Old 08-30-2010, 12:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Sunriver , Oregon
Broken Equalizer Hitch Bracket

Has anyone experienced their Equalizer Hitch mounting bracket breaking? Ours broke as we turned into a gas station driveway. There appears to be some rust inside the metal where it broke. According to Equalizer it was mounted correctly. Equalizer has sent us new parts at no charge and asked me to return the broken bracket for inspection. Note that this bracket was in service for one-year with inside storage and maybe 3,000 miles of use.

Of course it broke in the middle of nowhere with no replacement parts available. Equalizer advised us to run with just one WD bar in place which gave us about half the weight distribution of both bars working.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EqualizerHitch.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	109763

2010 30FT Flying Cloud
2011 Ford F250 Diesel

ShinyRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
If there was rust on a part of the fracture surface, that indicates the bracket had partially failed at a previous time. If there are beach marks in that area, it indicates that the failure was a fatigue fracture. If the failure surface is flat, without any reduction in size showing elongation, it indicates the metal was too low an unheattreated quality and undersized for the occasional load that it saw. A red powdery deposit may not be rust but what is called fretting corrosion. It means the surface was fractured and had significant movement over time to form the fretting powder. The starting point of the rusty failure surface will show you where the loads came from which caused the original failure. If this happened on one side only, I would definitely replace both sides and microscopically or penetrant examine the other bracket to determine the cause of the failure. This kind of failure analysis is usually left to qualified failure analyst mechanical engineer.

dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
billions and billions served

Hi ShineyRoad, ol' bill here, I met you at the Kelso campground, and we discussed your equalizer failure a little. You could have it analyzed, spend weeks and/or $ for it, or you could put it back together with the new parts and just forget it. I am sure there are not billions of these in service, but there are a lot of them, and if this failure were common we'd all know about it. I'd treat it like a one time goofy failure, and get on with life. Nifty trailer, by the way, I really liked the up front layout. Take care.
ol' bill
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Turning into a driveway, if it lifts the front of your tow vehicle, greatly increases the tension on the w.d. bars. Especially if the w.d. bars are oversized, or they are adjusted with too much tension.

There may not be a flaw in the bracket, and its failure saved bending the A-frame on your trailer.

Take another look at the size and adjustment of your weight distribution hitch, to be sure it is correct and properly set up for your rig, as well as replacing the bracket.
dkottum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
The folks at Equalizer care about their customers. Sending replacement at no charge is not very common these days as most companies don't really care after you spend your money. When I purchased my Equalizer hitch the shank needed one more hole to get the hitch ball low enough to work with my Trade Wind. I had called the company before I bought the hitch to make sure the "standard" shank would work with my TV and trailer. They said it would but when I received the hitch the ball height was early 2 inches too high in the lowest mounting hole. I called the customer service rep and he swapped out my shank for one a little longer for no charge. I can't say enough about the service.
Bruce & Rachel
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Maybe the 27's are different, or maybe the angle of the photo creates an illusion, but it looks like the brackets are back as far as the spare tire carrier. I think I can see the battery box too. On our 25', the brackets are near the front edge of the battery box and the tire carrier is further behind the battery box. It looks like the brackets are at least 4" further back than on ours. On ours, the brackets are a few inches behind the propane cover. The Equalizer manual (available online) gives the proper distance from the center of the coupler—something like 27" (maybe).

Could the brackets have been tightened down too much? Those bolts are supposed to be torqued to 50 lbs. according to what Equalizer told me. Even at 50 lbs., they can slide forward and have to be relocated.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote