also has a dimple on the front right lower panel. In an earlier posting Foiled Again had mentioned about having the panel replaced. If anyone has had one replaced any ideas of an approximate cost to have one done ????? Is it worth taking it to the factory to have it done and about how much, and how long ????? I hadn't really thought about it. I've just been living with it but now you've got me thinking about fixing it.

Thanks all, this is a great forum, Keep it up.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:20 AM   #16
Hillbilly Hagrid

1973 29' Ambassador
Stanford , Kentucky
The problem is my utilty bed...its as wide as my AS...and the AS has a very short tongue..... I can barely pull out onto the highway before the bumper is into the AS.......

This is my truck with a car trailer that has a very long tongue...

Above photo is to show you how wide bumper is...and yes I was very stuck..lol

Old 02-16-2011, 01:02 PM   #17
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Thumbs up

I see your's is very squared off. Mine is factory and is perhaps a bit more rounded. In it's prior life I know my trailer had a new "A" frame installed by the previous owner. The battery box had leaked battery acid and corroded the inner ends of the "A" frame. So he had it cut out and a new and heavier one installed. It is perhaps also longer. I just wouldn't know. Hopefully you have found some options that won't break the bank so you can safely manage. I like the Old VW Bus on the trailer. I have a friend in Kansas that's been wanting one of those for some time. If you have one or know of one that's been re-conditioned let me know. I'll put him in contact. Just gotta love those VW air cooled motors. Like the energizer bunny.....

I have a question for the forum. I've been hanging around here for about 2 years or so. After reading a few posts I can usually pick up the lingo that has evolved here as it pertains to Airstreams. I just have not been able to figure just what the term SOB is referring to. I gather that it in a refrence to trailers of manuf. other than Airstream. But just what does it mean ??????

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 02-16-2011, 01:30 PM   #18
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
SOB=Some Other Brand or Same Old Box.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:50 PM   #19
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Thumbs up

Thanks for that. Would never of thought of that one.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 04-21-2011, 05:24 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
Troy , Texas
Welcome...I recently purchased the Airsafe hitch...I had to extend my power umbilical cord and chains about a foot...I don't know if that distance is adequate...but, if it is ...it would certainly add safety to your extended use of your AS as stated....Airsafe.com
Old 04-23-2011, 08:38 AM   #21
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
SOB=Some Other Brand or Same Old Box.
Or Square Old Box.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
I use an AirSafe hitch which moves the trailer back about 10". It has definitely mad it a lot easier and safer to back into my storage slot and I can do a U-turn easily in our cul-de-sac.

With a fairly light trailer and heavy truck, the AirSafe hitch will make it a lot easier on the trailer and prevent popped rivets. It also makes concrete expansion joints a lot more comfortable.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:34 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Ky', I don't know where you are on this, but once you have the hitch situation solved, the hole can be patched with a piece of aluminum and then you can buy rock guards (It think official name is "segment protectors") to put over the lower corners. They take the abuse of gravel and truck corners and protect the body. No one has to see the hole that way and the repair will be cheap compared to replacing a panel. The rock guards aren't cheap, but they help protect the trailer. There are also rock guards for the front windows and they are also a good investment, especially if you have curved windows.

Our taillights have hit the rock guards and put a dimple in one side—the lenses of the taillight is stronger than the rock guards and didn't break. They are made of stainless steel. The ones for the windows are dark plastic.

Gene
Old 04-26-2011, 08:54 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I actually replaced my rear bumper on my 2008 Ford F-250 with a South Texas Outfitters rear bumper and have had it on now since I got my truck in fall 2007. It also has the rear sensor capacity that slide right in from the old bumper. I had my local body shop guy do the transfer for free and gave him my old(new) rear bumper.
I did the same thing on my front bumper as well. Love their workmanship.

South Texas Outfitters - San Antonio's Premier Truck Accessory & Top Drive Manufacturer
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:12 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Sorry about your mishap. I had the same problem with my 16 ft flat bed. I have a truck (diamond plate aluminm box) box on the tongue of the trailer. Before I realized it I had bent the box with the bumper and broke out the left tail lite assembly.
IT appears you have two options. ONE LOSE THE Truck with the Service box as a tow vehicle . or TWO buy a longer ball mount setup like I did. I moved the trailer back about 8 inches and I can now turn and drop the tailgate. I think you will have to move back even farther. You have already received some excellent suggestions but in any case you have to move that trailer back one way or another.I would suggest that in moving the trailer back ( longer hitch) that you do incorprate some sort of sway control.In changing hitches also remember to take into consideration the drop you need to keep the trailer level.
GOOD LUCK
ROGER

7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, f-350