it should look like this

john

Old 07-11-2008, 05:32 PM   #16
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE
In 35 years of towing with WD hitch I have never heard of anyone dropping the bars before backing up. Just stop and think about this before considering it as an option. Have you ever had to back up while on the road say during a K turn? Would you get out and drop the bars then?
I sure would if I were backing 90 degrees, I don't want to bend the trailer tongue, receiver, and mount for the friction sway control like I did the very first time I backed in to a tight spot with them attached. It cost me $300 to learn never to do that again--ever. Oh, and if you doubt me, I'll be happy to post pictures of the bent receiver, I still have it in storage as a reminder.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:11 PM   #17
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
Sorry don't want to hijack this thread but, someone mentioned that a single axel trailer was more prone to sway than a 2 or 3 axel.
Is that right? If so, why?
We are looking at the 20 foot model and this information would help making our minds up.
Thanks
Old 07-11-2008, 08:22 PM   #18
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
Sorry don't want to hijack this thread but, someone mentioned that a single axel trailer was more prone to sway than a 2 or 3 axel.
Is that right? If so, why?
We are looking at the 20 foot model and this information would help making our minds up.
Thanks
A two axle trailer tends to try to keep both its axles going in a straight line, so they are easier to tow, as the axles themselves assist with the sway issue. They also don't bounce as bad as a single axle trailer, and they can be, depending on your perspective, easier to back up, as the axles again resist pivoting, and don't jacknife as fast backing up.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:52 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Despite threats of sure doom by some, W/D systems are not needed on many trailers. A truck carrying a light tongue weight doesn't need it, IMO, based on thousands of miles pulling several different 19' Airstreams. A 31 or 34 foot trailer with 1/2 ton of tongue weight could be a different matter, as I've never had the privilege of pulling one. The most dangerous towing I've experienced was in a 3/4 ton Dodge with W/D pulling a 19' Bambi. Any exit ramp taken at the posted limit of 35 or 45 mph was scary. It wouldn't turn. The same trailer behind my Sprinter, no W/D, handles like a dream, and can whipped around confidently.
If there was any liability in pulling without a W/D hitch, Airstream would require it. I drove away from my Airstream dealer a couple of years ago with a new 19' CCD. Not only did he not push me to buy a W/D hitch, he said that I don't need it. He was right.
Sway control is another matter, and some vehicle dynamics, and suspension design, may call for it. As it is usually only available as part of a W/D package, you may have to get one to get the other. With my rig/trailer I don't get pushed around by truck wind, and I was once in 50-60 mph crosswinds that, believe it or not, I hardly felt. It was amazing, and I'll always remember how impressed I was by that experience. I'm convinced that the shape of the Airstream makes it less prone to winds, just as they say. The low center of gravity makes it stable, just as they say. W/D systems are not always necessary, and, like extended warranties, not always money well spent. I'm suggesting trying it with, and without, and judge for yourself.