Old 09-26-2008, 08:11 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Rock Hill , South Carolina
For what it's worth, I have been told by three RV dealers (the last one being an Airstream dealer) that it's good to have the breakaway cable longer than the chains. Two of them have even independantly suggested pulling the cable through two or three links of one of the chains to help keep the cable from dragging the ground or cathching easily on something. Then pull the remaining slack of the cable through the links in the chain and attach it to the tow vehicle.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:47 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Another parameter for break away cable length concerns newer high-tech electronic brake controllers. Since activating the break away switch with umbilical connected to the TV can damage the controller, I would seem prudent to make sure the length of the cable is adjusted so that during an unhitching incident, the umbilical comes out first.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 04:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excella CM View Post
Another parameter for break away cable length concerns newer high-tech electronic brake controllers. Since activating the break away switch with umbilical connected to the TV can damage the controller, I would seem prudent to make sure the length of the cable is adjusted so that during an unhitching incident, the umbilical comes out first.
I think that the umbilical would be the last thing I would worry about with reference to damaging the controller. For the record, I use a plastic tie around the umbilical plug and the retaining cap on the car plug to prevent an accidental "unplugging" of the umbilical. I'm not sure what would happen to the plug and socket during a catastropic break away - but I really don't care!

The other question I have is just where to secure the break away cable to the tow vehicle??? I've yet to find anything on my TV that is'nt in some way related to the hitch assembly and I often question whether or not that's really important. The safety chains assume that the receiver framework will still be intact in a break away - so it would take a "catastropic break away" - i.e. - the entire receiver would have to separate from the TV, or the safety chains would have to break, before the trailer brakes would activate. I can see that happening in a collision involving the TV and the trailer (---at which point who cares what happened first?) but how common would it be for the receiver assembly to fail simultaneously at all of it's connecting points while in a normal towing mode??? Likewise, if the safety chains aren't capable of restraining a runaway trailer (---one that has jumped off the ball---) what good are they??? I have every confidence that, aside from a buggered up tongue jack and damaged propane tanks, my TV would be capable of maintaining control of the trailer if it jumped off the ball and the chains picked up the load. That's another reason I like towing with the dually. I will admit that if one side of the receiver assembly broke free it might lead to loss of control - but that wouldn't have anything to do with the safety chains or the break away switch.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 07:58 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excella CM View Post
Hi, I'm with Cracker; If my break away cable got snagged on something and destroyed my brake controller, I wouldn't be too happy. But in the event of a trailer disconnect and possible accident in progress, let the brake controller burn. [my opinion]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:01 PM   #19
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Likewise, if the safety chains aren't capable of restraining a runaway trailer (---one that has jumped off the ball---) what good are they???

There is a thread here specifically about safety chains -- including US DOT regulations -- and the simple answer is that EACH CHAIN must be able to handle the trailer weight.

A breakaway line "loop" can be attached to the frame, with the above proviso it be in such a location that the cable is neither too long nor tangles itself, etc.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 09:35 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Oceanside , California
My beakaway cable is longer than my chains, but I donít have any real reason for this length. I have wondered how things would play out if the AS ever came loose from the TV. Doesnít it seem that once a properly weighted tongue hit the pavement that the AS would stop very quickly even without the brakes? Maybe the requirement for a breakaway switch takes into account variables such as a trailer without any tongue weight, or one with front wheels like some semi rigs have. I also wonder if a loose trailer with suddenly activated brakes would be more dangerous to the traffic behind the incident than one that scraped itself to a stop.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:36 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Trust me that trailer will not stop without trippin the breakaway. I lost a loaded flat with only a fraction of the weight of your trailer . It broke the chains and passed me in town into oncoming traffic,made a right turn over the curb and hit a small tree 30 feet off the road. Fortunately no one was hurt or damage done,but its was embarrising. This trailer was not required to have a breakaway.
If you hit this mess U ARE FOLLOWING TO CLOSE.Aways apply the two second rule and when towin make it 5 seconds. SAFETY SAFETY SAFTEY
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:15 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Oceanside , California
My beakaway cable is longer than my chains, but I donít have any real reason for this length. I have wondered how things would play out if the AS ever came loose from the TV. Doesnít it seem that once a properly weighted tongue hit the pavement that the AS would stop very quickly even without the brakes? Maybe the requirement for a breakaway switch takes into account variables such as a trailer without any tongue weight, or one with front wheels like some semi rigs have. I also wonder if a loose trailer with suddenly activated brakes would be more dangerous to the traffic behind the incident than one that scraped itself to a stop.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:41 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I believe the important thing is to secure the breakaway tether to some other part of the TV's hitch than where the tow chains attach - if the tow chain hooks were to break that part of the hitch, and the breakaway is also hooked there, it may come loose without application.

