Old 06-07-2016, 03:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Decatur , Texas
Blue Ox WDH on a F150

I'm looking for some advice on the installation of a Blue Ox WDH on my F150. My question is if the standard 7 hole hitch mount that comes with the WDH will work or not, here is some info that makes me doubtful:

Will be taking delivery of a 2017 23FB next month and Airstream has the hitch ball height listed at 17.75".

The Blue Ox Installation Instructions has an illustration of the 7 hole hitch at its' lowest position having the top of low rise hitch ball at 2" above the centerline of a standard 2" receiver.

Measuring the height of my F150 receiver has the centerline at 19" above the ground. This means the best I can do using the lowest position on the 7 hole Blue Ox is a hitch ball height of 21" which is 3.25" higher than the hitch ball height listed by Airstream.

I have not read any Threads about people having to get the 9 hole receiver so I am just curious to what is going on.....

Please don't tell me to call Blue Ox, I have already talked to them twice and to tell you the truth, I just want to hear from people who have actually hitched up a Blue Ox to a Truck with similar measurements.

Thanks, Alan!

Old 06-07-2016, 04:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Do as I did, contact Blue Ox. They sent me a new longer 9 hole drop bar for free. Offered to send the original back and they said "keep it".

Old 06-07-2016, 04:33 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Decatur , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Do as I did, contact Blue Ox. They sent me a new longer 9 hole drop bar for free. Offered to send the original back and they said "keep it".
That's good to know. I have not bought the Blue Ox yet, maybe etrailer.com can just send me the 9" instead of the 7". My Airstream Dealership is kind of insisting to have everything set up when I pick it up, so I was just wanting to be sure that I had the right parts when I go to pick it up.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:08 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
Is your truck lifted? I have a Chevy 1500 and my Blue Ox is set one hole from the bottom. Truck and trailer level front to back.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:48 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Decatur , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco52 View Post
Is your truck lifted? I have a Chevy 1500 and my Blue Ox is set one hole from the bottom. Truck and trailer level front to back.
No, not lifted, but it is a 4x4 with the Off Road pkg so maybe higher than some other F150s.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:30 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' International
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Pilot View Post
I'm looking for some advice on the installation of a Blue Ox WDH on my F150. My question is if the standard 7 hole hitch mount that comes with the WDH will work or not, here is some info that makes me doubtful:

Will be taking delivery of a 2017 23FB next month and Airstream has the hitch ball height listed at 17.75".

The Blue Ox Installation Instructions has an illustration of the 7 hole hitch at its' lowest position having the top of low rise hitch ball at 2" above the centerline of a standard 2" receiver.

Measuring the height of my F150 receiver has the centerline at 19" above the ground. This means the best I can do using the lowest position on the 7 hole Blue Ox is a hitch ball height of 21" which is 3.25" higher than the hitch ball height listed by Airstream.

I have not read any Threads about people having to get the 9 hole receiver so I am just curious to what is going on.....

Please don't tell me to call Blue Ox, I have already talked to them twice and to tell you the truth, I just want to hear from people who have actually hitched up a Blue Ox to a Truck with similar measurements.

Thanks, Alan!
I have an F-150 with the 7 hole receiver. It works fine for me. When I connect the trailer my suspension drops about 2 1/4 inches and after engaging the WD it brings the trailer within 1/2" down in front. Truck level all around. My rear wheel opening b4 hooking up the trailer is at 39 1/4 inch. I have Bilstein shocks all the way around and Roadmaster helper springs on the rear springs.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:40 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
The 7 hole receiver should work just right for your situation. I worried about the same issue with our F150 and FC25FB before we brought it home. Let us know how it goes for you.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:47 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Blue Ox WDH on F150

I also have a 2016 F-150 (with Max Tow Package) and use the Blue Ox WDH with the 7 hole receiver. So far (about 2,000 miles towing our 2015 FC 25FB), so good.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:09 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by D2LLIO View Post
I also have a 2016 F-150 (with Max Tow Package) and use the Blue Ox WDH with the 7 hole receiver. So far (about 2,000 miles towing our 2015 FC 25FB), so good.

I have the same truck and hitch set up and have towed 7000 miles(27FC)
The 9 hole receiver is big and heavy. It also seems like it would be in the way. With the 7 hole I can open my tailgate while hitched up. Glad I didn't need the 9 hole receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 06-08-2016, 10:04 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Decatur , Texas
Well I went by my Airstream Dealership today and measured a 2017 19' that had just arrived and sure enough it was right at 18". Now the 23FB is suppose to be about 1/2" taller, so that will help but in all the Blue Ox Instructions and videos they want the TV ball to be no more than 1" above the trailer hitch height - I will be about 3" above....even the Airstream rep thought I should go with the longer 9 hole version.

Everybody that is saying I would be OK with the 7 hole - can you tell me the height above ground your receiver is? Mine is 18" to the bottom of where the 2" hitch slides in, and 20" to the top - kinda obvious...

I would prefer the 7 hole but mathmatically it just does not work out to the Blue Ox Instructions.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:36 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
Port Townsend , Washington
For what it is worth: I have a F-150 (2015 Lariat Scab, with a max towing pkg) and a 19' Bambi and a Blue Ox. We switched from a Highlander this winter so I did have to adjust things but it works fantastic now! However I do have a "standard" Blue Ox which has 6 holes. But the ability to flip the receiver enabled me to easily tweak things and properly align the ball height with the trailer. So I too think you should be fine with the 7 hole receiver.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:19 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiho Silver View Post
I have the same truck and hitch set up and have towed 7000 miles(27FC)
The 9 hole receiver is big and heavy. It also seems like it would be in the way. With the 7 hole I can open my tailgate while hitched up. Glad I didn't need the 9 hole receiver.

Curious, the extended 9 hole bar goes down not up. How does that effect the tail gate? The 9 hole certainly is heavy. I fabricated a little 4 wheel platform to wheel it around.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:23 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Curious, the extended 9 hole bar goes down not up. How does that effect the tail gate? The 9 hole certainly is heavy. I fabricated a little 4 wheel platform to wheel it around.
I thought in order to get the needed height you would have to flip it over, so the extra holes were on top, guess you didn't have to do that

Old 06-09-2016, 11:35 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' International
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Pilot View Post
Well I went by my Airstream Dealership today and measured a 2017 19' that had just arrived and sure enough it was right at 18". Now the 23FB is suppose to be about 1/2" taller, so that will help but in all the Blue Ox Instructions and videos they want the TV ball to be no more than 1" above the trailer hitch height - I will be about 3" above....even the Airstream rep thought I should go with the longer 9 hole version.

Everybody that is saying I would be OK with the 7 hole - can you tell me the height above ground your receiver is? Mine is 18" to the bottom of where the 2" hitch slides in, and 20" to the top - kinda obvious...

I would prefer the 7 hole but mathmatically it just does not work out to the Blue Ox Instructions.
I learned to ignore the 1" above the trailer hitch height references. What is more important is how much your suspension settles from the weight of the trailer tongue on it. Mine settles over 2 inches and the WD engaged will only pick up about 1 inch. So I set the ball height accordingly and this of course varies from TV to TV.