I want the breakaway tether longer than the chains, as it seems to me:

1. In the event of a coupler/hitch failure...
2. The safety chains will come into play to hold things together.
3. In the event the chains then fail, I want the breakaway switch tether cable to operate the trailer brakes and bring that 'missile' to a quick 'whoa'!
Old 11-10-2008, 10:29 PM   #24
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Chains & Cable

This is the way we do it, cable slightly longer than chains and secured to the left lift gate latch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	06 BURB SHAKEDOWN TRIP 018.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	408.8 KB
ID:	71216  

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:38 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
New answer for old question.

Hi, I now have a new answer for an old question. "How long should the break away cable be?" Well on my last trip, December 2008, something happened to my breakaway cable. Some how it rubbed on snow and ice on the road and wore it'self into two pieces. I bought a new cable and was currious as to the length of it and compared it to the old cable; They both measured right at 48"s. Therefore that must be the standard length.

My cable was routed through the chain, originally, but I'm thinking of maybe running it another way. Maybe like ROBERT CROSS did. Anyone else run their break away cable differently?

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:42 AM   #26
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I now have a new answer for an old question. "How long should the break away cable be?" Well on my last trip, December 2008, something happened to my breakaway cable. Some how it rubbed on snow and ice on the road and wore it'self into two pieces. I bought a new cable and was currious as to the length of it and compared it to the old cable; They both measured right at 48"s. Therefore that must be the standard length.

My cable was routed through the chain, originally, but I'm thinking of maybe running it another way. Maybe like ROBERT CROSS did. Anyone else run their break away cable differently?
Some owners tie a tight knot in the cable to shorten it's length.

The cable should easily move about, but not enough to let it touch the pavement.

Andy
Old 12-27-2008, 01:06 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Correct me if I'm wrong....

Hello all -

Read this thread with great interest!

Firstly, having had a LONG time AS tower advise me that the Break Away lead needed to be attached to something OTHER than the hitch, I drilled a small hole in the bumper ('01 Burb) and attached an eyebolt there. Use a carabiner to attach the cable there.

This is where I now attach the Break away cable. This thinking is, that is when the un-thinkable happens and the hitch or receiver fails, then the chains will be able to hold the trailer for a reasonable stop..... if the chains fail, then there is a STRAIGHT pull on the Breakaway switch and the trailer will have power AS LONG as the umbilical stay attached....

So the Breakaway is SHORTER than the umbilical, but longer than the chains..... this provides easy turning ability without any worry that the cable will pull and embarassment will result.

So far, so good. And so SAFE!

The gentleman that provided me with the above knowledge has towed quite successfully for better than 50 years with nary a problem... likely the result of excellent knowledge he gleaned from others, and now passed on to me, and by extension, YOU!

NO warrenty given or implied. You are on your own.

Just my .02 cents!

SilverToy
Old 12-28-2008, 04:25 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Silvertoy....I believe it would be unimportant if the umbilical parted before or after the breakaway switch, as the electric brakes are energized by the trailer's onboard battery(s) - for just that reason - that the brakes will be applied even if power is lost from the tow vehicle.

I like your idea of installing an eyebolt on the TV to secure the breakaway cable.

BTW...all the breakaway switches I've seen, are mounted with one bolt on the 'rear' of the switch, so it can pivot to allow a straighter 'pull' if the tongue swings sideways...It might be a good idea to check that mount to be sure it still 'swings' easily...Rusty or bent parts might restrict the movement on older rigs...take a look next time you hook-up...

Tags
brakes, emergency, hitch, safety, brakeaway